Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man dies of liver overdose - said noone ever.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    What color do they change to? Remember Hypercolor t-shirts?
    I had to google that - SO COOL I want one now.

Mostly the teeth enamels changes to a brown color. It's so weird.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
      I get overall inflammation in my mouth and my teeth change color. That might just be the high mineral content, though.
      According to nutrition.com data liver is "highly inflammatory".

Dont know if that's true, but I do know that I get an inflammatory response (flushing etc) to food quite easily and bleeding gums is a symptom of inflammation.
      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
        I had to google that - SO COOL I want one now.

Mostly the teeth enamels changes to a brown color. It's so weird.
        Too much copper in proportion to zinc.

Also, one should never eat too much liver at once. Limit to 8oz a month. Though, it's definitely not the vitamin a that is causing a problem. Vitamin a toxicity is overblown, and I've never heard of it happening aside from that case of heavy polar bear liver consumption in a climate that has a severe lack of sun(vitamin d). I personally get 10,000-100,000(in summer) IU per day. It depends on your thyroid and metabolism for processing it.
        Make America Great Again

Comment

LIVER!!! LIVER is what makes you LIVE! LIVER LIVER LIVER!
          The only problem is, this position ignores the interactions between fat-soluble vitamins. Vitamin D strongly protects agains vitamin A toxicity and vice versa. As a matter of fact, "vitamin A toxicity" is almost certainly a relative deficiency of vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency is also tightly correlated with low bone mineral density, osteoporosis and fracture risk. A high vitamin A intake requires vitamin D to balance it. The epidemiological studies showing an association between high-normal vitamin A intake and reduced bone health all sported populations that were moderately to severely vitamin D deficient on average. At optimal vitamin D levels, 40-70 ng/mL 25(OH)D, it would take a whopping dose of vitamin A to induce toxicity. You might get there if you eat nothing but beef liver for a week or two.
          Whole Health Source: Is Vitamin A Toxicity a Concern?
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
            According to nutrition.com data liver is "highly inflammatory".

Dont know if that's true, but I do know that I get an inflammatory response (flushing etc) to food quite easily and bleeding gums is a symptom of inflammation.
            That chart is a lot of bullshit.

Flushing and that inflammatory response is hypoglycemia from too much protein without adequate sugar to balance it out.
            Make America Great Again

Comment

8oz a month.... HAhhahahahahaah.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                8oz a month.... HAhhahahahahaah.
                There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Don't take my word for it though. If you're going to consume a lot of liver, you better be making sure to eat a ton of mussels too.

Too much liver suppresses thyroid.
                Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                  There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Don't take my word for it though. If you're going to consume a lot of liver, you better be making sure to eat a ton of mussels too.

Too much liver suppresses thyroid.
                  Yes Derp.

And I'll be sure to chase that with some Little Cesars and Coke...

BTW, Of course I eat shellfish. But I prefer clams, scallops, and oysters. Mussels are not magical.
                  In your opinion everything "suppresses thyroid", and yet mine is fine.
                  I've been eating more than 8oz of liver a month, every month, for most of my 40 years of life man.
                  Last edited by cori93437; 03-01-2013, 07:39 PM.
                  “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Why does everyone spell caesar wrong? Also, why do you have an irrational fear of food? I ate that pizza(whole large), chased it down with 6 mexican colas, chugged coffee and smoked a cigarette and I'm still alive. In fact, not only did I not die, but I'm feeling pretty fantastic and my abs have more definition to boot. Will I eat pizza regularly? No, of course not, because it definitely won't ever top a nice lb of dates with some good cheese. The quality is definitely not very good.

Mussel is just what I have always grouped shellfish in for some reason. Oysters are by far the best.
                    Make America Great Again

Comment

The copper claim has some validity to it and is why I vary my liiver source if I'm gonna eat over a pound a week. Chicken livers are relatively low in copper so I go to those for a week after having much ruminant liver. No reason to fear liver though. If you really can eat more than 2lbs of it a week I say more power to ya. It's one of those things I can only eat about a pound of though.

Compared to this......

"I ate that pizza(whole large), chased it down with 6 mexican colas, chugged coffee and smoked a cigarette and I'm still alive."

...please eat as many pounds of liver as you like rather than doing this.
                      Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-01-2013, 07:45 PM.

Comment

In your opinion everything "suppresses thyroid", and yet mine is fine.
                        I've been eating more than 8oz of liver a month, every month, for most of my 40 years of life man.
                        It's true, and maybe I shouldn't have attached an arbitrary number to it. But it should be kept within reason. I ate a lb of it in a month once, and was ok. Neckhammer brings up a nice point about liver balance and chicken liver, too bad I can't eat it cause I think it tastes like crap

Also, think of the iron content of liver. Best be drinking some coffee along with it.
                        Make America Great Again

Comment

I don't have an irrational fear of food... I just happen to think those food are crappy and disgusting.
                          And did even before I started Primal when I ate other bread and things.
                          I have always preferred quality foods.

I love good food.

Clams are the best shellfish IMO.
                          Specifically the Geoduck... raw. DELICIOUS.
                          Along with some seaweed salad. Mmmmm.

Chicken livers, duck livers, lamb livers, pork liver, RABBITrabbitRABBIT livers, occasional beef liver ... I like variety.

Pssst: Shell fish(bivalves) is just as high in iron as liver.
                          I have NEVER had high iron... always low or borderline low.
                          Last edited by cori93437; 03-01-2013, 07:51 PM.
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                            The copper claim has some validity to it and is why I vary my liiver source if I'm gonna eat over a pound a week. Chicken livers are relatively low in copper so I go to those for a week after having much ruminant liver. No reason to fear liver though.
                            Good to know. I haven't had chicken liver in forever only because I made a stupid decision at the farm when they didn't have any heart left, and I bought 10 lbs of beef liver to make up the cost of gas.

I'll be sure to make my next liver source from chicken or pork.

Comment

I don't have an irrational fear of food... I just happen to think those food are crappy and disgusting.
                              And did even before I started Primal when I ate other bread and things.
                              I have always preferred quality foods.

I love good food.

Clams are the best shellfish IMO.
                              Specifically the Geoduck... raw. DELICIOUS.
                              Along with some seaweed salad. Mmmmm.

Chicken livers, duck livers, lamb livers, pork liver, RABBITrabbitRABBIT livers, occasional beef liver ... I like variety.

Pssst: Shell fish(bivalves) is just as high in iron as liver.
                              I have NEVER had high iron... always low or borderline low.
                              I know, I soak my liver and oysters in milk so the calcium displaces some of the iron and drink coffee along with any meal that will contain iron in it and avoid vitamin c for 2-4 hours before and after having liver or oysters.

High iron is mostly a problem with men, I think, cause, yeah. I donate blood(though sometimes they refuse me cause of high pulse jerks) every 2 months, and take aspirin, and vitamin e. My iron was high 6 months ago, it's getting down to normal levels now.
                              Make America Great Again

Comment

By the way, I found this and could not resist loling and sharing:

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Sea lion, stellar, liver (Alaska Native)

Comment

Working...
                                X