No announcement yet.

Food budget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For two people, one Primal and one not...

From grocery stores, about $150/month - This is where we get our dairy products, the bf's non-primal stuff (bread, cereal, etc.), cold cuts, eggs, produce, and any other day-to-day stuff.

From Costco, about $200 every other month or so (but not all of this is food) - This is where I buy my meat in the winter, nuts/seeds, almond butter, canned tuna, vitamins, granola bars (for the bf) and other non-perishables, as well as cleaning products, paper towels, toilet paper, etc.... all in bulk, which is why we only go every 2-3 months.

However, in the warm weather things change. We signed up for a meat & egg CSA so our trips to Costco will decrease in frequency and cost (at least half, I believe) and I will no longer need to buy eggs at the grocery store during that time. The meat and egg CSA is costing us shy of $80/month for 6 months. I anticipate that we will spend less than $100/month at the grocery store now and less than $100 per Costco trip during that time.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Average around $80 a week for two people (SO isn't paleo). I'm a grad student so I can't buy grass fed organic meats, but at least I found kerrygold cheese at Sam's club for $6/lb ($16/lb at the grocery store). I'll buy the big pack of ground beef or chicken breasts at Sam's club and freeze in smaller portions so that helps a lot with the cost. That doesn't include the SO's beer or frozen pizza (I refuse to buy things I can't eat that are horribly unhealthy).

I used to do a LOT of coupon shopping, so that's a big increase over what I was spending for processed foods. When he was unemployed and I was working part time I was spending half as much on food.

Comment

We have been following the Primal Blueprint Meal Plan for two weeks now and I would say that it averages to about $200 a week for the both of us. There is definitely very little produce going to waste when you have a plan. Previously we would spend about $50-$80 at the grocery store plus lunches out most of the time so another $100. Therefore the overall food bill has not increased dramatically, but the benefits of healthier eating and not wasting produce are worth it. We have not bought any paleo-approved meat however, that price includes your regular supermarket meats only. Nuts and specialty flours have driven up the cost, but that should dilute over time since we have been eating them very sparingly.

Once I get a sense for what to buy, I will definitely stock up on whatever I can when it's on sale and re-invest the savings into grass fed beef!

Comment

I live in Southern California and spend $85/week for a family of 4 consisting of 2 adults and 2 young children. I'm not able to buy all grass-fed (usually every other week I get grass-fed ground chuck) and not all of our produce is organic, but I do what I can. I get pastured eggs and some produce at my local Farmer's market, but the rest is from local markets and Costco. I've been chronicling what I buy each week and the food that I feed my family on a daily basis here - Feed the Clan. My pictures aren't the greatest, but it may help to give you some ideas of how it's possible.
          www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

Comment

These are rough estimates, but I'm coming out with about $65 a month for myself.

I buy meat about once a month, frozen, in decent quantity, either at a local farm or US Wellness Meats. So that's usually $150. Only because I get mostly organs, ground beef (the pet food version from US Wellness. One of my secrets to being poor & primal), and other budget cuts, and no steaks or chops or roasts.

I would say I spend an average of $100/month on grocery store and Amazon purchases on top of that. Produce, coffee, dairy, sardines (grocery store), Nori paper, coconut milk, gelatin, Himalayan salt (Amazon).

5 gallons of coconut oil was like $135 with free shipping. That'll last me probably at least a year, so dividing it by 12 = $11.25. So close to $65.

If I ate fish that didn't come in a can, steaks instead of livers/ground beef, and more organic berries and stuff, I could easily spend $100. Probably could hit $150 without trying too hard.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
              we spend between $100-$150 a week. that me and my wife and 2 large dogs. all from local farms or organic and whatnot from wegmans
              Is that when you don't have venison in the freezer?
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I easily spend $1600-2000/mo for three adults, not including restaurants if we eat out. Not all organic, and a lot of it is bulk items on amazon, e.g., 10 bags of dairy-free dark chocolate chips, nutritional yeast, etc. Also, that includes supplements.

I shop at several local stores, but an example of the "natural" store haul might look like this:

Organic fruit, 10-15 lbs: bananas, oranges, cherries, melons, pineapple
                10 lbs organic carrots
                Organic vegetables that look appealing: kale, lettuce, tomatoes
                Japanese sweet potatoes
                Blue potatoes
                2-3 lbs of raw milk cheese
                2lbs grass-fed beef burgers
                2-3 lbs other assorted hormone-free cheeses
                Goat milk
                Sour cream that tastes like marscapone
                Pastured Heavy cream
                Kerrygold butter - 2-3 lbs
                2-3 dozen pastured eggs
                Various chocolate bars
                Supplements
                Last edited by j3nn; 03-01-2013, 10:46 AM.
                | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  Is that when you don't have venison in the freezer?
                  yes and no. haha... i mean, we try to stay under $150 no matter what. and when the freezer s stocked, we eat venison 2-3 days per week, so that helps out a lot and we end up on the low end of the budget. when the venison is gone, we tend to come closer to the upper end of the budget. speaking of that, since i only got one deer this year, i only have 1 package of venison left in the freezer. it's basically 3-4lbs of cubed up sort of scrap cuts, so i'm thinking of doing some chili. probably soon. so free up a weekend day and come up

Comment

You just reminded me I need to use up the last package of wild turkey from last year for some chili verde since season is about to open again...
                    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I spend about $800 - 900 a month for 2 adults. That's just for the home prepared meals. The other person often eats lunch out, and both or us go out to dinner sometimes.
                      I, however could do on a smaller budget if I really had to.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                        yes and no. haha... i mean, we try to stay under $150 no matter what. and when the freezer s stocked, we eat venison 2-3 days per week, so that helps out a lot and we end up on the low end of the budget. when the venison is gone, we tend to come closer to the upper end of the budget. speaking of that, since i only got one deer this year, i only have 1 package of venison left in the freezer. it's basically 3-4lbs of cubed up sort of scrap cuts, so i'm thinking of doing some chili. probably soon. so free up a weekend day and come up
                        Ok. Can I bring a bunch of Primal white russians? I'll infuse some vodka with good coffee beans, toss in a pinch of stevia, and bring a few cartons of heavy cream. Would the wife drink those?
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I look at any money I spend outside of ordering my 1/2 a cow is just frivolous.

Doesn't mean I don't do it.... but I do have my priorities

Comment

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                            Derp - you need to find yourself a nice little kiwi girl ..................
                            Not many here in California
                            Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                              Ok. Can I bring a bunch of Primal white russians? I'll infuse some vodka with good coffee beans, toss in a pinch of stevia, and bring a few cartons of heavy cream. Would the wife drink those?
                              Proper Kahlua takes about a month to make... vodka, dark rum, natural dried cane sugar (I haven't tried to sub this out), good beans, some cocoa nibs, a vanilla bean, a cinnamon stick, a bit of orange peel...
                              It's not just coffee flavored vodka!
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                                Proper Kahlua takes about a month to make... vodka, dark rum, natural dried cane sugar (I haven't tried to sub this out), good beans, some cocoa nibs, a vanilla bean, a cinnamon stick, a bit of orange peel...
                                It's not just coffee flavored vodka!
                                Granted. And a norcal margarita isn't really a margarita, but it can scratch that itch. I'm reluctant to ingest anything that doesn't list the ingredients on the label. Plus it's probably way sweeter than I could handle anymore.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X