Carb sources?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Carbs do nothing to help my hunger. Fat and protein satiate me.

Starch and sweet are CRAVINGS for me, whether I'm hungry or not. This is a mental game for me. The *desire* for sweet, starchy splurges never really goes away.

I have more success when I focus on making delicious and decadent MEALS, with top quality ingredients. For example, last night we had t-bone steak, salad, sauteed mushrooms and baked potatoes. It felt like a decadent splurge, and I was full and satisfied. So while I was tempted by the pie and ice cream the rest of the family was eating later on, I was still FULL and able to resist the urge.
    Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
      I am IR, I eat plenty of carbs and lose weight still (nearly 100 lbs!). There's not one solution for everyone, and just being IR isn't a RX for low carb dieting.
      From your post, I assume you do not have a problem with post prandial blood glucose spikes. If so, how do you know you are IR? What are your symptoms? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
        From your post, I assume you do not have a problem with post prandial blood glucose spikes. If so, how do you know you are IR? What are your symptoms? Thanks.
        My fasting glucose is high on and off (100-110s). They (the PP spikes) vary greatly. Often my pp numbers are within range when I get ample fat and protein in my meal, but oddly enough when I was doing lower carb and high fat, my numbers were often higher! It really depends on what I eat and when and how much. I have tested after drinking soda and Chinese food (out of sheer curiosity) and it was 117 one hour PP, and i had to have had at least 150-200g in one meal. Yet many times I tested after a modest 20g carb meal and it was in the 150s.

I should add that my prescription medication artificially raises my BG and trigs and I have severe hormonal imbalance; my DHEA was near nonexistent on my last test. Day to day is different for me. Some days my FBG is normal 80s, some days over 100. For whatever reason(s), I seem to be cyclically IR, if there's even such a thing! Exercise also spikes my BG.

Another interesting thing is that sometimes I "crash" when i overeat high-fat meals, but many times I have uncontainable energy after eating a carb-heavy meal. I literally become bouncy and feel amazzzzing. I'm strange, for sure.
        | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
          My fasting glucose is high on and off (100-110s). They (the PP spikes) vary greatly. Often my pp numbers are within range when I get ample fat and protein in my meal, but oddly enough when I was doing lower carb and high fat, my numbers were often higher! It really depends on what I eat and when and how much. I have tested after drinking soda and Chinese food (out of sheer curiosity) and it was 117 one hour PP, and i had to have had at least 150-200g in one meal. Yet many times I tested after a modest 20g carb meal and it was in the 150s.

I should add that my prescription medication artificially raises my BG and trigs and I have severe hormonal imbalance; my DHEA was near nonexistent on my last test. Day to day is different for me. Some days my FBG is normal 80s, some days over 100. For whatever reason(s), I seem to be cyclically IR, if there's even such a thing! Exercise also spikes my BG.

Another interesting thing is that sometimes I "crash" when i overeat high-fat meals, but many times I have uncontainable energy after eating a carb-heavy meal. I literally become bouncy and feel amazzzzing. I'm strange, for sure.
          Yikes, and I thought I had a problem! The only good thing about my IR is that it is very predictable. I pretty much know what my BG will do in response to how much (a big bulky salad really does a number on me), how many carbs and how much protein I eat. Yes, I can get a spike from too much protein but it isn't an issue when I stay at or below 30g/meal. Good-luck!

Comment

You are at an optimal height/weight ratio so i dont see any reason to lower your carb intake. Eat what makes you feel good. Jenn was spot on that it could by a mineral imbalance that is making you thirsty.

Also as for shrinking some places, since you probably dont have much actual fat to lose, maybe try some weight training to add muscle to the right places.

Comment

Working...
            X