Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got diet milk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Got diet milk?

    The dairy industry wants to put aspartame in milk. Unfortunately, I can see it becoming a huge hit.
    "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

  • #2
    I just read this too! It's very unclear, but I don't think they're trying to put aspartame into "regular old milk" -- but into flavored milks, which apparently can't be called "milk" as of now unless the sweetener is non-caloric. At least this suggests so, from a link in that article:

    "They state that lower-calorie flavored milk would particularly benefit school children who, according to IDFA and NMPF, are more inclined to drink flavored milk than unflavored milk at school," the FDA wrote in its notice. - See more at: Courthouse News Service

    Comment


    • #3
      While I think the plan is to put aspartame in flavored milk, I can imagine them tweaking plain milk with it, because Americans like everything sweeter.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
        While I think the plan is to put aspartame in flavored milk, I can imagine them tweaking plain milk with it, because Americans like everything sweeter.
        At least we can depend on it having an exciting recognizable label different from normal milk so parents know to get it for their kids,

        Comment


        • #5
          When I was a young child I hated milk. My parents, or more often other parents, would offer it to me from time to time and it was disgusting so I wouldn't touch it. I'd drink chocolate milk but not plain. Not that I'm a fan today, but at the time people would try to make me drink the stuff so I hated it, now I can just ignore it.

          At the same time the school I attended (we're talking 1st grade here) served milk at lunch. Plain milk, not chocolate or flavored milk. But since I didn't like milk I usually threw it away. Except...one day I was really thirsty. So thirsty that I actually drank the school milk. And you know what? It tasted really good!

          I went home and tried some milk there, thinking maybe I had been all wrong about milk. Nope.... milk at home (standard gallon jugs of milk) tasted just like I remembered. Milk at school was much "better".

          Of course at 6 or 7 "better" really meant sweeter. The school milk was like unflavored chocolate milk in terms of sweetness. I didn't look for an ingredients list, and they probably didn't have one at the time anyway, but you can bet they were adding HFCS or the like.

          So... in that context... aspartame is probably a good idea.

          Comment


          • #6
            Interesting. That makes me want to go to the school and grab some milk to see if it has nutrition info. At my kids' school they have milk at lunch and then for $30/ semester for each kid they can have some for afternoon snack. I've never paid the money and just send water bottles for them to drink during snack time. Now I'm wondering if they should even drink it for lunch.

            I don't buy flavored mil, but the kids do drink regular milk at home. Not much, but it is there. If they do add aspartame to regular milk, I won't buy it anymore.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Him View Post
              When I was a young child I hated milk. My parents, or more often other parents, would offer it to me from time to time and it was disgusting so I wouldn't touch it. I'd drink chocolate milk but not plain. Not that I'm a fan today, but at the time people would try to make me drink the stuff so I hated it, now I can just ignore it.

              At the same time the school I attended (we're talking 1st grade here) served milk at lunch. Plain milk, not chocolate or flavored milk. But since I didn't like milk I usually threw it away. Except...one day I was really thirsty. So thirsty that I actually drank the school milk. And you know what? It tasted really good!

              I went home and tried some milk there, thinking maybe I had been all wrong about milk. Nope.... milk at home (standard gallon jugs of milk) tasted just like I remembered. Milk at school was much "better".

              Of course at 6 or 7 "better" really meant sweeter. The school milk was like unflavored chocolate milk in terms of sweetness. I didn't look for an ingredients list, and they probably didn't have one at the time anyway, but you can bet they were adding HFCS or the like.

              So... in that context... aspartame is probably a good idea.
              I don't know... maybe it just tasted good because you were thirsty?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sjmc View Post
                I don't know... maybe it just tasted good because you were thirsty?
                Nope. I had been thirsty before, I've been thirsty since, and even when thirsty real/plain milk has never tasted good to me.

                I should add that I remember telling my parents at the time that the school milk was sweeter, and that after that I would drink the milk at school but not at home.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not a bad idea at all, making the milk sweeter without sugar would make kids drinking more of it and hopefully less sugar sodas! Taking out the lactose from the milk and replacing it with aspartame would be good also, since lactose basically is metabolized in the liver similar to fructose…
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

                  - Schopenhauer

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Him View Post
                    When I was a young child I hated milk. My parents, or more often other parents, would offer it to me from time to time and it was disgusting so I wouldn't touch it. I'd drink chocolate milk but not plain. Not that I'm a fan today, but at the time people would try to make me drink the stuff so I hated it, now I can just ignore it.

                    At the same time the school I attended (we're talking 1st grade here) served milk at lunch. Plain milk, not chocolate or flavored milk. But since I didn't like milk I usually threw it away. Except...one day I was really thirsty. So thirsty that I actually drank the school milk. And you know what? It tasted really good!

                    I went home and tried some milk there, thinking maybe I had been all wrong about milk. Nope.... milk at home (standard gallon jugs of milk) tasted just like I remembered. Milk at school was much "better".

                    Of course at 6 or 7 "better" really meant sweeter. The school milk was like unflavored chocolate milk in terms of sweetness. I didn't look for an ingredients list, and they probably didn't have one at the time anyway, but you can bet they were adding HFCS or the like.

                    So... in that context... aspartame is probably a good idea.
                    When I was a kid, milk at the restaurant we went to on Sundays was always soooo much better than any other milk. I think it was because it was because it was full-fat and really cold. This was back in the early 70s.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      When I was a kid, milk at the restaurant we went to on Sundays was always soooo much better than any other milk. I think it was because it was because it was full-fat and really cold. This was back in the early 70s.
                      This stuff was in little individual cartons that were delivered every morning (along with individually packaged lunches) and left stacked on trays (unrefridgerated) until lunch time. It wasn't cold. I have no idea how fatty it was but considering that this was a fairly affluent middle class neighborhood school it was probably 2%.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sjmc View Post
                        "They state that lower-calorie flavored milk would particularly benefit school children who, according to IDFA and NMPF, are more inclined to drink flavored milk than unflavored milk at school," the FDA wrote in its notice.
                        So...excuse my ignorance...but what they're saying is that artificially sweetened milk is healthier than naturally sweetened milk because it would be lower in calories? Meaning aspartame is healthier than plain old sugar because of the lower calorie content?

                        I see zero evidence - zero - that plain old sugar is unhealthy. All I have seen - EVER - is that processed foods that are unhealthy tend to be high in sugar, making it a correlation, not a causation. Salt suffers from the same black eye. Calling cake unhealthy because it contains sugar is a lot like calling a Big Mac unhealthy because it contains red meat. Isn't that what people with agendas do? Sure, sugar is unhealthy if you consume more than your body can handle in a sitting, but that goes for EVERYTHING including water, air and sunlight.

                        A high calorie diet can be much healthier than a low calorie diet. A diet rich in butter, eggs, beef and potatoes consumed in a caloric surplus would make you overweight, but it'll be MUCH healthier than an underweight individual starving themselves on a diet of Lean Pockets, bagels and fat free cream cheese. Good God. You can be chubby and healthy and you can be ripped and a ticking timebomb.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          There is a correction to the article.

                          Aspartame is already allowed in milk and milk products. The dairy industry just wants to be able to remove the labeling requirement that says the milk has aspartame in it. eKatherine is onto something when she enjoyed sweet milk but not plain home milk. My guess is that the dairy industry is losing out to the sweet taste of Coke. They want kids to get addicted to the taste of sweet milk to compete with Coke. Harried mothers, will buy the milk not realizing that the milk has sweetener in it.

                          I think it's backwards. We need MORE labeling, not less.
                          Last edited by oxide; 02-28-2013, 12:45 PM.
                          5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PrimalHunter View Post
                            The dairy industry wants to put aspartame in milk. Unfortunately, I can see it becoming a huge hit.
                            The dairy industry wants to sell more milk, of course. Aspartame is bad for your health, especially for a childs. Send you child real mild from home, preferably raw, in a thermos.
                            "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Why would anyone want sweetened milk? I don't understand. It ceases to taste like milk at that point.

                              I'm trying to start drinking milk again. I want to gain more muscle, and what better way to do that than moo juice? This is what I've been buying.



                              I live in PA, and raw milk is available but very rare and incredibly expensive. Plus, it makes me ridiculously gassy. This stuff still isn't cheap - $4.69/half gal at Whole Foods - but oh my God. It is fantastic. Easily the best milk I've ever tasted. So crisp, so clean, so refreshing, so creamy. Why would ANYONE want to ruin it by dumping crap into it?

                              Although this is outrageously good with chocolate protein powder...HNGGGGG.

                              Goat milk is pretty fantastic as well. I wish that would get more popular in the US.
                              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X