No announcement yet.

How do I ....ahem... get bigger?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would also recommend a leangains type approach. Customize it to your level. This really works well to maintain your muscle mass and cut fat if done properly. Some of the leangains people get some crazy carb sources (like eating a gallon of ice cream or a box of cereal to meet their macros) but you do not have to eat processed junk to get your carbs. There is a calculator you can use with leangians to see what macros you should shoot for on workout days and off days but I see it more as a guideline, since I am not doing a ton of heavy weightlifting with crossfit.

Keep us posted on how you are doing!
    5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
    Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

10-11-10
    Weight: 259
    Total Cholesterol: 243
    LDL: 188
    HDL: 40
    Trig: 96

2-18-11
    Weight: 228
    Total Cholesterol: 239
    LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)
    HDL: 46
    Trig: 49

6-23-11
    Weight: 197.2
    Total Cholesterol: 225
    LDL: 161 (calc), 120 (actual)
    HDL: 56
    Trig: 38

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      Am I the only one who was afraid to click the thread based on a misinterpretation of the title?
      Nope.

Comment

Leangains. But you're gonna have to be strict with all your counting, both food and exercises.

Comment

Am I the only one who was afraid to click the thread based on a misinterpretation of the title?
          i clicked it BECAUSE of the title

guys i don't get why OP should try to lean out before gaining muscle. why can't he work out to build up while cutting some calories?
          beautiful
          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
            Ugh. There is so more more to gaining lean mass or shedding fat then just eatin more or less. Types or exercise and workouts, calorie partitioning, calorie timing, macro breakdown. Sure you can eat you face off and gain some lean mass and also a bunch of fat, or restrict calories and lose weight (fat and lean mass) but whats the point of that?

Everyone is different. Train and eat smart and you can accomplish a lot more in a shorter amount of time.
            Nice straw man. First, one will gain some fat during a bulking process, that's why I said 15-20% above TDEE, which will minimize the amount of fat he will gain and will still be optimal for muscle growth. Calorie partitioning and calorie timing is irrelevant, what's important is that you meet your requirements by the end of the day in the long run. And in terms of losing weight, if it's a small deficit below TDEE along with a high amount of protein and a proper routine, the amount of lean mass lost will be very little, if any.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post

guys i don't get why OP should try to lean out before gaining muscle. why can't he work out to build up while cutting some calories?
              Because you really cant do both and being lean before bulking will shift weight gain in favor of lean mass. Lean out to under 15% bf before trying to add significant lean mass.

Comment

Originally posted by Darz View Post
                Nice straw man. First, one will gain some fat during a bulking process, that's why I said 15-20% above TDEE, which will minimize the amount of fat he will gain and will still be optimal for muscle growth. Calorie partitioning and calorie timing is irrelevant, what's important is that you meet your requirements by the end of the day in the long run. And in terms of losing weight, if it's a small deficit below TDEE along with a high amount of protein and a proper routine, the amount of lean mass lost will be very little, if any.
                I agree with all this.

10-20% above TDEE, 1g of protein and .5g fat per lb of LBM minimum, fill the rest of your calories with whatever, and whenever. Don't stress any timing; eat when you like.
                Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                MFP Food Diary:
                http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Maybe because it doesen't work that way?

OP should get rid of more of his bodyfat before trying to gain more muscle and consentrate on that, because you cannoth do both at the same time. Get down to 12 % bodyfat or so, stay there for around a month, and then start bulking by increasing calories and lifting heavy ass weights...
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Then here you go: Does losing weight increase the size of the penis of morbidly obese men
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                      Maybe because it doesen't work that way?
                      liek omg, i asked because he's eating 3000+ calories a day

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it looks bigger
                      beautiful
                      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                      lol

Comment

Ditto. Led down the garden path by an "ahem"
                        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Found this txt from the man him self..

"I have tried on several occasions to increase my muscle mass through a focused program of more intense weight-training and more copius eating. But I’m what we call a “hardgainer”. The most I was ever able to weigh was 169. That extra five pounds of muscle was not only difficult to achieve (and still keep body fat low) it was almost impossible to retain. I had to eat way more (and more often) than I intuitively wanted to and couldn’t skip more than a few hard workouts or I’d start to lose the muscle. I also couldn’t play hard without burning it up. I realized that this was a totally non-Primal pursuit."
                          Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
                          Height 5'9"
                          Start weight 200lb
                          Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
                          Goal was 168lb's

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I wish Iíd posed this question a year ago

Some Initial thoughts:

Diet

Iím surprised that 3000 calories a day is considered to be too much; according to Fitday, thatís almost exactly what I burn on a normal day (before any exercise at the gym). According to the advice given here; I would actually need to increase to 3600 a day to achieve slow bulk

I Ďm really not sure what to do about what I am eating; I had intended to go through March with carbs below 50 grams a day (thinking Ketosis would burn off some of the fat) and was intending to increase overall calorie intake.

The make-up of my diet doesnít vary much at all (ever);

Breakfast; tuna/salmon/smoked salmon/mackerel /chicken/sardines/eggs (up to 6 a day) with salad.. Lunch mostly the same. Dinner; steak/chicken/ground beef/pork chops/lamb chops/white fish/salmon/ with steamed vegetables; usually broccoli and cauliflower/cabbage

Iíve recently got hooked on protein shakes; which Iíve started making with coconut milk. Other than stopping the coconut milk, Iím not sure how I reduce fat and increase protein further.

I am going to read up on leangain; and intend to give it a shot.

Workouts

I thought I was pushing myself fairly hard at the gym. I steadily increase the weight (sometimes too ambitious and need to drop back). If I am not satisfied with the number of reps I can achieve; I make myself do my sets until I am satisfied. I find I need at least two or three rest days otherwise my performance deteriorates . I had assumed that if I could do two hard 90 minute sessions a week it would be enough Ė plus an occasional cardio session. Iím going to have a weights session tomorrow : Iíll record what I do here. I have been doing spin from time to time but will switch to ďboot campĒ.

Iím 52; I guess I need to modify aspirations and expectations a little. I think my current weight is around 198 lbs (6 ď 1í) is that typical for skinny fat? My waist has gone from 38 to 34 in 12 months.

Iíll get my arm checked out

Iíll really make an effort to get my head around the leangain principle Ė and the advice given here.

Iíll really commit for the next two months and see what I can achieve; Iíll post progress pictures. Until I know what Iím doing, or am advised to do otherwise, I will;

• Keep my calorie level about where it is now. Keep my carbs at 50 to 70 grams a day for March
                            • Increase the amounts that I am lifting (and frequency) introduce one boot camp or boxercise session a week
                            • Start sprinting (when the snow goes).

Iím excited by this!

Oh, and I was convinced that it had actually got bigger since my 265 lb days; I now find out itís probably just an optical illusion .

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                              I think you are a perfect candidate for a leangains approach (metabolic surge sounds like a leangains ripoff).
                              In my original comment I mentioned both LeanGains.com and Metabolic Surge by Nick Nilsson. He's a natural beast: 19" arms for a 5'9"-5'10" dude.

Him performing 30 reps of deadlifts using 350 lbs with a trap bar in his home gym.

High-Rep Trap Bar Deadlifts - 350 lbs x 30 reps - YouTube

To the OP, johnny767, I can e-mail you the Metabolic Surge program just send me a message. Or you can try reading through LeanGains and follow that style of training. Either should get you where you want to be. Nick (Metabolic Surge author) is an absolute professional and knows his stuff. The same goes for Martin Berkhan at LeanGains.com

I'm 5'10" and around 200 lbs so my daily maintenance is around 2700-3000 calories including activity level. 3000 calories seems like that would be your maintenance so try decreasing it by 250 calories. That's not a lot so it should be easy to accomplish.

If you've been around 3000 for a while now and haven't seen changes, and you're trying to decrease your body fat, the last thing I'd tell you to do is increase your calories.

Comment

Originally posted by boomingno View Post
                                Nope.
                                Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                                Ditto. Led down the garden path by an "ahem"
                                Every time this thread goes back to the top of the page I want to post this...
                                So here it is.
                                It'll help you... ahem... get bigger.
                                ďYou have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.Ē
                                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                                X