I'm pretty sure I'm getting fatter!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm pretty sure I'm getting fatter!

Ok, this is not working. Not only am I gaining weight by the scale; I'm also getting visibly fatter.

I've cut carbs to less than 100 grams a day. I'm cutting out fruit and liquid dairy like milk and yogurt.

Should I also start counting calories?!?

I wasn't fat when I started this two months ago, but I'm afraid if I keep it up, I will be!

Please post a daily diet. How much have you gained and how long have you been doing PB? Are you exercising?

Comment

Calories are still important eh? If you're not burning more than you're eating, yeah, you'll gain weight. Why not check out sparkpeople or fitday.com

Enter in a few days worth of eating and see where you are. Maybe you're eating too much protein and fat and not enough veg?
      SW: 235
      CW:220
      Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
      Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
      Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
      Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

How much weight have you gained? 2 pounds? 10 pounds?

Comment

I've got no real advice, just sympathy. The more primally I eat, the more I gain. So annoying.

I've started logging again to see what my calories are like... right now I'm eating 1500 a day, but it's entirely possible I was eating more when I knew I wouldn't have to see the number. =P Can't hurt to at least log a few days so you have precise numbers to give the more helpful folks here. =]
          "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

It could also be a sign of an underlying pathology which isn't ameliorated by a primal diet. Thyroid issues, for example, can be exacerbated by the way that some people eat when they go low carb.
            Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Comment

I've gained about two pounds in two months. This morning I had two eggs fried in butter, some carrots and some collard greens. For lunch I had an ounce of goat cheese, about an ounce of chicken, and half a cup of cooked potatoes maybe, left over from the night before. This was on a salad with a little olive oil, and the potatoes had some fat on them from a casserole. (I don't eat potatoes every day, maybe once a week.) I had a handful of nuts and some more carrots when I got home from work. I had a hamburber and some more collard greens for supper. That's pretty typical.

Yesterday I had a blueberry smoothie for breakfast, a big salad for lunch with some chicken on it, and some chicken vegetable soup for supper, and some cashews during the day.

My exercising habits are: about 45 minutes to an hour walk every day, yoga three times a week for about 45 minutes.

I think I need to start tracking calories more. I used to use nutritiondata.com, but it's very slow. I think I will try some of the other ones people recommended.

Comment

Ok, I did Fitday for today. It's better than nutritiondata because it's faster. My calories today added up to about 1400. Fat was about half. 80 grams of carbs.

Gaining two pounds may not seem like a big deal, but I'm a short person. I'm 5'3" and weigh about 137 now, up from 135. I'm 56 years old, female.

Comment

Fitday.com is great. We are very likely to overestimate activity and underestimate caloric intake - the simple act of tracking these things does wonders for what we end up putting in our bodies.

(Also, depending on the size of your hands, a handful of nuts has a lot of calories - if you're going to eat them, take your typical "handful" and weight or measure them, just so you know exactly how many calories you're consuming next time you reach for a hand full of them).

Comment

I see too many carbs and not enough fat for you to kick-start ketosis. Cut the carbs down to less than 50 per day - ideally, less than 20 per day - and increase your fat intake to 80% of your total caloric intake. If you still don't see an improvement, it's time to see the doctor and get some things checked out, such as your thyroid.

Best of luck!
                    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Carrots, nuts, and that smoothie--I see too many carbs, but as a female a bit older than you, I'd also suggest (as others) that you probably need to watch your calories at your age, so you should check that aspect carefully.

In addition, "2 pounds" for a woman is an illusion. I can gain and lose 5 lbs within one day from water retention/loss. We tend to fluctuate a lot back and forth.

However, it's good that you want to address this issue before it gets out of hand, so reduce the carbs and check your caloric consumption. Don't go by any charts of what you "should" consume. I find that I can't lose on the 'recommended' level--but I'm hypothyroid.

Comment

Start using fitday.com and create your own custom foods so that you know exactly what you are eating. For right now, weigh every single gram of food. What is your age, height, and weight?
                        http://sterlingadvice.blogspot.com
                        http://teambeachbody.com/coachster
                        sterlingpurdy@gmail.com

Comment

Everyone is going to give you a lot of advice on how you can lose weight, instead of gain weight or maintain weight, on a primal or low-carb diet, so I won't. I'm having the same problem. I've tried all the solutions offered here, in other forums, and in books. I'm not gaining, but I'm not losing, either.

My suggestion is that you try all the different advice, lowering carbs/increasing fat, counting calories, increasing carbs/decreasing fat, exercise more/differently, etc., for 2 weeks at a time, to find what works best for you. Some people do better on very low carb, while others don't. We are all unique individuals, and we have to find our own way through this. Some in the low-carb/Paleo community believe that there is one carb/fat percentage solution for everyone. Is that true? I'll leave that up to you to decide.

If you've been off and on low-calorie/low-fat diets over the years, like most women, I suggest you read this book No, it's not primal, but it contains a lot of great information on what happens to your body when it gets into a cycle of starvation mode from CW diets.

Comment

Thanks for the book suggestion, Suzan. I put it on my wish list at amazon.

I think tracking calories, etc, more closely should help. I like Fitday better than the other online thing I was using, which was so slow as to be almost not useful. I like it that it keeps records from day to day, too, unlike the other one.

In the past I lost weight when eating a very high carb vegetarian diet, so for me it's not just about changing the composition of the food I'm eating: it's probably just as much about calories. I was sort of hoping I wouldn't have to count calories any more if I did a more primal diet, but alas, this seems to not be the case.

I have more energy on this diet, though, so I will probably stick to it. Also I feel more optimistic, even though I'm killing and eating animals!! ;-) (not really killing yet, but I plan to in the near future.)

I don't think I have any thyroid problems. I'm pretty healthy generally and have never been overweight (or not yet anyway).

My new theory is that evolution made old women very efficient users of calories so that we could eat less and give our surplus of hunted, gathered, and gardened food to our daughters and grandchildren. Having a very generous grandmother like this would no doubt confer a competitive advantage on the lucky offspring. However, I feel lucky myself that at this point I don't have to feed hungry toddler grandchildren (again, not yet anyway).

Now, who should I give my surplus to? (Last summer I canned a lot of it and gave it away from Christmas, to people even fatter than me!)

Comment

I didn't start PB to lose weight, as I am at a fairly ideal weight already. However, I did notice a slight gain based on the amount I was eating. I am still not convinced that if you reduce carbs low enough that you can eat as many calories that you want. At least based on my experience. My opinion so far is that the people who are successful at losing weight on a low carb diet do so because the higher fat and protein keep them full and satisfied. Therefore, they require fewer calories overall, and thus lose weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X