No announcement yet.

Meat crisis!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eat a lot more wild fish. Organ meat is great and grass-fed is not as expensive as muscle meat. Eat more lamb and chevon (not mutton and goat).

I think, yes it does make a differenceThey have sales on freezers during various holidays.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

do some searching at farmers' markets or on-line. i found a local farmer who will sell me "off-cuts" of grass-fed beef for $4 pp. heart, tongue, liver, soupbones, etc. that's cheaper than the same cafo cuts.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by s-piper View Post
        Have the same problem as you.
        I cannot really afford grassfed meat except on rare occasions, and since I share a standard sized freezer with roommates, I don't have the storage space to buy a 1/4 or 1/2 cow in bulk.

About the cocanut oil though. Virgin cocanut oil does smell strongly of cocanut when you open the jar, but that goes away when you melt it. Last night I used it for cooking for the first time. Melted abut a 1/2 teaspoon of oil in a pan, then seared a chicken breast, added water, and let it cook on low heat until it got up to safe temperature. I tried it straight from the pan before adding sauce...it was one of the juciest pieces of chicken I've cooked. Much nicer than times I've cooked it the same way in olive oil, and really olive oil is healther when eaten "raw". Also, it did not taste at all like it was cocanut flavored, it just tasted like plain chicken.
        Cocanut oil can be pricy, but if you aren't one of those who eats it by the spoonful (blech! I even like cocanut but I can't stand that) then it'll probably last a good long while.
        I disagree. There are many things I won't use virgin c o for because of the coconut flavor it can impart.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynna View Post
          I disagree. There are many things I won't use virgin c o for because of the coconut flavor it can impart.
          One can buy refined deoderized bleached coconut oil. Quality virgin coconut oil does indeed have a flavor that is not appropriate for all foods.

Comment

I must be lucky that I can easily get local grass fed ground beef at Natural Grocers for $5 a pound. I may stick with that for my "go to" red meat option. I went to the store tonight and most decent cuts of conventional beef are $4+ a pound. As far as fish, I don't mind Cod or Tilapia...but I've heard of a lot of mixed messages about farmed Tilapia. And I'll definitely check out coconut oil to get some more fat.

Comment

I guess it's a matter of taste.
              The cocanut oil I have is definitely not refined or blanched in any way, but I didn't notice any cocanut flavor after using it to cook. I didn't use a lot, and then I did water it down so maybe that helped.

Comment

We just invested some of our tax return on local pastured beef. It's sweetened with spent brewery grains from a local brewer, and the test steaks and ground that we tried were good. We are paying just under a grand for 278# hanging weight, which will net a bit less after processing. We should still end up paying under $5 lb for good meat, and support a local farmer too.

A 7 cubic ft freezer is pretty cheap at Best Buy or your box store of choice, and holds plenty of meat.

We don't have kids, smart phones or cable, and we do make decent food a priority. Everything I eat makes up every cell of my body. How can I justify not buying or growing the best? And cost aside, factory meat just tastes nasty.
                Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                  One can buy refined deoderized bleached coconut oil. Quality virgin coconut oil does indeed have a flavor that is not appropriate for all foods.
                  That is exactly why I have a jar of expeller-pressed and a jar of virgin CO.

Comment

I eat like I make my pemmican. I buy the grass-fed beef tallow but lean cheap steaks from a local butcher. All the good stuff is in the fat so that's where I spend the extra money for grass-fed. That's just for steak though. I buy local grass-fed or Trader Joe's NZ lamb. I also eat a lot of cheap chicken breasts from that local butcher but I also eat a lot of wild salmon. Hopefully it balances out.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by bdlee73 View Post
                      As far as fish, I don't mind Cod or Tilapia...but I've heard of a lot of mixed messages about farmed Tilapia.
                      Be wary of any farmed fish coming from China, especially Tilapia, because they are bottom feeders so they are feeding off the bottom of terribly polluted water.

Comment

Just wanted to clarify the difference between coconut oils. Unrefined has coconutty flavor, refined does not. They're all awesome and their benefits are countless.
                        Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Working...
                        X