Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The max. burn from fat per day is 22kcal/lb?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The max. burn from fat per day is 22kcal/lb?

Someone said this on the fitness reddit and I hadn't heard it, so I asked for some links and was provided for:

The research: A limit on the energy transfer rate from the hu... [J Theor Biol. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI
    Previous reddit thread: Are you a beginner who wants to lose weight, wants to know what your calorie intake should be to best lose fat while retaining muscle? Here's a place to start. : Fitness
    Online calculator based on both: Lose fat fast without losing muscle! • Deflab.me

Thoughts?

Seems silly really. I appreciate the effort of putting it in mathematical terms of caloric load, but the reality is that resistance training and protein are the predominate ways to retain muscle while losing fat. A calculation of how much fat you could theoretically access and burn does nothing to promote the hormonal response necessary to do so. Any plan of action that does not adequately address protein needs and training is doomed to fail when it comes to body comp... no matter how much caloric arithmetic you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Atwood
      Rolls, bagels, cereals, low fat bran muffins, crackers, or Melba toast,
      Low fat protein such as peanut butter, lean meat, poultry or fish, or boiled eggs,
      Peanut butter is not low fat.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
        Peanut butter is not low fat.
        +1

You'd think the word 'butter' would have been a clue.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by Atwood
          Rolls, bagels, cereals, low fat bran muffins, crackers, or Melba toast,
          Yuck! Why?

Your linked website seems oddly anti-fat, pro whole wheat. Are you sure you're in the right place?

Comment

Originally posted by kayell View Post
            Yuck! Why?

Your linked website seems oddly anti-fat, pro whole wheat. Are you sure you're in the right place?
            In the right place to spam that website. All this person's posts are pushing a conventional diet.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
              In the right place to spam that website. All this person's posts are pushing a conventional diet.
              Because this is such a great place to pick up people who are into that. :eyes: Must want the ad views.

Comment

I tend to take most information like this as guidelines, and focus more on keeping intake low carb and making sure I get enough protein.

Comment

No way, the log rollers back in the day were said to require 10,000 calories per day to maintain their weight.

Comment

Working...
                  X