Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra Virgin CO vs MCT Oil?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Extra Virgin CO vs MCT Oil?

    (1 think) I notice a difference in energy and fat loss between use of CO and MCT Oil in my coffee, The MCT seems much more effective, just not as tasty.

    My assumption was that MCT oil was just more refined and had a greater concentration of the optimal chain sizes(and so less 'other' fat for those who care about that). This assumption implies that I would get the benefits of the MCT oil by enjoying CO (just more CO than MCT for the same kick).

    Trying 2x 2 weeks of each this assumption does not seem to be valid. Am I imagining things?

    Thanks

  • #2
    To maximize fat loss, put no oil in your coffee.

    Virgin coconut oil is ~60% MCT's. MCT oil is 100% because it is highly refined. Oil is a cooking tool, not a food. Eat food for energy and nutrition, not oil.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
      Oil is a cooking tool, not a food.
      and that about sums it up!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dogfuel View Post
        (1 think) I notice a difference in energy and fat loss between use of CO and MCT Oil in my coffee, The MCT seems much more effective, just not as tasty.

        My assumption was that MCT oil was just more refined and had a greater concentration of the optimal chain sizes(and so less 'other' fat for those who care about that). This assumption implies that I would get the benefits of the MCT oil by enjoying CO (just more CO than MCT for the same kick).

        Trying 2x 2 weeks of each this assumption does not seem to be valid. Am I imagining things?

        Thanks
        I have been wondering about this same question and would be interested to hear the results of your n=1 study.

        Question : are MCT and CO similar in calories for an equivalent measure (say one tbsp)?

        And, if those are your abs in your avatar pic, I think you can safely ignore anything Choco is saying.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
          Oil is a cooking tool, not a food. Eat food for energy and nutrition, not oil.
          I agree but I do enjoy a tblsp of Nutiva coconut oil once in a while, sometimes straight-up, sometimes in Greek yogurt and sometimes with my cacao nibs and half & half.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
            I have been wondering about this same question and would be interested to hear the results of your n=1 study.

            Question : are MCT and CO similar in calories for an equivalent measure (say one tbsp)?
            Google says coconut oil is 116 calories per tablespoon and MCT oil is 100. I would have though they would be equivalent since they are both pure fat. Then again, I guess the point of MCT oil is that it has a different effect on metabolism. Reminds me of the posts Kurt Harris did, "No such thing as a macronutrient"

            Comment


            • #7
              I keep seeing that 100 cal for MCT oil also, but then it says 14 grams of fat. That would be 126 calories. Sometimes I think when I search calories, that if one site publishes an amount, then most of the other sites publish that same amount without checking to even see if it's logical.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

              B*tch-lite

              Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

              Comment


              • #8
                I was doing the oil shots there for a wee moment and noticed that I couldn't sleep at night after taking MCT oil first thing in the morning. It gave me tooooooo much energy. However when I tried the coconut oil, it didn't give me as much energy and I was able to sleep at night. I tried both oils for one week
                "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

                ...small steps....

                Comment


                • #9
                  I appreciate the responses but maybe wasn't clear about the reason for my question.... mct oil has a dramatic impact on energy level and fat burning (for me)... CO does not. I thought they were the same thing. I hate that it flies in the face of many of the themes on this forum and I did not want to accept it fir a year, but it is true. Why?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dogfuel View Post
                    I appreciate the responses but maybe wasn't clear about the reason for my question.... mct oil has a dramatic impact on energy level and fat burning (for me)... CO does not. I thought they were the same thing. I hate that it flies in the face of many of the themes on this forum and I did not want to accept it fir a year, but it is true. Why?
                    They're not the same thing. MCT is a highly refined oil where the MCT's are extracted from coconut oil. You won't find MCT oil anywhere in nature - it is a creation in a laboratory. Coconut oil is just pure pressed coconut fat. It has MCT's, but it's the natural lipid profile of a coconut. Coconut oil isn't the only thing that has MCT's - palm oil and butter has them as well.
                    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                      They're not the same thing. MCT is a highly refined oil where the MCT's are extracted from coconut oil. You won't find MCT oil anywhere in nature - it is a creation in a laboratory. Coconut oil is just pure pressed coconut fat. It has MCT's, but it's the natural lipid profile of a coconut. Coconut oil isn't the only thing that has MCT's - palm oil and butter has them as well.
                      you see Dogfuel - if you had read between the lines of my post you would have understood that I was saying exactly what Chocotaco said. Choco used english and I was actually talking caveman !!!!!!! sheeeeesh LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
                      Last edited by NZ primal Gwamma; 02-26-2013, 08:09 PM.
                      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

                      ...small steps....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Additional info:
                        Fats, Oils, Fatty Acids, Triglycerides - Chemical Structure (Page 2 of 3)

                        See the table of fatty acid composition of various oils. Medium chain triglycerides are those with 6-12 carbons. In that table, the MCTs capric (C10:0) and lauric(C12:0) acid are shown. I think there are other various fatty acids that are not included on the table.

                        For comparison, MCT oil is 100% MCTs. This one claims to be composed of caprylic and capric acids: MCT Oil - 16 oz. - Protocol For Life Balance

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          ^^^That's kind of a turnoff to me. Coconut oil's MCT's are primarily in the form of lauric acid, which as far as I remember is pretty much exclusive to tropical oils with very few exceptions. Lauric acid is known to have a potent antiviral effect, but apparently also makes people quite nauseous, which is why you hear people feeling ill after consuming straight coconut oil. Some claim candida dieoff due to the antiviral effects.

                          IMO, it is almost never a good idea to eat straight fat. Why consume MCT oil for energy and fat loss when you can have an egg for less calories and two orders of magnitude more nutrition? The best thing for you to eat for fat burning is nothing.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                            ^^^That's kind of a turnoff to me. Coconut oil's MCT's are primarily in the form of lauric acid, which as far as I remember is pretty much exclusive to tropical oils with very few exceptions. Lauric acid is known to have a potent antiviral effect, but apparently also makes people quite nauseous, which is why you hear people feeling ill after consuming straight coconut oil. Some claim candida dieoff due to the antiviral effects.

                            IMO, it is almost never a good idea to eat straight fat. Why consume MCT oil for energy and fat loss when you can have an egg for less calories and two orders of magnitude more nutrition? The best thing for you to eat for fat burning is nothing.
                            Because of the way a shot of straight MCT oil is metabolized compared to an egg. Plenty of studies showing MCT's having thermogenic and fat loss effects.

                            I dont think its a great idea to eat atraight fat either but as a fat loss supplement, its worlds better for your health then an EC stack or similar.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Zach View Post
                              Because of the way a shot of straight MCT oil is metabolized compared to an egg. Plenty of studies showing MCT's having thermogenic and fat loss effects.

                              I dont think its a great idea to eat atraight fat either but as a fat loss supplement, its worlds better for your health then an EC stack or similar.
                              MCT's increase the metabolic rate, what, about 3%? How is ingesting 100 calories for a 3% metabolic increase better than not eating empty, nutritionless calories? They may have an advantage versus olive oil as it's straight fat that's stored if not immediately burn, but so what? A potato would have more of a metabolic boost. So would meat and eggs due to protein content. Why not just eat real food and when not hungry simply don't eat?
                              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X