Women who eat a ton without gaining....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
    There is an aversive therapy where the therapist would assign a client who felt that certain foods were problematic the task of only consuming those foods, and consuming them to an excess. Being not only permitted to consume only wine and chocolate but required to would result in your getting sick of those very quickly.

I'm not suggesting that this is necessarily appropriate, or that you do it. But it is an interesting concept.
    Yes, please don't actually do this with wine and chocolate! I can't imagine how sick that could make a person! I also doubt the wine and chocolate is what is giving you trouble. Perhaps if the chocolate was milk/high sugar...

sbhikes: I do hope you track your food at least a few days so we can know with more clarity how to compare your intake with your experiences. I feel like the more data we collect on each other the more we can help everyone to put this battle behind us.
    PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
      To the people that eat a lot, and stay relatively low carb (the +/- 100 gram type, not ketosis), what are you eating and do you track it?

I did an experiment yesterday and ate "a lot". I ended up around 1700 calories and can't imagine a primal way to easily get up to 2200 calories. I can imagine a high carb way.
      Breakfast was 3 eggs, bacon, asparagus, coffee with full fat coconut milk
      lunch was a banana, blueberries, roast beef ( lot of it)
      dinner was a steak, cauliflower in coconut oil, and a salad with dressing and avocado.

I thought FOR CERTAIN I was going to be over 2000 calories.

I just wonder if big primal eaters overestimate calories? And if not, how do you afford it?
      Thankyou for tracking your day, it gives me an indication. I feel like I eat plenty but I never count calories. I would eat similar to what you do, probably with some extra nuts along the way. ie

Breakfast: Omelette (butter, mushrooms, a little bacon, two eggs, some milk). Lunch: Lamb spare rib, green beans with butter, coleslaw of carrot, cheese and toasted sesame seeds with dressing of lemon juice. Several slices of watermelon. Dinner: Takeaways (potatoes in nasty oil; one piece of fish, batter removed; one pineapple fritter, batter removed; tomato sauce).

So even though this was one of my least primal days, I don't think eaten too many calories or missed out on too many veges.
      Annie Ups the Ante
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
        Since starting this I have been getting in 2900-3400 calories a day of primal food.
        When did you start, when you started the thread? I have been trying to increase for a couple of months and still not up to BMR
        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• Since starting heavy lifting and spending time on other forums as well, I've been making sure to eat over my BMR, but under maintenance. I lost my first 60lbs the CW starvation calorie-reduction way, so I'm determined to do it right this time around, and be way more fit when I'm done.

It's all still mostly primal, exceptions being some protein powder and "evil" rice krispies once in a while I've stopped micromanaging my foods, and not entirely concerned about whether things are primal or not anymore. I just eat good food. I pay more for my meat, eggs, and dairy to get higher quality. That's about it.

I eat more carbs, so I'll have potatoes and rice along with my meals. Meats are typically bottom round roast, tuna and salmon (taking a break from chicken). Mayo and relish for the tuna and salmon. I'll put coconut oil and sour cream on my potatoes, or eat my rice with a couple of eggs. Greek yogurt with some honey and coconut thrown in maybe. Frozen and blended banana with some smashed chocolate chips in for dessert.

It tends to settle around 1800-1900 calories, and that's because I'm counting and trying to keep it under 2k. My BMR is somewhere in the 1500s.

I'm not IFing, which makes it easier to eat more unfortunately... but for now it's out of the equation. Fats are really what brings the calorie count up for me, and therefore what I have to watch, so when I see people struggling to eat over x number, I can't even imagine that anymore... But, if it works for them, great.

Comment

• Originally posted by gopintos View Post
            When did you start, when you started the thread? I have been trying to increase for a couple of months and still not up to BMR
            I started exactly 1 week ago, which is a day or two before I started the thread. Just to be clear this is WORK. I'm not just eating til I feel full. I'm eating until I feel quite uncomfortable and maintaining that uncomfortable feeling all day. I'm starting to feel like it is paying off though. I don't know if this is right or not, but my thought was I don't want to drag this out. I would rather go through this discomfort, giving my body ALL the extra nutrition it needs right from the beginning so that I don't have to wait as long for it to heal, and to get the message that the food is coming and the famine is now over. As for temperature gain, I'm not putting too much excitement into it going up at this point due to where I'm at in my monthly cycle. If it is still high after I menstrate, then I'll be excited
            PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

• Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
              ... and to get the message that the food is coming and the famine is now over.
              That part makes sense. I was thinking of starting a way more rigid & structured exercise program and timing my carbs starting tomorrow. To the point of anal. I was tired of being anal about calories & nutrition, and thought I might try to be anal about the fitness side of things for awhile. My self-diagnosed OCD only allows me to be anal about one thing at a time. I wonder if I should still only focus on getting my calories up, or can I do both? hmmm. I should be able to do both. The increased exercise will most certainly make me more hungry but it also might only increase my deficit. Probably not by that much though. Just typing outloud.....
              65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

I did an experiment yesterday and ate "a lot". I ended up around 1700 calories and can't imagine a primal way to easily get up to 2200 calories. I can imagine a high carb way.
                Really? Perhaps it is because I am a guy that this seems rather odd to me. For example, I made a recipe from Chocotaco's blog the other day - ribs. The nutrition info was:

Calories…2,115
                Fat…160g
                Carbohydrate…6g
                Dietary Fiber…2g
                Protein…155g

I ate them for dinner. 2100+ calories in one sitting. It was not hard. That was after eating during the day so it was not as if I was breaking a 16 hour IF or something. Actually, I had four servings of Full-fat fage and nuts that day (1400 calories, 96g fat, 60g carb, 92g protein). As well as 6 eggs cooked in butter (531 calories, 41g fat, 2.5g carb, 37.7 protein)

That is over 4000 calories and I could have eaten again. Carb count was under 70g.

I didn't get to be 300 pounds by eating 1200 calories. I doubt many people here did (of course, there are exceptions). I also do not eat 4000+ calories every day. I was just really hungry that day. But to say I can't imagine getting up to 2200 calories easily is a bit of a stretch.

Comment

• I didn't get to be 300 pounds by eating 1200 calories. I doubt many people here did (of course, there are exceptions).
                  Of course not. But we ate junk food. I could EASILY make 2200 calories with the use of white potatoes, bread, pasta, sugar, primal sweets. I mean, how many ribs did you eat? I guess it does come down to eating fattier meats and using more fat to cook with.

I mean you ate alot of calories, but damn, that is an expensive way to eat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Primal is one of the more limiting Paleo protocols, even with its dairy allowance. The rigid carb curve would usually have to be discarded to keep calories high. Fruit, dairy, and starches in much higher quantities.

I think Mark's carb curve is holding primal back. It has initial great success rates, but much like Atkins, the long-term adherence fails for many people unless they ignore arbitrary numbers.
                    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Of course not. But we ate junk food. I could EASILY make 2200 calories with the use of white potatoes, bread, pasta, sugar, primal sweets. I mean, how many ribs did you eat? I guess it does come down to eating fattier meats and using more fat to cook with.

I mean you ate alot of calories, but damn, that is an expensive way to eat.

I ate all of them, and, yes, that is a very expensive way too eat. I generally only buy ribs if they are on sale. Also 4000 calories is not normal by any means. I just wanted to illustrate that 2200 calories is not hard for me to imagine. I just find it a funny quirk about some posters here (certainly not you specifically) that they claim there is no way they can eat X number of calories. I can and call it dinner

Edited...looking back on my eating lately it is more a calorie cycle. 4000 calories one day. Today I have eaten two apples and about 2 ounces of cheese. I may eat again later. I might not. I'm just not hungry today. The other day I would have slapped my mother for another rib

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                        I ate all of them, and, yes, that is a very expensive way too eat. I generally only buy ribs if they are on sale. Also 4000 calories is not normal by any means. I just wanted to illustrate that 2200 calories is not hard for me to imagine. I just find it a funny quirk about some posters here (certainly not you specifically) that they claim there is no way they can eat X number of calories. I can and call it dinner

Edited...looking back on my eating lately it is more a calorie cycle. 4000 calories one day. Today I have eaten two apples and about 2 ounces of cheese. I may eat again later. I might not. I'm just not hungry today. The other day I would have slapped my mother for another rib
                        I don't think anybody said that you couldn't imagine eating that much. Just because you do it regularly doesn't mean that I could imagine eating 3500 calories in a day.

Comment

I don't think anybody said that you couldn't imagine eating that much. Just because you do it regularly doesn't mean that I could imagine eating 3500 calories in a day.
                          I think I am being too literal in my thoughts on the word imagine. I am pretty sure there is not a person here who cannot imagine eating 3500 calories. Hell, I can imagine riding a unicorn with Jessica Beil. That does not mean I can do that. As such, I just need to revise my reading of the word imagine to mean "I cannot actually eat 3500 calories of primal food in one day"

Comment

• I think you are not nearly as skilled at mind-reading as you think you are.

Comment

I think you are not nearly as skilled at mind-reading as you think you are.
                              Damn, and I just bought this crystal ball.

Comment

• I'll try to estimate to my best right now.

Breakfast:
                                1 sweet potato: 100
                                2 cups cubed chicken breast: 460

Lunch:
                                Mixed veggies (panda express clone): 70 (really?? I find that hard to believe.)
                                Teriyaki chicken: 250

Snack:
                                Chocolate: 250

Dinner:
                                Wine: 25 x 12oz = 300
                                Sweet Potato: 100
                                Vegetables: 70
                                Salmon: 300
                                More chocolate, what the heck: 250
                                Cheese, what the heck: 120 x 3oz (estimate): 360

Total: 2210

This would be a day where I felt like I ate fairly normally, if not a little on the conservative side.

My Fitness Pal tells me that to lose a microscopic amount of weight I'd need to consume 1200 calories. Then I'd lose maybe 10lbs in 6 months or so. If I wanted to stay the same weight, it tells me to eat 1500 calories a day. I eat at least this much every single day. I do exercise every day, but not a whole lot and usually not very strenuously.
                                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X