Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many times should I eat liver a week?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many times should I eat liver a week?

Liver's one of those foods I can definitely tolerate but always prefer to avoid as a meal choice. If it's on my plate I'll eat it, but when I'm browsing the fridge I tend to give it a slide for something a bit more...palatable. I know just how much of a nutritional powerhouse it is, though, so I'm gonna practically force myself to eat it more regularly; as it is I only eat it about once a month, and I don't really have that much of an excuse for it.

How often do you eat your organ meats? I think twice a week is a decent starting point but I'd like to hear what y'all have to say too.

I don't have regular access to a variety of organ meats. But if I did, I would eat liver occasionally, and heart, tongue, kidney, too.

You don't have to eat it at all if you don't want to.

Comment

Once or twice a week. Liver contains a lot of vitamin A, which is fat soluble, so while it is very nutritious, don't overeat it and have some every day. Sad for me because I love my pâté.
      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Me and my wife eat about a pound per week. It takes me about 2 meals to eat it while my wife eats a little everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
          Once or twice a week. Liver contains a lot of vitamin A, which is fat soluble, so while it is very nutritious, don't overeat it and have some every day. Sad for me because I love my pâté.
          I don't think you can really overdose on vitamins if it's from food. I take almost 30,000 IU vitamin daily from liver and fermented cod liver oil and butter oil. This is 1000% of the "recommended" dosis. No problems yet
          well then

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
            I don't think you can really overdose on vitamins if it's from food. I take almost 30,000 IU vitamin daily from liver and fermented cod liver oil and butter oil. This is 1000% of the "recommended" dosis. No problems yet
            Gadsie for the win! Your not going to OD on vitamin A from liver. It's actually never happened to my knowledge(unless your eating polar bear liver ). The ONLY thing to be concerned with is the copper content of beef liver. You can actually get too much of that so you may want to cap beef liver at 1lb a week. However, this just means you get to eat other animal livers like lamb or chicken once you hit that threshold.
            Last edited by Neckhammer; 02-28-2013, 06:45 AM.

Comment

If you eat too much beef liver you will know because you will really not want it. As opposed to sort of not want it unless it appears on your plate.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I don't recall if Mark specifies, but I know PHD suggests 1/4lb per week. I just had mine yesterday. I eat it when DH isn't home. He just can't get into that, nor my salmon and eggs.
                65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Matt lalonde phd says you can overdos on liver. Liver is an important dietary source of choline. Your liver uses choline to move fats out of the liver. Not enough choline leads to fatty cerrosis. The othe main source for choline is egg yokes.

I eat live about once and sometimes twice per week.
                  Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott F View Post
                    The othe main source for choline is egg yokes.
                    I have 2-3 per day most days. PHD (sorry if I refer to that too much) but he also suggests 3 per day.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      Gadsie for the win! Your not going to OD on vitamin A from liver. It's actually never happened to my knowledge(unless your eating polar bear liver ). The ONLY thing to be concerned with is the copper content of beef liver. You can actually get too much of that so you may want to cap beef liver at 1lb a week. However, this just means you get to eat other animal livers like lamb or chicken once you hit that threshold.
                      Yum, polar bear liver. Where can I get some?
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        Yum, polar bear liver. Where can I get some?
                        You might try a polar bear
                        <giggle>

Comment

Onions and red wine (or sweet vermouth) really do a lot to improve the taste of liver. Also, if you do an MDA search of pate, somewhere is Paleobird's pate recipe. Also, search google for Boudin recipes - pretty much it's ground pork, chicken or pork liver, and white rice made into a sausage or as balls. Totally awesome stuff.

Organic chicken livers are a pretty mild way to start, though I've been told that pork liver is even milder. I've been fortunate enough to have once tried home grown rabbit livers - they are like instant pate; a smidge of salt was all they needed.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                            On Vitamin A, yes you can. Polar bear liver, for example, can be fatal to humans due to the extremely high Vit A content. Now I recognize that we're not talking polar bear, but the point is the same. You can indeed OD on Vit A from food sources.
                            High Weight: 225
                            Weight at start of Primal: 189
                            Current Weight: 174
                            Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Meanwhile on the forum for polar bears...
                              Yum, human liver. Where can I get some?
                              You might try a human
                              One of the most delicious things I ever tasted: very lightly fried wild venison liver. Very tender and tastes superb, like a less grainy, more expensive chicken liver. Unfortunately I hardly ever see the stuff - I hope it's being snatched up by discerning chefs, not thrown away.

Comment

Working...
                              X