Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow, you must eat a repetitive diet! Sounds boring!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long ago I realized that almost everything I ate could be described as bread, cheese and tomatoes. Burritos: flour tortilla (bread), cheese, salsa (tomatoes) and beans. Pizza: crust (bread), tomato sauce, cheese. Spaghetti: pasta (bread), tomato sauce, paremsan cheese. So I swore off bread cheese and tomatoes and suddenly was eating way more variety.

Friday dinner: fillet mignon, potatoes and spinach, quail, smoked salmon and fennel, wine. Would anybody rather have pizza or burritos?

Anyway, you can't argue with people who disagree on the basis of "variety." The only thing you can do is maybe cook for them one night.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I look for excitement and satisfaction in other aspects of my life which makes me much happier than when I was chasing the high from a highly palatable meal.

Eating is something that humans must do for survival; it shouldn't be 'fun' or 'satisfying' or 'exciting'. Looking for emotional fulfillment from food, in my opinion, is dangerous. Food is not a friend. It doesn't have a personality, therefore thinking of it as being 'boring' is personifying it in a really unhealthy way.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
        send that idiot to chowstalker
        came here to say this

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          Long ago I realized that almost everything I ate could be described as bread, cheese and tomatoes. Burritos: flour tortilla (bread), cheese, salsa (tomatoes) and beans. Pizza: crust (bread), tomato sauce, cheese. Spaghetti: pasta (bread), tomato sauce, paremsan cheese. So I swore off bread cheese and tomatoes and suddenly was eating way more variety.

Friday dinner: fillet mignon, potatoes and spinach, quail, smoked salmon and fennel, wine. Would anybody rather have pizza or burritos?

Anyway, you can't argue with people who disagree on the basis of "variety." The only thing you can do is maybe cook for them one night.
          A-freaking-men.

I get a frustration headache when folks at work act like I'm starving myself by not chomping down on a bagel on Friday mornings with them, or when I get my burger without a bun. Some have told me that "all of that protein must get old fast!" Then I think about what they eat - bagel and cream cheese for breakfast... sandwich for lunch... pasta for dinner... and I think to myself, "You're the one with the boring diet!"

The things I used to eat way back when weren't much different: pop tarts for breakfast, huge sandwich for lunch, pizza for dinner. At least 350 grams of carbs per day, making up at least 60% of my Calories. Ridiculous and totally boring and flavorless!
          >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
          >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
          >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
            I'm not sure how being able to eat damn near every animal and plant on earth is boring, but whatever. I do tend to eat sort of repetitively, but that's not for lack of options--I just think eggs, bacon, steak, and veggies is phenomenal. I eat a ton of other stuff on a rotating basis, but man are my staples delicious...
            Great points! I feel I have way more options now than when I was eating a SAD diet, not to mention all the health benefits that go with the change.
            "These amps go to 11..." Nigel Tufnel, Spinal Tap

SW: 225
            CW: 177
            GW: 170
            M/43/6'

Comment

I think most people settle on a fairly repetitive diet. Yu get a few meals that are your "go to" meals that are easy to cook, use ingredients you usually have on hand, etc. Life is just easier that way. Mine ends up being repetitively nourishing and delicious. My go to breakfast is an omelet with sautéed onion and mushroom, smoked salmon, cheese. Repetitive? Sure. Better than daily grey oatmeal? No question.

Comment

The funny thing is paleo and primal remove all the BLAND things what's left are the tasty parts.
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Tell me this looks ordinary, bland or lacking in variety.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

How sad is it that the average American thinks "what else is there??" when the option of grains is removed from one's diet? That's pretty telling as to where our society is in regard to nutritional education and overall state of health - or more accurately, the total lack thereof - on both counts.
                    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post

Tell me this looks ordinary, bland or lacking in variety.
                      Holy crap! That made me salivate and I don't usually get even a small hunger pang until about 4pm.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJenGo View Post
                        How sad is it that the average American thinks "what else is there??" when the option of grains is removed from one's diet? That's pretty telling as to where our society is in regard to nutritional education and overall state of health - or more accurately, the total lack thereof - on both counts.
                        It's just that for most people, after you take out sandwiches, bagels, pasta, and pizza, there's nothing left in their diet but Coke.

Comment

It's like not repetitive because one day you have angel hair pasta for your side, and the next day - bow ties? And after that, like, spaghetti? Wow.
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                            It's just that for most people, after you take out sandwiches, bagels, pasta, and pizza, there's nothing left in their diet but Coke.
                            That's so true and so bleak.

I like all those things (except Coke because to me it tastes like some freakish experiment and almost always has). Bagels are an effort - it's really silly to drive 1400 miles to NY for good ones, so that's been pretty easy to deal with; also, lox and goat cheese tastes even better wrapped in nori. Pasta - meh and spaghetti squash only tastes about a gazillion times better. Pizza was tough, but I find that if I saute the toppings in a pan and melt fresh mozzarella on top, I really don't miss the crust (again, I don't exactly live in the land of awesome pizza crust anyway).

Sandwiches. A muffaletta. Ham 'n' swiss or fried oyster po'boy dressed. Once or twice a month. No one's perfect. Still, one doesn't have to go 100% to reap the health benefits. Cutting back to one or two sandwiches a month made more sense to me than blowing off Primal completely just because bread isn't good for me.

People lack creativity if they think Primal is boring. Also, having an all or nothing mindset can get in the way of making changes that would improve health. Get rid of HFCS, buy organic, buy grass fed and wild, don't eat things that come in microwaveable trays covered in clear wrap, don't stuff your face with grains to the point of addiction, stay away from bpa, bgh, etc. Don't eat anywhere that has more than three locations. If anything ending in "ose" is the first or second ingredient, put it back on the shelf and step away. Just doing those things would improve most people's overall long term health.

Rambling... sorry. heh.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                              That's so true and so bleak.

I like all those things (except Coke because to me it tastes like some freakish experiment and almost always has). Bagels are an effort - it's really silly to drive 1400 miles to NY for good ones, so that's been pretty easy to deal with; also, lox and goat cheese tastes even better wrapped in nori. Pasta - meh and spaghetti squash only tastes about a gazillion times better. Pizza was tough, but I find that if I saute the toppings in a pan and melt fresh mozzarella on top, I really don't miss the crust (again, I don't exactly live in the land of awesome pizza crust anyway).

Sandwiches. A muffaletta. Ham 'n' swiss or fried oyster po'boy dressed. Once or twice a month. No one's perfect. Still, one doesn't have to go 100% to reap the health benefits. Cutting back to one or two sandwiches a month made more sense to me than blowing off Primal completely just because bread isn't good for me.

People lack creativity if they think Primal is boring. Also, having an all or nothing mindset can get in the way of making changes that would improve health. Get rid of HFCS, buy organic, buy grass fed and wild, don't eat things that come in microwaveable trays covered in clear wrap, don't stuff your face with grains to the point of addiction, stay away from bpa, bgh, etc. Don't eat anywhere that has more than three locations. If anything ending in "ose" is the first or second ingredient, put it back on the shelf and step away. Just doing those things would improve most people's overall long term health.

Rambling... sorry. heh.
                              I used to be such a gluten fiend, and I had no idea. I made my own bread, pizza, pasta, even seitan. But then I went on a low carb diet for a few days because I felt like I was eating too much starch and a miracle occurred. My arthritis went away and I could walk pain-free.

I never looked back. My household is gluten-free. I focus on foods I can eat, not pathetic gluten-free processed substitutes. I've been gluten-free over a decade now. Bread? I keep a loaf of a purchased gf bread in case somebody wants a slice. Pasta? Asian rice pasta. Pizza? This is fabulous. Try it.

I think it's hilarious when people say they can't live without wheat products. Or wouldn't want to. Seriously, willing to die over bad pizza and dried out burgers? Who has their priorities mixed up?

Comment

I think the OP's friend is using code for "I don't want to give up pasta, bread and chemically laden processed foods" personally. Because eating Primal is widely varied.

But like the first responder said, there's no point arguing with someone about their diet. He's going into it with eyes wide open. he admits his diet is going to result in less than optimal health.
                                High Weight: 225
                                Weight at start of Primal: 189
                                Current Weight: 174
                                Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Working...
                                X