Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Junk Food Better Than Nothing?

So I have a question:

I practice IF just about everyday. The 8/16 split variety (first feel free to tell me if THAT is healthy...I'm sure there's differing thoughts) and I'm curious about how I break it. My job often requires me to up and go which doesn't allow me always eat healthy or at all even (I've tried taking food with me jerky, boiled eggs, etc. but I somehow always end up not having them on hand.)

Anyways, is it better to tough it out at the end of my fast until I can get good food, even if famished, or is it better to grab something even if unhealthy say...a snickers bar, bag of doritos, etc.

Thoughts?

I eat a 5/19 split, so hey.

I always, always, always pack a snack. I am gluten-intolerant and sensitive to eggs. I have to break the fast with a healthy snack or I'll either blow my budget on sashimi or overeat at supper.

Ask yourself why you are never prepared to bring a snack in with you. Is primal a priority for you?

Comment

@eKatherine - Thanks. 5/19 is pretty hardcore I've done a few 24 hour fasts but I don't think I can do that sustained. It's certainly a priority (hence the question) I have snacks in my desk, my car, even my laptop bag but every so often, I can't get to primal food. Make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Dynastinae View Post
        So I have a question:

I practice IF just about everyday. The 8/16 split variety (first feel free to tell me if THAT is healthy...I'm sure there's differing thoughts) and I'm curious about how I break it. My job often requires me to up and go which doesn't allow me always eat healthy or at all even (I've tried taking food with me jerky, boiled eggs, etc. but I somehow always end up not having them on hand.)
        It's not a matter of being healthy or unhealthy, it is a timing protocol, if it doesn't affect you negatively in any way then feel free to do what's best. You break the fast with food.

Anyways, is it better to tough it out at the end of my fast until I can get good food, even if famished, or is it better to grab something even if unhealthy say...a snickers bar, bag of doritos, etc.

Thoughts?
        Those foods you've mentioned offer very little, if any, micronutrient value; so, in my opinion, I'd replace them with some sort of whole food; however, if you are in a state where you must eat something, other than whole foods, otherwise you will faint, then have it. It won't kill you.
        Last edited by Darz; 02-28-2013, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Where's the squat video?
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

@RichMahogany - Never let die, eh? Good memory. I posted in that forum that I injured my achilles so am taking a hiatus on heavy lifting for a while. It's been good actually, I'll have to join another gym (I recently bought a house about 40 miles from my last one) or get some home equipment. In the meantime I'm doing bodyweight stuff and yoga. Been using this resource for bodyweight and circuits: Travel WoDs - CrossFit Plano

Comment

I think you'd be better off breaking the fast with healthier food. If you can choose the least objectionable junk food item you might do okay, such as the trail mix or a bag of nuts rather than donuts, cookies or candy.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

A lot depends on how often, your general health, etc. At 17, I would fast once a week from after Sunday dinner to Monday dinner. I almost always broke the fast by meeting friends at the local pizzaria and having a couple of slices of gooey, oily pizza. 40 years later, and the thought of that being the first thing I put into myself after a 24 hour fast is horrifying.

The foods you mention however in terms of primal are some of the worst. Lots of chemicals, HFCS, bad oils in the chips, etc. Maybe the better alternative is to always have a snack with you so you don't have to make that decision. Canned fish, hb eggs, jerky. Even some kind of shake or broth in a thermos.

OTOH, young bodies can take a lot. I broke my teenage vegetarian experiment with a bologna sandwich on white bread with mayonnaise and never felt a thing except, "Yum."
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

If my options were to eat nothing or eat Snickers and Doritos over the course of a day, I'd eat nothing.

If my options were to eat nothing or eat Snickers and Doritos over the course of a week, I'd eat Snickers and Doritos.

I'll go up to 36 hours without food if need be. I won't go longer. At that point, give me SOMETHING. If your job takes you on the road a lot where there are literally zero options other than chips and candy, I suggest you practice fasting through lunch and make it a regular thing. If you can at least grab some raw almonds or some fruit or yogurt, no worries. Nearly all 7/11's and the like sell loose fruit and bagged nuts.
                  Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Lara bars pack just as easy as junk food and even 7-11 sells them.

Comment

It depends on where you are, what your goals are, and how such foods affect you. If you're underweight, then anything is better than nothing. If you're of healthy weight and it doesn't increase your calories too much, then it doesn't matter. But if you're trying to get or stay lean, it can give you too many calories, and that's no good.

I've had it where at work it's so hard to stick to a good plan because I was working 72 hour weeks. In such cases, sometimes it's best just do what you have to do to keep yourself from overeating, and then try to fix any weight gain later on once your schedule is freed up.

On thing I have found however, is that if you get stuck in a situation where you simply don't have the convenience of preparing your own food and you have to eat out, counting calories actually works wonders no matter where you eat. It's very helpful in managing to keep from gaining weight. But if you have to eat like that every day, forget cutting, unless you're plain old crazy and want to will power your way through it. Because junk food has WAY too many calories, and so if you try to restrict calories while eating junk food, you're going to be hungry as ever, because the volume of food you're eating is going to be VERY small.

I hope that helps. I'm just saying, with calories being equal, it generally won't matter. But it's a lot easier to get and stay lean if you're eating better foods. And you also feel a lot better too, more ful, more satisfied, etc..

But this brings me to the realization that a flexible dieter will always be the most successful. When busy or when traveling or what ever, if you can't make what food is available work for you than you'll never be successful.

Comment

Buy a cooler or insulated backpack or anything you could carry with you. There are tons of non perishable items you could carry with.

Jerky, nuts, nut butters, seeds, fruit, good bread, jams, cheese, dried fruit, veggies. Hell there are plenty of dishes you can cook up and bring in tupperware. Its just laziness if your only choices are nothing or doritos. I added bread in there because i think it would be worlds healthier to eat your own homemade sandwhiches then a storebought one.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                          Buy a cooler or insulated backpack or anything you could carry with you. There are tons of non perishable items you could carry with.

Jerky, nuts, nut butters, seeds, fruit, good bread, jams, cheese, dried fruit, veggies. Hell there are plenty of dishes you can cook up and bring in tupperware. Its just laziness if your only choices are nothing or doritos. I added bread in there because i think it would be worlds healthier to eat your own homemade sandwhiches then a storebought one.
                          I like this one.

I actually used to do it "warrior diet" style where I'd brink a lunch box filled with raw fruits and veggies. For dinner I'd cook lots of meat, more veggies for flavor, and a little bit of sweet potatoes if I had more room.

It worked pretty well.

Comment

So I have a question:

Yes, IF is perfectly healthy.

Thoughts?
                            Real food. Of course, I'd be prepared to include 'a cooked rotisserie chicken' as being real food. Stay away from things that are sealed in plastic and can stay on the shelf for months at a time.
                            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Junk food or nothing. IMO nothing is better than Junk Food. But starving is not acceptable.Surely you can arrange something better than Junk Food.
                              "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Working...
                              X