Women who eat a ton without gaining....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lemontwisst View Post
    I didn't track consistently, but the few times I plugged a sample day's menu into a calculator, it'd be in the neighbourhood of 20-45g carbs. I first started out on a LC plan in May 2011 and it really helped me lose weight - 45lbs, give or take. Then the weight loss stopped, and other problems started appearing...the most apparent and worst of which was severe dehydration (caused by overhydrating myself) and crazy leg cramping; I'd have little fluttery muscle tics in my lower legs constantly (no shit, all day every day) and would be up trying to stretch horrifying leg cramps out (not just calf muscles but hams, quads, hips, you name it) up to a dozen times a night. So, obviously, my sleep had gone all to hell, too.

I shifted gears and switched to a primal WOE after reading PB in May 2012. I never noticed a great improvement in how I felt or looked; my weight didn't go anywhere, my energy didn't change - I wasn't going to be writing in a Friday Success Story. But I felt better about how I was eating, in that it was real, unprocessed foods; I don't plan to change that going forward, either. But I was still stuck to the LC dogma and kept my intake to around 1400-1600cal/day and things have just been going downhill.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what's causing full-body water retention (10+lbs worth, it's been about 10 months since it started). I have several hypothyroid symptoms (low body temp, cold hands/feet, dry skin, hair and nails, fatigue/low energy, very pale). I have gained back all but about 15lbs of the weight I dropped going LC. I have had all sorts of bloodwork and lab tests, neuro assessments and an ultrasound of my heart to try and determine what's out of whack, and so far, no answers as all the tests have come back normal.

In doing more reading and research (and the timing was convenient with PaleoMom starting this thread around the same time), I've come to figure my metabolism is just way out of whack and I need to do what I can to fix it. Which has consisted of eating a ton of food every day (not tracking, don't care - just keeping myself damn full all day long), taking as much downtime as my life will allow and not giving a damn that the scale is going up right now.

Maybe my experience is extreme, or out of the ordinary, but I don't think it's that unusual, given the amount of information I've come across from others who've found themselves in this spot. I have no doubt that LC/VLC/ketosis works wonders for many people out there...I just know that it's not right for me.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go make some chicken curry for dinner, with a giant f*cking pot of rice to go along with.
    Oh jeez!
    Sounds terrible!! I've actually had opposite symptoms of yours, my freezing hands are warmer than they were before. If things start to get worse I will certainly eat more carbs.
    Thank you for the help

Comment

• Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
      My hips and thighs went up from where I started but haven't gone past where I was in the past at around 138 even though now I'm at 143.6. They only went up maybe a 1 and 1.5 cm. My waist is bigger and my breasts for sure. Hubby actually thinks I look awesome and isn't wanting anything to come back off. Gotta love him.
      +1 to Paleomom's dude!
      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by Omni View Post
        When did you start Primal, what carry over problems do you have from your previous life.

There are many discussions about those that did well on VLC for 3-4 months, then it all crashed and their house of cards came down, just like any other dieting regime.

Most people come here because they have problems, so if for whatever reason you want to go VLC my opinion is:
        Based on all primal food intake, good exercise, stress management and lots of fun.
        1 month at 200g
        2 months at 150g
        3 months at 100g
        6 months at 50 g

The 50 g stage is critical in my eyes as that really is the borderline area.
        If you can do this 12 months with no problems, then start to gradually wean down further if you feel the need to do so.
        I started primal about 3 weeks ago and I estimate my old carb intake was about 200g. I am experimenting with VLC and carb reloads now, I'll see how it goes thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by NDF View Post
          I don't think that anyone here is advocating chronic overeating(at least I hope not!). The overeating/refeeding being talked about here is to re-regulate systems that have been deregulated because of chronic restriction and provide enough fuel to repair the damage done to the body during those times of chronic restriction.
          Word It's only overfeeding compared to what we're told we should consume. It's not force feeding.
          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Interesting... How does your definition vary from the "cut folks"? Now that I think of it, I've noticed that my calve muscles are looking way more defined as well... prob the same reason. Everything else looks the same (or bigger )
            Dunno if it is relevant now that thread run away a page ahead, but cut folks have very tight look, you can see the muscle firm surface under the skin. My 'definition' on the upper part of the RA (and on the thigh) reads like a soft 'buldge' the effect being soft due to the layer of fat over it. I believe it is described as a 'smooth' look like body builders are supposed to have off-season.

Yeah, I am filling my bras as well again. Boob fat the first to go on me. And, yeah, my hubby is happy too. I personally don't see what's so great about big breasts, so I've never regretted seeing them go. Clothes fit so much better without much mass jiggling about.

Also, there is something exceedingly weird happening for the past 3 days - I get persistent metallic/blood taste in my mouth. Please, tell me I am not going in ketosis ??? I stop controlling calories, eat like 200 g carbs a day, 3x a day with 5-7 hours between meals, switch from heavy lifting to insane-crazy number of reps lighter lifting in X-Fit WODs, and I go in ketosis when I could not get there after a month on <30 g carb and limited caloric intake? That just doesn't make sense. Please, tell me I should just brush my teeth more often.... I am like tempted to get the strips.
            Last edited by Leida; 03-21-2013, 06:13 AM.
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
              Dunno if it is relevant now that thread run away a page ahead, but cut folks have very tight look, you can see the muscle firm surface under the skin. My 'definition' on the upper part of the RA (and on the thigh) reads like a soft 'buldge' the effect being soft due to the layer of fat over it. I believe it is described as a 'smooth' look like body builders are supposed to have off-season.
              Ah okay. What's happening with me is different. When I suck in now, my"two pack" is much more razor sharp. And as I mentioned, my calves are looking really sculpted! It's all weird. Maybe it's the body brushing?

Originally posted by Leida View Post
              Also, there is something exceedingly weird happening for the past 3 days - I get persistent metallic/blood taste in my mouth. Please, tell me I am not going in ketosis ??? I stop controlling calories, eat like 200 g carbs a day, 3x a day with 5-7 hours between meals, switch from heavy lifting to insane-crazy number of reps lighter lifting in X-Fit WODs, and I go in ketosis when I could not get there after a month on <30 g carb and limited caloric intake? That just doesn't make sense. Please, tell me I should just brush my teeth more often.... I am like tempted to get the strips.
              I've read that a metallic taste in the mouth can be due to iron deficiency... how's your red meat intake right now?

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                I've read that a metallic taste in the mouth can be due to iron deficiency... how's your red meat intake right now?
                This or an iron, magnesium, copper, potassium, zinc imbalance.

Are getting a lot of magnesium? Or eating alot of chocolate?

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                  How do you do that?

That's the purpose of the whole experiment... healing issues with food and restoring natural metabolism so I can eat three solid meals a day. I know it's an insane way to approach it, but the other approach I tried for 13 years (restricting my appetite, then binging) hasn't quite worked... Don't know if this will either, but at least it's a different approach for once...
                  Originally posted by NDF View Post
                  I don't think that anyone here is advocating chronic overeating(at least I hope not!). The overeating/refeeding being talked about here is to re-regulate systems that have been deregulated because of chronic restriction and provide enough fuel to repair the damage done to the body during those times of chronic restriction.
                  Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                  Word It's only overfeeding compared to what we're told we should consume. It's not force feeding.
                  It seemed a few pages back like some people were actually eating way more than they wanted in some effort to refeed or whatever. I mean nearly making themselves sick and talking about gaining over 10lbs.

I guess if you need to overeat to an uncomfortable level to get better, that's the way it works for you. It is not something I have had to do. Just trusting my appetite has been a big enough challenge. I still have trouble sometimes because I still do get some comments/raised eyebrows over portions (triggering a lifetime of memories involving my mom and grandmother) and I'm not exactly a walking billboard of lean, rippling cross-fit muscle advertising for the "effortless weight loss" of Primal. I don't look like Mark's wife and half the before pictures in his success stories are my after picture. But F-it. I'm pretty darn happy.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I was having something like this and discovered it was just my toothpaste. I changed and it went away. Just throwing it out there as a possibly simpler explanation...
                    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

• Same toothpaste for the past 5+ years, magnesium & zink supplements, red meat daily, bananas daily, multivit daily, had 2 squares dark chocolate yesterday and before that went for weeks without (don't like chocolate) - metal taste prior to chocolate consumption.
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                        It seemed a few pages back like some people were actually eating way more than they wanted in some effort to refeed or whatever. I mean nearly making themselves sick and talking about gaining over 10lbs.
                        That was probably my post.

To clarify a bit...at the outset of this, I determined that my BMR is around 1650, my TDEE about 2250. I've been eating for a long time just at or below my BMR, which I think has contributed to some metabolic dysfunction. To correct that, I am focusing on eating to my TDEE or beyond, by refeeding, for a number of weeks.

I do find, recently, to get enough calories in a day to try and accomplish this, I'm eating when I'm not necessarily hungry. I didn't say I'm nearly making myself sick doing so.

As for the weight gain, since reintroducing carbs in the form of potatoes, rice, some dairy and fruit (I was eating some fruit before but was limiting it) after almost two years LC/VLC, the majority of that is no doubt straight water weight as my body is adjusting to processing carbs again.

I'm not advocating this approach is right for everyone, I'm simply sharing my experiences. I don't feel I'm doing myself harm, nor am I taking any aspect of this process to any extremes, like eating myself sick. Once my body is showing consistent signs that my metabolism is back to healthy function, I plan to adjust my eating again, reducing my daily intake incrementally, although now I know better than to go LC or eat below my BMR on a prolonged basis.

Comment

Same toothpaste for the past 5+ years, magnesium & zink supplements, red meat daily, bananas daily, multivit daily, had 2 squares dark chocolate yesterday and before that went for weeks without (don't like chocolate) - metal taste prior to chocolate consumption.
                          I'm guessing it's a micronutrient imbalance. Drop the chocolate for a bit just to see what happens. I'm guessing that between it and your supplements you are getting too much magnesium and its causing a micronutrient imbalance

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontwisst View Post
                            That was probably my post.
                            I see. Well, I wish everyone the best of luck healing from this stupid CW world. I also believe at some level we've all got to find our own ways through it all.

I think at some point I've been somewhat damaged by three generations of women living with modern fake foods. So I'm happy for what little progress I can make with whatever damaged teratogenic stuff I have been born with.

Comment

• I think at some point I've been somewhat damaged by three generations of women living with modern fake foods.
                              i have read somewhere that what your grandmother ate effects you. i know all our eggs form in utero so it kinda makes some sense from that pov. i should prob lecture my kids on this matter LOL they will truly think i am crazy then. thankfully mine all grew up way out the back boonies and their junk food would have been sugar or white flour not McDs and KFC. i dont even think either of them drank altho one did smoke.

Comment

• Well, my grandmother was firmly in the oleo and crisco generation. She fed my mother. I was in high school when the whole low fat franken foods thing started. So we switched to Country Crock and fat-free everything. Omega 6s, white flour and sugar galore for all three of us. Who knows what it's done. Plus all three of us are predisposed to being fat (unlike my dad's mom, my sister and her children.)

Comment

Working...
                                X