How do I ....ahem... get bigger?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
    I see a big change - you lost the (small) moobs and the muffin top. You look great!
    This plus you have a really nice smile. Too bad you live in Norway.

Comment

Nice improvement johnny 767, bare forsett med det samme til det slutter å virke og juster ned på maten når du stagnerer...
      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

@YogaBare @eKatherine @Fynn @dilberryhoundog @Paleobird @Gorbag

Thanks for all your kind words of support – it’s just what I needed.

On the strength of your advice, I have changed my gym program around and am today stating my first IF.

These were yesterday in the gym. I want to improve arms and chest. I tend to do too much thigh work (because its relatively easy)

Comment

Hejså Johnny!

What kind of workout are you planning for chest and arms ?
          In my case, I don't necessarily want to bulk up but I told myself that my super healthy self (yet to come out fully ...) should be looking kind of like Bruce Lee (I have the same kind of frame and slightly Asian features). So I prefer workouts that involve the whole body, and as far away from the gym room as possible

But I confess that I had installed a pull-up bar at home which I use every day, useful during winter where it can be too challenging to be outdoor in Scandinavia (I live in DK but I am a southerner so I've been missing sunlight and long day time) . I try to get my wife to do her first pull-up as well because it is a critical thing to be able to do, could save your life in some situation. I believe that not caring too much about how I look but focusing more on body strength and agility will bring out my SHS (Super Healthy Self)

Comment

Originally posted by dkJames View Post
            Hejså Johnny!

What kind of workout are you planning for chest and arms ?
            In my case, I don't necessarily want to bulk up but I told myself that my super healthy self (yet to come out fully ...) should be looking kind of like Bruce Lee (I have the same kind of frame and slightly Asian features). So I prefer workouts that involve the whole body, and as far away from the gym room as possible

But I confess that I had installed a pull-up bar at home which I use every day, useful during winter where it can be too challenging to be outdoor in Scandinavia (I live in DK but I am a southerner so I've been missing sunlight and long day time) . I try to get my wife to do her first pull-up as well because it is a critical thing to be able to do, could save your life in some situation. I believe that not caring too much about how I look but focusing more on body strength and agility will bring out my SHS (Super Healthy Self)
            Hei dkJames

Takk!

I don’t really have anything planned yet – other than the gym once or twice a week. Weights, and sometimes boot camp/circuit training

Now that the snow has finally gone, I think I should be sprinting again (it’s over two years since I last sprinted!)

I am making slow progress with pull-ups; I can do 5 maximum now – but get reoccurring tendon (I think) pain if I over-do it. My aim is to do 8.

I suspect push-ups are the other obvious exercise too; this might be worth a look; one hundred push ups - welcome
            Good luck with achieving your SHS

Comment

To the OP. You've repeatedly referred to tendonitis in your upper arm. As some others have suggested, you need to DO something about that NOW or you will just make it worse. You weren't detailed about your pain, where exactly is it located? Sharp pain at the rear of the elbow, radiating up the tricep?

Earlier this year I developed tricep tendonitis in my left arm. Had to lay off upper body work outs for about 2 months AND do specific stretches to alleviate the problem. However, I also had previous back(2) and rotator cuff injuries resurface at the same time. I'm 55, sit at a desk 10hrs a day and though I do walk/hike quite a bit, I've found that I need to go real slow when it comes to increasing upper body exercises whether they be body weight or free weights.

Here's one article: The Best Exercises For Tricep Tendonitis | LIVESTRONG.COM
              Another: Triceps Tendonitis - Triceps Tendinitis - PhysioAdvisor
              I've found several videos on youtube showing various stretches and that's what I use. I keep using the stretches in the hope that it will prevent the problem from returning.

Comment

To the OP. You've repeatedly referred to tendonitis in your upper arm. As some others have suggested, you need to DO something about that NOW or you will just make it worse. You weren't detailed about your pain, where exactly is it located? Sharp pain at the rear of the elbow, radiating up the tricep?

Earlier this year I developed tricep tendonitis in my left arm. Had to lay off upper body work outs for about 2 months AND do specific stretches to alleviate the problem. However, I also had previous back(2) and rotator cuff injuries resurface at the same time. I'm 55, sit at a desk 10hrs a day and though I do walk/hike quite a bit, I've found that I need to go real slow when it comes to increasing upper body exercises whether they be body weight or free weights.

Here's one article: The Best Exercises For Tricep Tendonitis | LIVESTRONG.COM
                Another: Triceps Tendonitis - Triceps Tendinitis - PhysioAdvisor
                I've found several videos on youtube showing various stretches and that's what I use. I keep using the stretches in the hope that it will prevent the problem from returning.

Comment

Yeah I can definitely see a change in the two recent photos you posted - more defined and tight around your waist. You're looking great! You have awesome arms too You must be so proud of how far you've come when you compare yourself to the original photo.

Comment

[QUOTE=johnny767;1111993]

January 2012; The start of my determined effort to get into shape

Final gym session before leaving Norway. Returning to England after 4 years away!

Last edited by johnny767; 05-19-2013, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Well I got bigger - well much fatter.

I've been on the Whole30 for a week and making progress:

I’ve been going for almost 2 weeks now. As weighing myself is out, I took some pictures on day one and then one week later – I’ll take some more tomorrow.

I can see I’m losing weight, and looking (and feeling healthier!)

More pictures tomorrow

I am travelling for four consecutive days next week; so a bit worried about that!

Week 1 (one shot holding pic from 2 years ago)

Week 2

Comment

....I got distracted by the lint coming out of your belly button during week two. What was this thread about again?!?...hebs

ps...good work with getting back on track, stay with it

Comment

Originally posted by hebsie View Post
                          ....I got distracted by the lint coming out of your belly button during week two. What was this thread about again?!?...hebs

me too! yipes.

anyway, when i saw the title of the thread i didn't think it would be about "muscles".
                          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                          X