Tips for Restricting Dairy and Nuts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for Restricting Dairy and Nuts?

Anyone have any tips to share on how you were able to cut nuts AND dairy? My weight loss has stalled for quite a while, and I know it is likely due to the nuts and dairy. I completed a whole30 without any dairy and only lost 1.5 pounds. It's likely I replaced dairy with too many nuts.

I'd like to try restricting both, but need some tips. I know I should be satisfied with just my meals, and shouldn't feel the need to eat in between, but I do. This is when I grab a handful of nuts, or eat some greek yogurt. I also rarely eat fruit. Any suggestions, or experience?

Thank you!

My advice would be to measure, honestly, although I know some people on here don't like the idea of counting. If you want it, measure a serving, and then put the rest away. If it fits into your macro allotment, you should be just fine.

Comment

...don't buy 'em?

Comment

Don't eat them? I was never a fan and they've never been a regular part of my daily meal.
        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalStudent View Post
          My advice would be to measure, honestly, although I know some people on here don't like the idea of counting. If you want it, measure a serving, and then put the rest away. If it fits into your macro allotment, you should be just fine.
          this - if you don't want to cut them out measure.

I find stict meal planning helps too, I know what I'm eating for every meal till friday, when I go shopping again with a meal plan, there is no room for extra bits to creap in this way (grilled pork belly slices and eggs for breakfast today in a couple of hours NOM)
          You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

I've cut both nuts and dairy--and I did it simply by no longer buying them. However, I don't 'snack.' If you feel the need to snack, you should focus on getting sufficient nutrition in your meals. Then you can consider snacking a 'habit,' and habits can be broken. Breaking the snacking habit is a gift you can give yourself.

That said, I have only one significant meal a day, and at other times, I will have a 'small meal'--which would be a snack for many people. It may be an egg-white 'brownie' (just egg white and unsweetened cocoa) with a cup of tea or coffee or an egg-white 'omelet' (a few veggies) in a soup mug, or just a mug of homemade bone broth.

Comment

Eat more meat? I've cut dairy recently (I've been through this a few times ) and what I do is have more "real food". My biggie was always cheese so now instead of a 5 oz burger with 2 oz of cheese I have an 8 oz burger. Carnitas... no sour cream, more pork and some guacamole. You sound like yogurt is the issue though - so maybe other snacky foods - a whole small avocado for easy to carry, a bowl of homemade guac with carrots and celery if you are home. Hard boiled eggs are good. Can you find quality cured meats - grill up a sausage or something. Coconut milk on berries is a yogurt-esque kind of snack.

I wish you better luck then me - I always end up getting back on dairy!

Comment

...don't buy 'em?
                ^ This. I used to overeat dairy, so I stopped buying it. Not in the fridge, so I can't eat it. Then I started overeating nuts. So I stopped buying those. If I need a snack, I cook up an egg.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by lorichka6 View Post
                  Eat more meat?
                  This, this, this! I used to be addicted to cheese. I would go through pounds of it a week. There was nothing unusual about eating 8 ounces as series of snacks, or eating it until my tummy hurt. Cheese would call me from inside the refrigerator and I would just start until it was gone.

Now I eat more meat during meals and don't even feel the need to snack.

If I had a problem with nuts, I wouldn't keep them in the house.

Craving nuts or dairy may be a sign you're not getting enough protein or fat in your diet. Often we crave things that can't really satisfy the needs behind the cravings.

Comment

I having been reading Perfect Health Diet, and the Jaminets write that omega-6s (nuts) make you fat. I cut my nut consumption way back immediately. I guess they convinced me! I've been better about the cheese, too, as they recommend cutting back on the fat for the weight-loss version of their diet.

Comment

For me, eating a more substantial breakfast allowed me to cut out snacks (as well as lunch).
                      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Pretty ironic timing for me and this thread. I have noticed a slight difference after increasing almonds, pistachios and cashews the past three weeks. I’ll be cutting most of them out and sticking with sunflower seeds for the next few weeks. I think they are great in moderation but I tend to over consume these things and they can add up quick.

Comment

If you absolutely must keep nuts in the house, buy them in the shell and get a nutcracker. That will slow you down and make you work for each one.

Comment

One thing I found helpful was to weigh an ounce of nuts into a small dish, then consider that a serving. Otherwise it's easy to mindlessly eat 3 or 4 times that much.

Comment

Working...
                            X