Nuts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts

I'm sure I am not the first to ask this question, but I wanted to know if almonds slow down weight loss. Every time I have a question then I read it back it just seems like an obvious bad question. This may be one of those.

They can because they're carby, contain lectins, and have high n-6 PUFA. Make no mistake, they're good for you, but you can definitely overdo it, and they aren't fantastic for weight loss.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Comment

I limit them for the sake of their omega-6 content, but I know others who occasionally indulge with no problems. Some people on the forums who are looking to lose weight have found that eliminating all nuts and dairy has helped in reaching their goals.

Comment

And they're really calorie dense and too easy to eat too many.

Comment

I still eat them pretty regularly (macadamia's more so than almonds), but being in weight loss mode, I pre-weigh a small portion in the morning (usually an ounce, maybe two depending on how physical the day will be) and that's my allotment for the day. I'm sunk if I keep a bigger bag of them handy! Also, I'm prepared to give them up (hopefully only temporarily!) should my weight loss stall or slow way down (which I'm expecting to start happening soon as I get closer to my target...).

Comment

They did raise my BG reading a little. Darn things are so good. Thanks for the input. I guess they get locked up for a while.

Comment

I've noticed soaking them reduces the chance of overeating, that's in my experience. Probably has to do with the absence of anti-nutrients and the nutrients actually activating satiety hormones.
              sigpic
              In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Originally posted by EGYnutrition View Post
                I've noticed soaking them reduces the chance of overeating, that's in my experience. Probably has to do with the absence of anti-nutrients and the nutrients actually activating satiety hormones.
                then there's the other problem... i like them more when they're soaked. ah well.
                I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

When I cut out nuts inadvertantly (I couldn't make it to my fave store for a big bag for a few weeks) I noticed some weight loss. I think i was just in the habit of eating a handful at 10am each morning for no particular reason.

Comment

Nuts are so easy to over-eat. I made a rule. No nuts in my house if they don't have a shell. The shells slow me down- lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                      Nuts are so easy to over-eat. I made a rule. No nuts in my house if they don't have a shell. The shells slow me down- lol.
                      They don't when you soak them haha. The shells actually come off quicker.

Funkadelic thats weird! Soaked tastes so much better for sure! But I haven't overate on them since I started soaking.
                      sigpic
                      In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

I Love nuts, they haven't seemed to slow down my weight loss, but I keep them limited to 2-3 ounces a day. Oometimes lunch is a handful of nuts and some water if that is the case I might eat 3 ounces in a sitting.
                        Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

I LOVE my almonds! I have a handful once a day with my blueberries...

Comment

If you buy a bag of nuts you can spin them out for weeks. I'd recommend keeping them in the freezer so they don't go rancid. I usually have a bare handful (and I mean 11-13 halves) of macadamias once or twice a week, tops. Almonds I'll have once in a blue moon, so I keep the bag frozen the rest of the time. (This also slows down eating them!)
                            Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Well I went and vacumed sealed all my nuts They are going in the freezer except for a very small small amount about 10 of them every now and then. Hopefully this will work. I will miss them.

Comment

Working...
                              X