No announcement yet.

Gripe - overcooking meat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early on in our marriage we had a friendly competition each week to try and get 'meal of the week', just to stop us from sliding into an half-assed rut. Now we have kids, they have taken their appreciation of our cooking to another level, from 'meal of the week' -> 'meal of the century', or even 'meal of the millenium'.

Of course, that usually correlates with days when they forgot to have afternoon tea....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by Cierra
      He is really picky, in a childlike kind of way. I am just glad that he ate something instead of substituting his meal with soda. I don't ever give him earfuls, I just try and accept that if he doesn't like it, it isn't his fault or my fault. I wouldnt be very happy if he lied and forced himself to eat it....

Tonight, he happily ate a buttery, seared pork chop with roasted purple potatoes and a ton of broccoli. He didn't even ask for bread, which is a huuuuge deal. AND he had bacon & eggs for breakfast! (With a cheesy English muffin on the side, but still...) I love cooking for him and gently persuading him toward a Primal way of eating, but, just as I wouldn't appreciate him nagging me to guzzle coca cola, white bread, and velveeeta, he doesn't want my way of eating forced on him.
      I can appreciate that. Mine is slowly starting not to ask me if I want to go out for ice cream, but he still offers pizza and bread. I will keep offering him bacon and eggs (or some other protein) for breakfast; It's on him if he wants to keep choosing the cereal. Proof is in the (Primal) pudding - hungry an hour after the cereal or hours later with the protein.

Comment

Originally posted by LauraSB View Post
        Smart man! Mine has taken a cue from my father, who is gracious to a fault sometimes. His code for gross is "that was good, but we don't have to have it again". LOL. For some reason though, since I started cooking primal, I never hear that any more. It's more likely to be "Damn, baby, you hit it out of the ballpark again". He loves that I'm never trying to force "healthy" portions of meat on him any more.
        Mm, "unhealthy" portions of meat. I have always known that my body functions best on this kind of fuel. Healthy-schmealthy.

Originally posted by LauraSB View Post
        When the kiddos were little we trained them to say, " I think that might be too sophisticated for my palate", rather than "gross". Completely hilarious coming out of a 4yo!
        I love this! Filing away for future children.

Comment

I couldn't even salvage the meat since the joe sauce was thickened with corn starch and flour.

Comment

My boyfriend didn't know me when I used to bake everything from scratch and make my own pasta. If he wanted I'd make him rice flour biscuits and gravy for a special occasion. But he's fine with eggs, bacon, and potatoes.

Comment

I am one of those women who will not accept bitchin' about any food I work hard to buy, prepare, and put on the table. I have too much anxiety about food to handle it, and I don't see why I should. Eat it or starve, sucker! Or make your own food. No complaining. Luckily my own SO loves what I've made so far.

However, if he truly loves his meat overdone, well, I don't see that as such a big deal. Cut it into two parts and let him keep cooking until it's ruined, whatever.

But if someone called my cooking gross and demanded a re-do, I'd keep the steak and ditch the SO. Or at least, stop cooking for them.

Comment

I would say yes... but that's because I prefer all my meat raw and he likes it to at least "greet" the pan.
                --
                Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                I'd apologize, but...

Comment

I went to a cooking seminar once and the chef (from a fancy restaurant) said he refused to cook meat above medium. If anything cooked more than medium was ordered, he cooked it medium anyways and covered it in sauce so the customer couldn't tell. Sounds like a good plan to me haha.
                  Last edited by Danni; 03-06-2013, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danni View Post
                    I went to a cooking seminar once and the chef (from a fancy restaurant) said he refused to cook meat above medium. If anything cooked more than medium was ordered, he cooked it medium anyways and covered it in sauce so the customer couldn't tell. Sounds like a good plan to me haha.
                    I heard a similar story about chefs who swap a good piece of meat out for one of lesser quality when some sucker orders it well done. Won't know the difference anyway, and is really likely to coat it in steak sauce/ketchup. Shudder.

Comment

Originally posted by vintageeats View Post
                      I heard a similar story about chefs who swap a good piece of meat out for one of lesser quality when some sucker orders it well done. Won't know the difference anyway, and is really likely to coat it in steak sauce/ketchup. Shudder.

Yup, happened to my hubby, he ordered a very well done filet, they gave him wd sirloin.
                      Weve never been back to that resturant.. And yes .. He could tell the difrence
                      Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                      X