Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women who eat a ton without gaining....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yogabare, it might actually be a bit too much protein but if you arent eating several hours before bed then it shouldnt be a problem. Next time you get the sweats, try a small spoon of sugar/salt under your tongue. Restless legs might actually be from to much salt or dehydration, try a glass of water maybe.

    It just takes experimenting.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      This thread is moving fast! I think you are on to something, YogaBare.

      So for months now I have been pretty much ensuring that every meal I eat includes a large serving of lean meat and either ample vegetables or potatoes or both, usually without added fat except that needed for cooking or whatever is in the meat/nuts/avocados that I eat.

      Between Christmas, my birthday and Valentine's day I had been swimming in chocolate. I also normally drink a lot of wine. A few weeks ago I decided no more chocolate or wine.

      a) My waist measurement has decreased about an inch
      b) I really can't eat nearly as much quantity of food as I could before
      c) I've kind of sort of lost interest in food, especially treat-like things

      It's kind of like the potato diet with meat and vegetables added, or maybe I'm just finding out that strict paleo actually works.

      Also, I hurt myself so I've been trying to do lighter weights, no sprinting, but lots of squats.
      You also said some very lovely things on this thread sbhikes. Namely, how depriving yourself made you sad, and how real physical change is the sign of real inner transformation.

      We could be totally wrong in what we're doing, but right now it's making more sense to me. If toxins get stored in fat, then with a crap diet you need more fat to keep the toxins away from the organs. With a good diet, the food can actually be used to fuel the body and nourish the tissues.

      My body does not function to it's optimal ability. I have been doing something wrong, and the only thing I haven't tried is actually feeding myself and eating to my appetite. The reality is that I've been anorexic and I still wasn't thin enough so at this point I'm embracing the extra weight (which isn't even that much). Health and happiness, self love and appreciation is the new goal
      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

      In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

      - Ray Peat

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Zach View Post
        Yogabare, it might actually be a bit too much protein but if you arent eating several hours before bed then it shouldnt be a problem. Next time you get the sweats, try a small spoon of sugar/salt under your tongue. Restless legs might actually be from to much salt or dehydration, try a glass of water maybe.

        It just takes experimenting.
        Hmm. I've been really, really craving iron-rich protein so I don't think it's that. You know, I think it could be dehydration. I haven't been drinking much water...

        Thanks Zach
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

        In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

        - Ray Peat

        Comment


        • Originally posted by YogaBare View Post

          Btw, I think Bestbetter did the increase in cals combined with the cold baths!
          That's right. I was doing ice baths in the late spring/summer and began my increased calorie/overeating phase in August, so they did coincide. I had to stop the ice baths in the fall, unfortunately, because they were making me tense up too much and that was contributing to my chronic back/shoulder pain.

          I don't 100% know if the ice baths improved my metabolism, since I changed a whole bunch of variables simultaneously, but they definitely made a huge difference in my body's ability to regulate my temperature and to deal much better with both extreme hot and cold weather.

          However, I have noticed that taking long hot baths temporarily increase my body temperature and heart rate, which would indicate that heat raises metabolism. A disclaimer is that I have low BP, so the increased heart rate could be in reaction to a way too low BP; the hot bath lowers BP by 20-30 points, so if mine was too low to begin with, my body pulse probably went into overdrive when a dangerously low BP is detected.

          So ultimately, I'm really confused about whether hot bath or cold baths are better for metabolism, but I think they both have benefits

          Comment


          • Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
            Welcome to the club, where "feel(ing) super guilty because I wasn't really even that hungry when I got the burger" is unnecessary.

            Did you really have to force it down or did you feel guilty because you felt that you *could* have done without it and that would have been the *correct* thing to do to help you lose fat?
            Haha! I didn't have to force it down at all; in fact, I wolfed it down. I wolfed it down even though I wasn't really hungry. So, yeah, I felt guilty because the "correct" thing to do would have been to not eat it. But oh well.

            You know, since I stopped counting and restricting, I no longer feel the urge to binge on the weekends. I think all of those weekend binges were just a reaction to the weekday deprivation. I certainly feel more like a normal human being (no longer thinking and obsessing about food constantly), but sometimes I also feel like a pig.

            My journal

            Comment


            • Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
              That's right. I was doing ice baths in the late spring/summer and began my increased calorie/overeating phase in August, so they did coincide. I had to stop the ice baths in the fall, unfortunately, because they were making me tense up too much and that was contributing to my chronic back/shoulder pain.

              I don't 100% know if the ice baths improved my metabolism, since I changed a whole bunch of variables simultaneously, but they definitely made a huge difference in my body's ability to regulate my temperature and to deal much better with both extreme hot and cold weather.

              However, I have noticed that taking long hot baths temporarily increase my body temperature and heart rate, which would indicate that heat raises metabolism. A disclaimer is that I have low BP, so the increased heart rate could be in reaction to a way too low BP; the hot bath lowers BP by 20-30 points, so if mine was too low to begin with, my body pulse probably went into overdrive when a dangerously low BP is detected.

              So ultimately, I'm really confused about whether hot bath or cold baths are better for metabolism, but I think they both have benefits
              The cold baths did me a lot of good but, well, they just aren't fun! They are the cure for cellulite though, I would jump right in if I was planning on wearing a swimsuit in public any time soon. They made me warm all the time just like eating more does and it really gave me a ton of energy and made physical recovery and pains go away almost instantly. Wow, remembering all these things I really ought to start up again. It is just so COLD and I so love to feel warm and snuggly.
              PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

              Comment


              • Originally posted by serenity View Post
                Haha! I didn't have to force it down at all; in fact, I wolfed it down. I wolfed it down even though I wasn't really hungry. So, yeah, I felt guilty because the "correct" thing to do would have been to not eat it. But oh well.

                You know, since I stopped counting and restricting, I no longer feel the urge to binge on the weekends. I think all of those weekend binges were just a reaction to the weekday deprivation. I certainly feel more like a normal human being (no longer thinking and obsessing about food constantly), but sometimes I also feel like a pig.
                I know exactly what you mean. I'm feeling less like a pig now that my stomach is stretched because all the eating is happening at meal times instead of trying to feed all day to get the calories in. I also realize that now that I don't feel like I'm going to burst from the food it doesn't seem like I'm pigging out, I'm more able to see how it's still not an unusual looking amount of food, just more than I was used to. People must have thought I was just eating small bits in front of them and pigging out later!
                PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                Comment


                • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  This thread is moving fast! I think you are on to something, YogaBare.

                  So for months now I have been pretty much ensuring that every meal I eat includes a large serving of lean meat and either ample vegetables or potatoes or both, usually without added fat except that needed for cooking or whatever is in the meat/nuts/avocados that I eat.

                  Between Christmas, my birthday and Valentine's day I had been swimming in chocolate. I also normally drink a lot of wine. A few weeks ago I decided no more chocolate or wine.

                  a) My waist measurement has decreased about an inch
                  b) I really can't eat nearly as much quantity of food as I could before
                  c) I've kind of sort of lost interest in food, especially treat-like things

                  It's kind of like the potato diet with meat and vegetables added, or maybe I'm just finding out that strict paleo actually works.

                  Also, I hurt myself so I've been trying to do lighter weights, no sprinting, but lots of squats.
                  Does that mean that you are finding yourself naturally cutting calories then? I wonder why the dark chocolate and wine were such appetite stimulators for you?
                  PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                    Health and happiness, self love and appreciation is the new goal
                    I'm working hard to try and make this my goal and forget the rest. I hope we can all find this for ourselves
                    PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
                      Does that mean that you are finding yourself naturally cutting calories then? I wonder why the dark chocolate and wine were such appetite stimulators for you?
                      It could be they stimulated my appetite. It could be I've automatically cut calories by giving it up because it's not like they've been replaced by anything. I feel less hungry lately and less interested in eating or having a snack or a treat. I don't feel guilt about the volume of food I eat. I don't feel worried that oh no this big meal is going to put some pounds on. Hell no, if I'm hungry, bring me another plate! I kind of just don't feel much of anything negative regarding food right now. I eat as much as I want and sometimes I even eat as much as I can and nothing bad happens. It's great.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                        It could be they stimulated my appetite. It could be I've automatically cut calories by giving it up because it's not like they've been replaced by anything. I feel less hungry lately and less interested in eating or having a snack or a treat. I don't feel guilt about the volume of food I eat. I don't feel worried that oh no this big meal is going to put some pounds on. Hell no, if I'm hungry, bring me another plate! I kind of just don't feel much of anything negative regarding food right now. I eat as much as I want and sometimes I even eat as much as I can and nothing bad happens. It's great.
                        That's great! Sounds like you are in a pretty awesome place right now
                        PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
                          Cronometer says my average carbs over the last week were 312, with 40g fructose from fruit and honey, the rest of the carbs would be from yams and white potato mostly with a small amount from other veggies.
                          Gotcha. Those numbers are excellent! When it came to the list of your foods, I didn't see any starchy carb foods listed, but I must have just read it to fast. kudos!

                          Comment


                          • Thought I might share my experiences with this so far to bump this thread again...

                            It's been about two(ish) weeks of refeeding for me; for sure two weeks of conscious effort - there were a few days in the week or so prior to my deciding to give this a shot where I was just eating everything around me. I haven't been on the scale in a few weeks - it was TOM, no point in weighing when I know I'm (more) full of water. Got on the scale this morning, though, and, from the last time I weighed in, it's up 10 or 12 pounds. Holy hell. I knew it'd be up, I can feel it in my clothes and just overall. Everything is squishier right now. But I know it's mostly water since I have made a point of adding in lots of starch and fruit carbs each day, and not being too concerned about added sugar (scaling that back as of today) - besides, there's no way I've eaten a surplus of 35k calories in two weeks. Shit, I like to eat, but that's not even physically possible, I don't think.

                            I started tracking my body temp on the 9th as well...I mentioned in an earlier post it was 96.8 the first couple of days. I started taking it right in the middle of my TOM and, TBH, I don't know what affect that has on base temp, whether it should be lower or higher than normal then or what. But this morning it was up to 97.4, which is encouraging to me. The last week I've noticed my hands, which are almost always icy, still get cold at times, but are less so. My feet are still pretty much always chilly, but I know that'll come with time...

                            Other things I've noticed...most nights last week I slept really well, which is a rarity for me. I've been a bad sleeper for yeeeears. I'd always attributed it in the past to quitting smoking weed on the regular (spent my early 20's as a high-functioning pothead... :/ ) but ten years on, there's no way that's still a factor. Anyway, along with the super sleeping, I was having a lot of really vivid dreams, and I woke up remembering them (even if they were so bizarre they made no sense at all). The last two nights I didn't sleep as well (probably related to having 3-4 alcoholic drinks each night, and I'm not much of a drinker), but both nights I snapped awake at right around 3am, with the sensation of smelling something AMAZING cooking (this morning it was like breakfast sausage...the kind that makes your mouth water and stomach growl just smelling it sizzling away in the pan) and like I could totally go tear through the fridge, which I didn't. Both nights I just got up for a few quick gulps of water then back to bed for some more interrupted, crap sleep.

                            The first week I felt really super drained...like, once I was through with my work for the day all I wanted to do was melt into the couch, which I totally did a couple of those days. The past four or five days my energy has been better, which to me is another great sign that things are on the mend.

                            Did some more reading on the EM2WL website and related forums on myfitnesspal.com today and, despite the shock and awe from the scale reading this morning, have every intention of seeing this through, continuing eating a whole bunch more than I'm used to, at least until my temps are up beyond 98.0 on a consistent basis. Gonna go take another boo through Diet Recovery 2 this afternoon to clear up a few things, and keep on.

                            Hope the rest of you are keeping well...happy Monday!

                            Comment


                            • One thing that really helped me was the sugar and salt anytime i had trouble sleeping. Water would probably make things worse.

                              Comment


                              • I'm still feeling super drained from this. I'm also trying to stop reading forums, diet books and logging my foods in. I've subbed this thread, but trying to stay away from everything else. I'm up 9 pounds and maybe going up still but very slowly. I can't wait for the energy to come back! With no change in what I'm eating, only in how much, I find it amazing the energy difference. I know it isn't from what I'm eating but is truly just the calories. Ever since my TOM my temp is down to usually 98.1 and my appetite is much diminished but I think I'm still keeping it up to 2500 or so. Trying not to count as much though. I'm in need of some mental healing as well from disordered food behavior.
                                PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X