Women who eat a ton without gaining....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NDF View Post
    Prior to your initiative to "eat the food", were you or had you been eating particularly low calorie and low carb?

95.9 is not a normal temperature at all. There are a few reasons you could have this temperature:
    1) you slept with mouth open - mouth breathing can generate an inaccurate read
    2) your thermometer battery is low (assuming it's digital)
    3) your thermometer was really cold and didn't have time to warm up to your actual temperature before beeping (assuming again that it's digital). In this situation, Matt Stone recommends warming up the tip of the thermometer with your hand for a few seconds to avoid false readings.
    4) you're hypothyroid
    Thanks for your reply NDF

Answers:

I stopped eating low carb in December, and since then have been pretty high cal apart from a short period of restriction at the end of Feb. I've had an ED for about 13 years though.

1) Don't sleep with mouth open (as far as I know)
    2) Brand new thermometer
    3) Warmed it up for about a minute before using.
    4) Seem to have some of the symptoms Getting my bloods done next week.

I checked my temp last night and it was about the same... but I didn't pay much attention cos' I thought I might just be cold.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontwisst View Post
      Thank you for sharing the RRARF pdf, YB...I'll plow through it this afternoon

Waking up hungry after not sleeping well makes sense...at least it usually seems to be the case with me. It's like the body is saying, okay, we didn't get enough time last night to fix stuff up, so I'mma need some extra energy today to push through, let's get this started!
      Yeah, peeps say it has to do with ghrelin. Idk, but normally I when I eat this much I sleep like a baby. In fact, anything over 2k I normally sleep a lot better - certainly not 4 hours. I don't understand how I'm eating one and half times more than that and still having problems...

You're welcome for the book! It's a good read.
      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

You don't need to or even have to take your morning temperature but some people do as a way to help get an idea of how well their metabolism is work and most women take their morning temperature to help determine where they are in their cycle.

Matt Stone recommends taking morning temperature as well as your temperature before and after meals as a way to evaluate metabolic health. He recommends a target morning temperature of 98 degrees - higher for women who are in the post ovulatory phase of their cycle. If you aren't hitting that, he provides measures to take to help increase your temperature and if those don't work, getting checked out for hypothyroidism.
        I thought I was supposed to be aiming for 98.8 or higher. So am a good with my 98.1 I always get recently? I take it about 8 am. I know it would be lower earlier in the morning, so not sure when to take it for comparison with what Matt says...
        PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

• @YogaBare - go back to the eatopia site I sent you to and look up extreme hunger. That is totally normal to have after depriving yourself. Once the body gets the picture that you are feeding it, it will get super hungry and start to ask for all that it's been missing out on.

That temp is super low, sounds like it really good that you are doing this!

@Amber - I'm sorry there is such a lack of advice for you! You are proving the theory of this thread nicely, but perhaps there aren't many good ways to gain fat with a healthy lifestyle. Are you able to put on muscle?
          PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

• Originally posted by amber_maiden View Post
            I've been overeating for the past week. Yesterday I was uncomfortably full. It actually hurt. An experience I don't want to repeat.

I thought I was making gains... by upping carbs, fat, starches... But I've lost weight. I'm now half a pound lower than when I started trying to gain weight! I'm really not happy.

I also haven't been working out as much, because of how lethargic I feel after eating.
            Hey Amber,

Sorry to hear you're not doing so well with it! Tbh, it's possible that you lost some muscle rather than fat... is there any way you can check?

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
              @YogaBare - go back to the eatopia site I sent you to and look up extreme hunger. That is totally normal to have after depriving yourself. Once the body gets the picture that you are feeding it, it will get super hungry and start to ask for all that it's been missing out on.

That temp is super low, sounds like it really good that you are doing this!
              Thanks Paleomom I have to read more on that site - it's amazing. For the last two days I've literally been getting pains from hunger. This whole experience is just so weird. I started a journal here btw, in case anyone is interested in following: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread80832.html. I'm loosely tracking what I eat, and I'm averaging 3.5k a day.

The temperature shocked me a little bit. I haven't noticed myself feeling warmer since starting this... apart from the night sweats! At least now I'll be able to gage it. With insomnia, night sweats, low body temp, depression and erratic energy levels though, it's looking like it could be a thyroid condition

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                Same toothpaste for the past 5+ years
                Me too, but when I switched pastes as an experiment the problem went away. Obviously YMMV...
                Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

• If the thermometer is brand new, it could be defective.

Comment

• Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                    If the thermometer is brand new, it could be defective.
                    I thought that too... so I took my temp again after this afternoon after exercising. 97.88 when I put it under my tongue, 97.34 under my armpit. So it's showing a variety of temps. I could always try it on my warm blooded male house mates...

- Ray Peat

Comment

• I would definitely try it on one of your housemates.

I think it's also possible that you may have been cold overnight. The lowest temp I was ever measured at was 96 in the middle of the day after walking a mile through a snowstorm. We just couldn't get me warmed up.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                        i have read somewhere that what your grandmother ate effects you. i know all our eggs form in utero so it kinda makes some sense from that pov. i should prob lecture my kids on this matter LOL they will truly think i am crazy then. thankfully mine all grew up way out the back boonies and their junk food would have been sugar or white flour not McDs and KFC. i dont even think either of them drank altho one did smoke.
                        Oh great!! My maternal grandmother was an alcoholic and smoker and died of liver failure at age 55 ! I remember in my freshmen Bio Lab the TA telling us that when we were pregnant with a girl in a way we were also carrying our future grandchildren. I never really put two and two together and it's implications for my health until your comment.

At least my MoM was by most standards a health nut. We grew up all natural whole foods and our main carb sources were fruit and white rice. No sugar or flour allowed while growing up. That is until she got brainwashed by CW (as did I) and gave up when a lowfat diet high grain diet in menopause made her gain 50 lbs.

Comment

Prior to your initiative to "eat the food", were you or had you been eating particularly low calorie and low carb?

95.9 is not a normal temperature at all. There are a few reasons you could have this temperature:
                          1) you slept with mouth open - mouth breathing can generate an inaccurate read
                          2) your thermometer battery is low (assuming it's digital)
                          3) your thermometer was really cold and didn't have time to warm up to your actual temperature before beeping (assuming again that it's digital). In this situation, Matt Stone recommends warming up the tip of the thermometer with your hand for a few seconds to avoid false readings.
                          4) you're hypothyroid
                          5) you are anemic

Comment

• Amber, have you tried drinking calories instead of eating them? Full fat milk is normally recommended, but you sound like someone who can go for hot chocolate with honey and cream
                            Also, if you increased fat and starch at the same time, it is one of the satiating mechanisms, so try going for foods that do not satiate you but have high caloric load. For example for me it's fat on its own, without carbs/starch. It also has advantage of not distending your stomach. Take a look at nut butter or cheese, maybe.

97.88 when I put it under my tongue, 97.34 under my armpit. So it's showing a variety of temps.
                            Tongue, rectal and armpit temperatures are supposed to be different. Like I always take armpit even if it takes longer, because how it was done back home and I know the normal T number, and under the tongue is different. Plus, I never figured a trick of holding thermometer in my mouth.
                            Last edited by Leida; 03-22-2013, 01:33 PM.
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                              Tongue, rectal and armpit temperatures are supposed to be different. Like I always take armpit even if it takes longer, because how it was done back home and I know the normal T number, and under the tongue is different. Plus, I never figured a trick of holding thermometer in my mouth.
                              Yip I meant that the thermometer isn't just showing one default temperature, therefore it might not be broken.

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Oh great!! My maternal grandmother was an alcoholic and smoker and died of liver failure at age 55 !
                                it depends what she was doing before she had kids as to what you have inherited.

Comment

Working...
                                X