Too much avocado?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much avocado?

I've always eaten a fair amount of avocado and for the past month I've been eating one almost everyday (5-6 per week). Lately its become more like 8-9 per week. I know avocado is considered one of the best fruits/foods available, but I always start to wonder if I'm overdoing it when I've really been eating this much of something.
    22 year old male in Pittsburgh. Primal since 9/12.

They aren't Twinkies you know.
    They are perfectly natural fruits that come off a perfectly natural tree.

Do you feel fine eating that number of avocados?
    Are you meeting your weight/health goals?
    There is your answer.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Yeah I feel great. Maybe I just feel a little guilty because they're one of my favorite foods so I sometimes feel like they're twinkies haha. Thanks!

Comment

If they aren't bothering you, keep eating them. I envy your being able to have the wonderful avocado. Unfortunately for me, I am allergic to the buggers: instant reaction.
        Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

Go for it!

If I still lived in California where I could get 3 avocados for $1, I'd eat at least one daily. These days I live in the northeast, where it's 3 for $5 (or 2 for $4 if I'm lucky!), so I eat about 4 per week.
          >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
          >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
          >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Costco has the big ones right now 8 for $6, I've had one everyday this week.
            Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
            Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Comment

Damn you people who can get cheap/free avos! LOL
              ours are $3-$4 each!

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                Damn you people who can get cheap/free avos! LOL
                ours are $3-$4 each!

It's not quite that bad here, but not so far off...sigh. If I could eat an avocado every day, I would. Worse case scenario is of course you start to dislike them. I went through a banana phase (3 or 4 bunches a week!) and now I barely touch them.

Comment

It has next to no chocolate in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike in Virginia View Post
                    If they aren't bothering you, keep eating them. I envy your being able to have the wonderful avocado. Unfortunately for me, I am allergic to the buggers: instant reaction.
                    Well heck. Here I thought you had such a charmed life - thin, good looking, smart, and with a new love. Now I find out you're allergic to avocados, and baby, that truly sucks.

To the OP, eat 'em 'til you puke. Your body will tell you when you've over done it. I love them, but put the brakes on when they're more than $1.69 each. My 99cent source seems to have dried out. They're so good for just about everything. Smoothies, alone eaten with some balsamic and a spoon, a substitute for mayo, alone with some salt, mashed on top of a burger, in scrambled eggs - god's little versatile fat bomb.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Does your guilt come from the common opinion that avocados, like eggs, are fatty and should be limited to a certain serving?

My dad has had high cholesterol and other problems with the heart, and he almost flipped when I told him I'd eaten 6 eggs in one day (I don't usually, it just happened that day) and at times have a whole avocado a day. Problem is, medical professionals are still telling people to ease up on the eggs and avocados...

Comment

Damn, we throw out nearly as many as you eat. We have 8 huge trees. Eat the avocados. Eat them all!
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Allenete View Post
                          Does your guilt come from the common opinion that avocados, like eggs, are fatty and should be limited to a certain serving?

My dad has had high cholesterol and other problems with the heart, and he almost flipped when I told him I'd eaten 6 eggs in one day (I don't usually, it just happened that day) and at times have a whole avocado a day. Problem is, medical professionals are still telling people to ease up on the eggs and avocados...
                          It was kind of a half joke. In CW eating it always seemed like the best tasting foods (desserts, bacon, butter, etc) were always considered unhealthy (and some really are). I guess avocados (and coconut) to me are just so good it feels like they MUST be unhealthy. Good thing they aren't!

Although I think another reason I was curious was because I know there are some foods that are healthy, but only in moderation (like nuts, fruit, etc). So I just wanted to make sure. But know that I've got the green light from you guys I think I'll keep eating them freely.

Oh and I get them 2 for $3 at the local Co-Op. It's ironic because its one of the foods you aren't suppose to need to buy organic, but the organic ones at the Co-Op are cheap than the local big grocery store ($1.99 each).

Comment

There is no such thing as "too much avocado".

Comment

Avocados here vary in prices. LiDL sell them for 75p, but frequently discount them to 50p. Grocers have them for 50-99p. Other supermarkets sell them for 99p each usually, but they also offer ready-to-eat ones (which I sometimes give into, if I want an avocado NOW ). I tend to stock up on unripe ones when LiDL has an offer and then I bag them with a banana peel when I want them to ripen (it works!). Still don't eat more than a few a month, though. Traditional British veg (and bananas) are my staples. Cheap and cheerful and if it worked for us for milennia, our native veg can't be THAT bad.

PS: Has anyone noticed how SMALL avocados are here in the UK?! They look 1.5 times the size in US photographs.
                              Last edited by Kochin; 02-27-2013, 04:13 PM.
                              --
                              Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                              I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                              I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Working...
                              X