No announcement yet.

How do I ....ahem... get bigger?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as fat loss is concerned, the worst advice I ever got and continue to hear is "eat more". Every time I take this advice, I put on fat. I have generally found the calorie calculators to be roughly correct as far as what is needed calorically to lose fat for my age, height and weight. Adjusting it accordingly has produced the results I am looking for.

With regard to strength and muscle, my experience has been that it more depends on effort in the gym than food intake. A person can lose fat, eat a fairly low calorie level, and gain strength and muscle mass at the same time. Of course, if you want to get big, really big, then you must eat big. However, if you want to be lean and strong, then you don't have to eat big to accomplish that. Hunter gatherers that still populate small areas of our planet eat at a far lower level of calories, and yet are ripped beyond what most of us will ever achieve. They are not carb loading, taking supplements or worrying about macros in the least. They just eat whatever they can find.

Also, about your face and aging, a plumped up face due to being overweight spreads out the wrinkles, which then reveal themselves when you lose the fat. That's just how it is. Eat healthy foods, stay fit, and get some regular healthy outdoor sunlight and you will look better than most people your age or even 10 years younger!

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
      As far as fat loss is concerned, the worst advice I ever got and continue to hear is "eat more". Every time I take this advice, I put on fat. I have generally found the calorie calculators to be roughly correct as far as what is needed calorically to lose fat for my age, height and weight. Adjusting it accordingly has produced the results I am looking for.

With regard to strength and muscle, my experience has been that it more depends on effort in the gym than food intake. A person can lose fat, eat a fairly low calorie level, and gain strength and muscle mass at the same time. Of course, if you want to get big, really big, then you must eat big. However, if you want to be lean and strong, then you don't have to eat big to accomplish that. Hunter gatherers that still populate small areas of our planet eat at a far lower level of calories, and yet are ripped beyond what most of us will ever achieve. They are not carb loading, taking supplements or worrying about macros in the least. They just eat whatever they can find.

Also, about your face and aging, a plumped up face due to being overweight spreads out the wrinkles, which then reveal themselves when you lose the fat. That's just how it is. Eat healthy foods, stay fit, and get some regular healthy outdoor sunlight and you will look better than most people your age or even 10 years younger!
      I would go with this advice big time ^^^^^

Its deffo easier to start off with getting lean first, then experiment with building muscle. It will depend on your body type too.

Consider I'm 48 this year so have abandoned the idea of large muscle mass. heavy weight training will only lead me to injury and aches and pains I rather live without. I also find it hard to consume enough food to gain lots of muscle, it also leads to a large food bill. I rather be lean and cut with an intake of health 2000 to 2500 cals a day and still be able to touch my toes etc.
      Last edited by Richard Seekins; 03-01-2013, 08:56 AM.
      Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
      Height 5'9"
      Start weight 200lb
      Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
      Goal was 168lb's

Comment

I think you are a perfect candidate for a leangains approach (metabolic surge sounds like a leangains ripoff). Basically its a 16/8 fast where 3/4th or more of your calories are post workout. High carb/lowfat on workout days, low cwrb/high fat on off days. Google leangains for plenty of info.

Comment

Same goes for me Richard. I am 42 years old now, and the last thing I need is to blow out my back or knees. Less is more these days. I still do heavy weights such as deadlifts, squats and presses, but space them out dramatically rather than doing them 3 times per week. Of course, genetics plays a role, so some people can workout more frequently and still have great gains and little to no overtraining.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
            Same goes for me Richard. I am 42 years old now, and the last thing I need is to blow out my back or knees. Less is more these days. I still do heavy weights such as deadlifts, squats and presses, but space them out dramatically rather than doing them 3 times per week. Of course, genetics plays a role, so some people can workout more frequently and still have great gains and little to no overtraining.
            That sounds cool. I'm realy into the stuff this dude does now. Al is only 160lbs but way stronger than I will ever be. It also seems to fit in well with the primal way of life. Body building as such seems almost unnatural really. Why build size you don't really need? I guess it depends on why people do what they do.
            Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! | We're Working Out!
            Last edited by Richard Seekins; 03-01-2013, 09:12 AM.
            Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
            Height 5'9"
            Start weight 200lb
            Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
            Goal was 168lb's

Comment

Originally posted by johnny767 View Post
              I’m not sure what skinny fat is but I’m sure I don’t want to look it.
              The best way to visualize skinny-fat is to picture a fashion model and a fitness model. Though they may wear the exact same size, the fashion model may have zero muscle development and enough more fat to qualify as "overweight", while the fitness model could have her body fat % so low she looks "cut".

I will try to ramp up the workout program. – and find out what progressive overload is
              If you do the same strength workout each time, your body will adapt and you will reach an equilibrium. To increase muscle mass, you must increase intensity or volume of exercise you do.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFastCat View Post
                You should lean out before you concern yourself with bulking up.

I have no idea why people are telling you to eat more when you have weight to lose to meet your goals. Don't.
                Simply because with a higher amount of muscle, which the OP lacks, it'll be a lot easier to shed the fat + he'll have a decent amount of lean mass when cutting.

Comment

As an easygainer I find it much harder to lose fat after bulking.

Comment

IMO there's no such thing as easy or hard gainer, you're just underestimating or overestimating the amount of calories you are ingesting.

Comment

Yep, that's your opinion. That's why some guys in the gym struggle to put on weight despite heroic efforts and other men and women have no difficulty gaining both fat and muscle. Must be self-delusion.

Comment

They aren't eating enough or they think they are eating less than they really are.

Comment

Originally posted by Darz View Post
                          They aren't eating enough or they think they are eating less than they really are.
                          Ugh. There is so more more to gaining lean mass or shedding fat then just eatin more or less. Types or exercise and workouts, calorie partitioning, calorie timing, macro breakdown. Sure you can eat you face off and gain some lean mass and also a bunch of fat, or restrict calories and lose weight (fat and lean mass) but whats the point of that?

Everyone is different. Train and eat smart and you can accomplish a lot more in a shorter amount of time.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

There is some fantastic information and advice here: I will read it carefully and change my approach accordingly. I want to read absorb and understand each post before responding

Oh, Iím 52 Ė maybe old enough to know better. I'm not ready for pipe and slippers just yet though. I monitor everything I do in the gym and try to constantly increase the weights (and reps). The only problems I have had with injury is recurring (started last October ) pain in my right upper arm (tendons?) Ė itís particularly painful with after/during pull-ups and barbell curls. When I do hammer curls I have to do 18 kg left and only 10 right; Iíll end up lop-sided

I also aggravated an old knee injury (damaged tendons) ; I leg-press 728 lbs (on a machine thing) and donít always bother to warm up first.

Thanks again for your help; I will respond over the weekend

Comment

Am I the only one who was afraid to click the thread based on a misinterpretation of the title?
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I agree with Darz. I see

a) Loose Skin -- Mark says that this should shrink back over time.
                                b) Naturally thin muscles (you're in good company; Mark has thin muscles too -- look at his calves.)
                                c) Skinny fat

Skinny fat is when your weight seems low but the muscles are flab and the fat is in all the wrong places, like the waist. You see it more on vegetarians and women. If you've even seen the movie "Fathead" (free on Hulu.com), the filmmaker mentions that he went vegetarian for a while, and he "lost weight but it was all in my muscles, I was still fatty in my middle." He was skinny fat. That's why Primal people like to measure weight loss by waist size or % fat instead of raw scale weight.

Here's my 2 cents: If you're exercising one hour a week, then 3000 calories is WAY too much. I would say that you should cut out 60 grams of protein and 80 grams of fat to bring you down to about 2000 calories per day. Really! Once the fat is gone, you can reassess the muscles.

For the workouts, fewer reps at higher weight is what builds muscle bulk. Your legs seem fine For abs, I personally like the Swiss Ball (also called balance ball) exercises; a guy name Adam Ford is an expert, he's on You Tube.

...and one more thing... if you're feeling tendon pain, PLEASE go get tested and go to physical therapy!

I had tendonitis a year ago. I didn't think it was a big deal, and the doc only "recommended" physical therapy. But when I did go to therapy, the therapist said she was glad I was there, because I needed it. It's very easy to aggravate and it takes months to heal. Give your shoulders a break until that pain is gone.
                                Last edited by oxide; 03-01-2013, 11:20 AM.
                                5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Working...
                                X