Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women who eat a ton without gaining....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Black Currents- those are primal. If you can't find them in stores up there how about growing them? I'm in far north Idaho, if they grow here you might have a chance as well.
    I fought raising currants all three colors for 7+ years. They require so much spraying to defeat the North Amricain specific fruit fly, it is insane. It emerges here in just the right time. I sprayed with hot pepper garlic spray, I sprayed with organic, I cleaned all the fall-down berries, turned the soil, tried to wrap the shrubs into muslin, co-planted with garlic and marigolds, and this year, I swore to pull the shrubs out. I can't see 75% of the crop spoiled. I even tried black-bag the spoil under shrubs, but I just couldn't do it right and I also did not want to apply ammonia to the soil to kill the worm. It's insane. I am under-planting ground-cover around gooseberry this year, and keeping fingers crossed. Anyway, I have a couple more plums and fizelberts coming this year, so currants are out. I have had it. With what I was taking of those shrubs I could not match my grandmother's crops in any way shape or form. I used to eat currant jam every day of my life...

    My big question marks are beets, buckwheat, cold-pressed real sunflower oil, gazillion fermented foods, from garlic to mushrooms, and rye bread - all those foods I ate pretty much daily for the first 22 years of my life....

    We have no raw dairy in Canada, and I gave up on making kefir after 2 years, it is just too hard to keep the culture for one person, hunting the milk on sale and all that jazz. I switched to Greek yogurt.

    I am not aiming to be Primal, just whole, home-made foods.
    Last edited by Leida; 03-01-2013, 12:21 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
      when I was trying to Git Myseff in a Family Way,
      I also took my temp all the time, but well, I would put it someplace that was "always
      warm". No variation THERE... and no, it wasn't in my rear end, but close.


      ~Anonymous
      Ms ~Anonymous

      Maybe you would have gotten in a family way quicker, had He been the one taking your temperature. Just a thought.
      65lbs gone and counting!!

      Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

      Comment


      • Originally posted by gopintos View Post
        Ms ~Anonymous

        Maybe you would have gotten in a family way quicker, had He been the one taking your temperature. Just a thought.
        Well, depending on the first temperature taking, there was almost always a Second Opinion Taking
        as well, ahem.

        Which, reminds me that I'm so happy that part of my life is over I could scream from the rooftops.

        In fact, I may just crawl up there now and do so.


        "THE FACTORY IS CLOSED FOR BUSINESS! ANY BUSINESS! BUGGER OFF!"

        There, I feel much, much better.....

        Comment


        • Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
          Well, depending on the first temperature taking, there was almost always a Second Opinion Taking
          as well, ahem.
          Yal they usually like to use their own thermometer...<giggle>
          65lbs gone and counting!!

          Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

          Comment


          • Originally posted by gopintos View Post
            Yal they usually like to use their own thermometer...<giggle>
            Yes, they know how to find nice cozy warm places - even when our feet are freezing
            PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Leida View Post
              I fought raising currants all three colors for 7+ years. They require so much spraying to defeat the North Amricain specific fruit fly, it is insane. It emerges here in just the right time. I sprayed with hot pepper garlic spray, I sprayed with organic, I cleaned all the fall-down berries, turned the soil, tried to wrap the shrubs into muslin, co-planted with garlic and marigolds, and this year, I swore to pull the shrubs out. I can't see 75% of the crop spoiled. I even tried black-bag the spoil under shrubs, but I just couldn't do it right and I also did not want to apply ammonia to the soil to kill the worm. It's insane. I am under-planting ground-cover around gooseberry this year, and keeping fingers crossed. Anyway, I have a couple more plums and fizelberts coming this year, so currants are out. I have had it. With what I was taking of those shrubs I could not match my grandmother's crops in any way shape or form. I used to eat currant jam every day of my life...

              My big question marks are beets, buckwheat, cold-pressed real sunflower oil, gazillion fermented foods, from garlic to mushrooms, and rye bread - all those foods I ate pretty much daily for the first 22 years of my life....

              We have no raw dairy in Canada, and I gave up on making kefir after 2 years, it is just too hard to keep the culture for one person, hunting the milk on sale and all that jazz. I switched to Greek yogurt.

              I am not aiming to be Primal, just whole, home-made foods.
              Good to know about the currents! I have been eyeing them at the nursery and planned on putting them in the garden this year, perhaps not any more.

              How wonderful that you grew up with so many fermented foods! We would all be so much healthier growing up that way. I'm working on getting my kids used to them. They like the pickles and carrots, ginger beer, kombucha and all the dairy ferments. Grated parsnips with a bit of garlic in the brine is something they like occasionally too.
              PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

              Comment


              • Originally posted by windypasswheeler View Post
                I am 49, menopausal, and lost 1-1.5 pounds a week last year for a total of 60 pounds lost eating about 2000 calories a day. I have maintained that loss for 4 months eating 2500-2800 daily, mostly 80/20. I was amazed how many carbs I could eat, mostly potatoes and blueberries. I was so happy to have made it through the Holiday season intact, but somehow Valentine's day got me and I started eating sugar. Chocolate, ice cream. Gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks. So FOR ME, I can eat a lot, but I cannot eat sugar! I'm back off the sugar and hope I have learned my lesson.
                Thanks for sharing! Just out of curiosity, when you started eating the sugar foods, did you consciously or unconsciously gut back on other things? What I'm curious about is whether a person would gain if all the nutritional needs have been met and then junk was eaten on top of that instead of nutrients going away and being replaced with junk.

                I'm in no way thinking eating junk is ever GOOD for us but perhaps if it is only an addition and not a substitution then the body would just burn it off instead of storing it for protective purposes.
                PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                Comment


                • I think I'm probably a real weirdo. I can't gain weight to save my life! Or at least never could. Ever since I went into (unintended) ketosis, I gained a little, and then even more when I got out of it (yay...)

                  I have been the same height and weight since I was 15, so 15 years. Occasionally I was a few lbs more, but as soon as I got sick, or stressed it came right off and would not come back. Most of my life, I weight around 46kg (102lbs?) and I am 165cm/ 5'5". That seems to be the magic number that I can't escape. I have been bullied to the point of madness. I still get remarks. Especially in Germany people are very eager to "tell you their opinion" about such things.

                  Anyhow...pre Paleo I was eating a diet high in carbs,especially bread, Pasta and rice. I ate a considerable amount of veggies, a small amount of meat and very few fruits. Never been a Fast Food or frozen dinner person, but that is also because of how I grew up. We never ate out, since it is not common in Germany. And things like McDonalds were a rare thing to eat.
                  Really I mostly lived of sandwiches and Noodles or rice for dinner. I snacked often. Mostly chocolate or chips.

                  I was VERY active when I was young. I never sat still and had a ton of sport hobbies until my late teens. But even when I was older (20s), working at an office and not doing any sports, I was thin. Maybe even a bit thinnER. I also had Hashimoto's, which usually means weight gain..but not here :/

                  When I was pregnant, I gained the recommended amount. But when my son was born, not much of that was left and without the water retention, placenta, baby etc., I was really only 5kg heavier I think. That also came off faster than I could weight myself.
                  I remember my mother trying to talk me out of breastfeeding, because she thought it was the reason for my weight loss (she lost a lot while nursing). But despite breastfeeding, once I dropped down to 46kg-ish, I stopped losing weight (that was after 8 months postpartum).
                  I transitioned to a Paleo Diet after birth, and when my son was a half year old, I had also cut out potatos and rice. To keep my weight on I added lots of raw butter, and calories from good carbs. I was very determined to finally gain and started counting calories. When I still wasn't gaining on 3700 cals., I gave up....

                  I was so frustrated, I only ate very little food. My guess would be about 1700 cals? I hated having to eat so much. Then I had the idea, that maybe my body will adjust to little food, that I might gain eventually. I did not lose any weight on less calories. Because I had cut out carbs (just got tired), I unknowingly went into ketosis. But about 4 months into eating this way, I did notice some weight gain....only very little, but that was big for me.

                  Ketosis caused my body a bunch of problems (also Hypothyroidism again), so I increased my carbs. That way I gained even more, and now I am at a weight I only reached very few times in my life. I really hope I can keep it.

                  Maybe my story and way of eating can shed some light on the subject. I wish I knew, because it would be the key to gaining weight for me! I want to know what makes me gain.

                  One thing I have considered is damage to my gut and not absorbing all of what I am eating. Maybe after over a year into this diet I can absorb calories better, and maybe it will be the same (opposite way around) for people who gain weight easily.
                  Currently eating strict Paleo, no rice or potatoes. I want to increase carbs and make sure my ratio of carbs, protein and fat is right for me.
                  30, 5'5" and 108 lbs (formerly 100 lbs)
                  I don't work out but I chase and nurse a toddler all day

                  Comment


                  • Hashimoto's Thyroditis has a very high corrolation to Coeliac disease as well, it may be that you were low grade Coeliac, not enough to show externally, but enough for malabsorption.
                    going Paleo, cutting out Gluten (Grains) may have allowed your gut to heal and hence opening door to weight gain, the jiggling between Keto & carbs may just be a Red Herring. The time frame of 12 months doesn't seem too far out for the gut healing process.

                    Have you ever been tested for Gluten sensitivity?
                    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Omni View Post
                      Hashimoto's Thyroditis has a very high corrolation to Coeliac disease as well, it may be that you were low grade Coeliac, not enough to show externally, but enough for malabsorption.
                      going Paleo, cutting out Gluten (Grains) may have allowed your gut to heal and hence opening door to weight gain, the jiggling between Keto & carbs may just be a Red Herring. The time frame of 12 months doesn't seem too far out for the gut healing process.

                      Have you ever been tested for Gluten sensitivity?
                      In 2007, but it came back negative. I had a fructose malabsorption then though, but lately have been able to eat fructose.

                      If I was celiac, I was certainly symptom free, or had minor untypical symptoms. I have been thinking about doing a biopsy to see if I have damage to my intestinal tract. But I am scared of the biopsy and debating the need of it.

                      What does red herring mean? Aside from the obvious (fish)
                      Currently eating strict Paleo, no rice or potatoes. I want to increase carbs and make sure my ratio of carbs, protein and fat is right for me.
                      30, 5'5" and 108 lbs (formerly 100 lbs)
                      I don't work out but I chase and nurse a toddler all day

                      Comment


                      • I don't think you need to bother with the Biopsy,
                        Even though you didn't test positive in 2007, they have only looked at Anti gliadin antibodies in the past, but there is now growing evidence that there are many other protein fractions in wheat which may be just as or even more damaging, so there may still be a wheat sensitivity there. If you are putting on weight now, then just continue doing what you are doing and with the history of Hashi's, avoiding wheat would be advisable.

                        Red herring is an English-language idiom that commonly refers to a type of logical fallacy in which a clue is intentionally or unintentionally misleading or distracting from the actual issue.[1] It is also a literary device employed by writers that leads readers or characters towards a false conclusion, often used in mystery or detective fiction.
                        It's basically a decoy, something that draws your attention away from the true cause.
                        "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Mireia View Post
                          In 2007, but it came back negative. I had a fructose malabsorption then though, but lately have been able to eat fructose.

                          If I was celiac, I was certainly symptom free, or had minor untypical symptoms. I have been thinking about doing a biopsy to see if I have damage to my intestinal tract. But I am scared of the biopsy and debating the need of it.
                          It is possible for a person to have persistent irreversible intestinal villi damage from unchecked celiac. This is sometimes fatal. But it is a serious illness, and you would probably be aware you were sick. I vote against the biopsy.

                          Comment


                          • Relevant: Should You Actually be Eating MORE and Exercising LESS?
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                            Comment


                            • Peace x and 14emom: the title of this thread really caught my eye because I have never, ever been good at going low calorie. I'm 5'9" and have always used exercise to more or less control my weight. When arthritis hit me hard in my early 40's I could no longer be as active and put on weight. It became a vicious cycle of depression and weight gain. I had a hip replacement, then dislocation of my new hip, followed by more weight gain and depression. LC/Primal changed my life, allowing me finally lose weight, most of my arthritis and inflammation has receded due to no grains and no sugar. Now, to answer your question: I eat a lot of eggs and bacon, bone broth, salmon, moose and caribou, coconut oil, cheese, nuts, HWC, potatoes and blueberries are my main carbs. I eat fresh veggies in season, but don't worry too much about getting them in winter. (My nearest grocery store is 150 miles away). I drink tequila because I had to give up beer. I can eat a lot, but as soon as I eat some sugar I put on weight. I cannot imagine living on 1000 or 1200 calories a day. No way.

                              Comment


                              • @Mireia,

                                Thanks for sharing your story! I feel like this supports the theory quite well. While many things were happening one factor was you lowered calories, which lowers metabolism and weight gain happened. One could also say that you cut carbs which it sounds like your body wanted which became a stress to the body and it reacted by gaining weight. I'm putting a slant on all of this to support the topic of this thread obviously but my point is simply that at this point we can still apply this theory until more evidence proves a different cause.

                                As for how to gain? Well, simply do what I have done! Starve yourself and then every so often eat more than you did when starving and the weight goes on like magic! It is all fat of course, no or little muscle. (This is a joke of course, please don't actually damage yourself by doing this.)
                                PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X