No announcement yet.

Women who eat a ton without gaining....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I never turned Paleo with the intention of loosing weight. I cut out carbs on the SCD diet to help some severe stomach bloating. I have struggled with an eating disorder for years, always trying to cut calories and over exercise to loose weight. After going on the SCD diet and turning paleo, focusing on my stomach problems rather than my weight, I just lost so much weight. I had stopped exercising (previously was going to gym everyday), and eating as much as I needed, and certainly more fat than i ever have done before. I have put back on a bit of weight and feel i have stablised at 50KG.

I really feel your body has it's own ideal weight and it will only work with you to reach it under the right conditions. Cutting out carbs was just a simple solution for me. I don't think trying to overeat would be a good idea, it is not easy to just fool your own metabolic rate. Your body needs energy and hunger is the signal that it isn't getting enough. Rather than adjusting the amount you're eating you need to keep adjusting fat, protein and carb proportions in your diet and perhaps find the lowest amount of carbs you can go. overeating won't help!! your metabolism isn't 'broken', you just aren't giving yourself the conditions it is asking for. You're metabolism is probably better at burning fat than you give it credit for.

At the same time, you're body's ideal weight may not align with the ideal image you have of yourself in your head. It has taken me a long time to realise that the perfect body i wanted to look like was neither healthy or sustainable. If you've already lost weight, and nothing seems to be working, maybe you have reached what is optimally healthy for you.

Comment

• Hey guys, I think I belong here.

Been paleo for the past 3-4 months, I'm about 80%, as I have cheat weekends sometimes, and/or don't turn down cheesecake or a burger if I'm at a special event. I can go weeks being 100% paleo.

I've currently lost my period, as my weight has dropped with no recent cheat weeks. I went from 119 to 115. I've currently upped my caloric intake to 3000+, and still nothing. Eating almonds, pure animal fat, coconut cream, chocolate bars... waiting for some weight gain to happen... This has been in the past 3 weeks. I've also lost my period, it hasn't shown up at all this month, so I'm thinking my bodyfat is too low. I'm hoping adding the extra fat will help me with a bit of weight gain (aiming for 120-123), and I'm hoping it goes back to my boobs (where I seem to have lost it) and my bum... Any thought on this ladies? I'm having a really hard gaining back the weight, but I guess all in due time...

Must add... i've been lean my entire life. Always ranging from 113 to 125, but having started paleo my body fat has really dropped off. I am digging my muscles though
      ‎"I've heard tell that what you imagine sometimes comes true " - Roald Dahl

“Keep making things and treating people well.”- Jason Gregory

"Don’t try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different enough."- Arthur Freed

5'6"
      24 year old female
      Current: Always between 115 and 119.
      Goal: Get ripped.
      My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by amber_maiden View Post
        Hey guys, I think I belong here.

Been paleo for the past 3-4 months, I'm about 80%, as I have cheat weekends sometimes, and/or don't turn down cheesecake or a burger if I'm at a special event. I can go weeks being 100% paleo.

I've currently lost my period, as my weight has dropped with no recent cheat weeks. I went from 119 to 115. I've currently upped my caloric intake to 3000+, and still nothing. Eating almonds, pure animal fat, coconut cream, chocolate bars... waiting for some weight gain to happen... This has been in the past 3 weeks. I've also lost my period, it hasn't shown up at all this month, so I'm thinking my bodyfat is too low. I'm hoping adding the extra fat will help me with a bit of weight gain (aiming for 120-123), and I'm hoping it goes back to my boobs (where I seem to have lost it) and my bum... Any thought on this ladies? I'm having a really hard gaining back the weight, but I guess all in due time...

Must add... i've been lean my entire life. Always ranging from 113 to 125, but having started paleo my body fat has really dropped off. I am digging my muscles though
        One word, carbs.

Comment

• Taking in between 150 and 300g of carbs a day... I should up it more than that?

"Don’t try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different enough."- Arthur Freed

5'6"
          24 year old female
          My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
            One word, carbs.
            Hey I agree! Carbs should help you put on some weight. Fruit and sweet potato preferred.

Woops just saw your already eating 150-300g/day. Well your gonna have to just get your calories way up then. Throw in a whole extra meal somewhere if you can.

Comment

One word, carbs.
              Can you go on Zach? Just wondering from your unique perspective how eating carbs on one hand gives the body what it needs and can be part of nourishing our bodies and losing fat, and for her a way to gain fat. Perhaps the greater view of balancing the body no matter what side of ideal you sit on? Needing the carbs for fertility reasons? Anyway, I'd love more detail.
              Last edited by PaleoMom; 03-12-2013, 04:39 PM.
              PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                Hey I agree! Carbs should help you put on some weight. Fruit and sweet potato preferred.

Woops just saw your already eating 150-300g/day. Well your gonna have to just get your calories way up then. Throw in a whole extra meal somewhere if you can.
                The topic of this thread is about upping calories NOT leading to fat gain, and she seems to be proving that theory correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by amber_maiden View Post
                  Hey guys, I think I belong here.

I've currently lost my period, as my weight has dropped with no recent cheat weeks. I went from 119 to 115. I've currently upped my caloric intake to 3000+, and still nothing. Eating almonds, pure animal fat, coconut cream, chocolate bars... waiting for some weight gain to happen....

Carbs may be a part of it, but I doubt it is the singular answer as you said you've always been lean.

Have you missed periods before going paleo?
                  Have your cycles been spot on like clockwork or variable?
                  Have your flows always been consistant?
                  What are your stools like and toilet symptoms, quick and easy etc?
                  Are there any other long term symptoms in your past, anxiety, depression, skin conditions, autoimmune?

A dropped period may be a symptom of a problem, or it may be a symptom of a change, like resetting of the clock for daylight savings, you lose an hour.
                  My partner has an autoimmune hyper thyroid condition and watching her cycle was part of the healing protocol, she fluctuated from 2 - 6 weeks at times, had some that only left 3 drops of blood, others went for a good week solid flow, sometimes missed one all together. We know they were an indicator of her healing process in some way, but all we could do was observe and log, as time went on she became much more regular in all ways and PMS symptoms also dropped back, and stools followed a similar process.

So it may not be a case of anything wrong, maybe just an indicator of changes occuring within your body, it needs to be taken in context with your history and also any current symptoms good or bad to give a clearer picture of what may be going on.

My partner has never been too lean, always cuddly, so low body fat isn't the only reason women may skip or lose their period for a while.
                  Last edited by Omni; 03-12-2013, 04:54 PM.
                  "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

• Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
                    Can you go on Zach? Just wondering from your unique perspective how eating carbs on one hand gives the body what it needs and can be part of nourishing our bodies and losing fat, and for her a way to gain fat. Perhaps the greater view of balancing the body no matter what side of ideal you sit on? Needing the carbs for fertility reasons? Anyway, I'd love more detail.
                    My advice was more geared to getting her period back. I believe that she must be missing something crucial in her diet. That said, for me to give more then one word advice i would have know much more about her diet and lifestyle. She said she lost her period by going low carb primal and losing weight, but now saying she eats 150-300g carbs and 3000 cals a day. A few days ago in a different thread she said carbs make her gain fat so she avoids them, so somethings not adding up.

As for your question, everyone would need specific advice, tailored to their own goals. Carbs can certainly be used to both lose and gain fat, depending on other factors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post

Yeah... at this point I'm stuffing myself with fat, just because it's concentrated calories. I feel full around 2000 cals, usually... unless there's a whole roast chicken in front of me. I'll eat an entire one of those, even if I'm full! LOL

5'6"
                      24 year old female
                      My Journal

Comment

My advice was more geared to getting her period back. I believe that she must be missing something crucial in her diet. That said, for me to give more then one word advice i would have know much more about her diet and lifestyle. She said she lost her period by going low carb primal and losing weight, but now saying she eats 150-300g carbs and 3000 cals a day. A few days ago in a different thread she said carbs make her gain fat so she avoids them, so somethings not adding up.

As for your question, everyone would need specific advice, tailored to their own goals. Carbs can certainly be used to both lose and gain fat, depending on other factors.
                        Thanks for the details

Perhaps even the shock of these major changes in diet could stop it for awhile. It might be good to log foods into something like cronometer and see if any micronutrients are not being met.

Comment

• In answer to Omni:

Have you missed periods before going paleo?: Years ago... 6 years ago about, when I was a raw vegan. My weight dropped veyr low on that diet, and I got my period back when I became only a vegan and dropped the raw- and gained the weight back. It still took several months for my period to come back then, however. Still kept it when I went gluten-free vegan.

Have your cycles been spot on like clockwork or variable? Periods were regular before pregnancy, and have been fairly regular (every month, every 26-30 days max) since giving birth- got my period back right away, even with breast feeding.

Have your flows always been consistant?: See above. Always lasting 4 days.

What are your stools like and toilet symptoms, quick and easy etc?: Quick, easy. Go to the bathroom several times a day.

Are there any other long term symptoms in your past, anxiety, depression, skin conditions, autoimmune?: I have acne on my jawline, that I can't get rid of... or rather, small bumps. I get stressed out easily. That's about it...

Originally posted by Zach View Post

Starches (mainly potatoes and rice... bananas seem to be fine) make me gain fat- belly fat specifically. Not sure if I staid that on my previous thread of not...

5'6"
                          24 year old female
                          My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
                            Thanks for the details

Perhaps even the shock of these major changes in diet could stop it for awhile. It might be good to log foods into something like cronometer and see if any micronutrients are not being met.
                            Yep, have been with cronometer for a couple of months now. I track everything.

5'6"
                            24 year old female
                            My Journal

Comment

• What does a day in your current diet look? Hows your stress and sleep?

Comment

What does a day in your current diet look? Hows your stress and sleep?
                                This is what I've eaten for the past three days. Keep in mind it varies, so some days I eat different meats. I also don't log oils I use.

Today:
                                1 small banana
                                4 cups of tomatoes, diced
                                3 cups of veggies, mixed- carrots, broc, cauliflower
                                1/2 a pineapple
                                60 almonds
                                1 bar of Lindt 90% dark chocolate
                                4 beef patties
                                .5 cup of blackberries
                                5 cloves garlic
                                1 onion

Yesterday:
                                6 cups of diced tomatoes
                                3 beef patties
                                4 cups of mixed veggies- same as above
                                30 almonds
                                1 bar dark chcolate
                                5 slices of bacon
                                1 cup of walnuts
                                half of a fillet of salmon
                                30 almonds
                                1 onion
                                6 cloves of garlic

Sunday:
                                3 banans
                                4 cups of chicken bone broth
                                10 pitted medjool dates
                                6 slices of bacon
                                1/2 a chicken breast
                                1/2 a fillet of salmon
                                3 cups of mixed veggies
                                .5 a cup of walnuts
                                70 almonds
                                20g of dark chocolate

(I've only recently added the chocolate... actually hadn't eaten any in a long time, and it's only been the past 3 days I've eaten it... I don't have any left now. I also upped my nut intake).

5'6"
                                24 year old female
                                My Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X