Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Can I ask how much you work out, Choco?

And an ideal day of carbs would be, what... one piece of fruit, one starch...? I've had a look at the Perfect Health Diet and they suggest a few lbs of starch a day.
    3 times a week, 60 minute sessions. 75% of the time I'm sitting on my butt recovering. I sit on my butt at a desk 5 days a week, 9 hours a day.

There is no "ideal day" of starch. Find out what makes you feel best. You'll know if you're overconsuming because too much starch will make you tired and bloat (hey, you're overeating, it happens!). But when you take in the right amount, you feel better than you've ever felt in your life.

Typically after a workout, I eat about 800g of sweet potatoes, a plantain and a piece of fruit with a pound of protein, maybe some yogurt. I'm 26, 5'7", 150 lbs. For your age and if you lift (and I mean really lift, deads, squats, presses, etc), you'll likely feel best getting more energy from carbs than fat. Just make sure you get enough of each. I do fattier days when I rest, carbier days when I work out, but that's what I naturally crave. I find the more active I am, the more carbs I want and the less fat. YMMV. Keep trying til you hit that perfect feeling, but I promise you you're doing the opposite of what you should be doing right now in terms of macros!

Your food choices are excellent, just break them up with some starch and natural sugar.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

And I'm low-carb because in the past year, I've had to give up running (because of a knee injury), and I've been really worried that with my reduced exercise I'll gain weight. I tried to adjust by diet to VLC to relieve my anxiety about my reduced exercise.
      That's ringin alarm bells everywhere,
      Healthy body Healthy mind is rule #1 and until this is satisfied everything else is irrelevent.
      Mirrors and scales are the drivers of poor health.

Present your body with all the good primal foods and let your body choose and find it's balance, any arbitrary rulings and numbers you apply and enforce like a penal code as the formula of primal perfection & weight loss is not primal anyway, just another fad diet.

Some people go well with low carb, some high carb, some more meat, some more veg, you won't find your place if you blinker yourself with too many rules.
      "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Dr. Harris over at Archevore eats puffed rice cereal (no, not Rice Krispies, but plain puffed rice) for breakfast many mornings. how does this sound as a way to get extra carbs?

Comment

I have never tried puffed rice personally. What is wrong with grabbing some fruit? It would not only have simple sugars but also nutrients and fiber.

I also agree with Derpamix on the carb range. 150-200g of carbs sounds good. I am 5'10 160-165 and I normally get that exact range of carbs on a normal range. I used to run a lot like you (during my CW days), now I just do a lot of walking/hiking, one day of sprints, and 3 days of lifting.
          "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by Balance View Post
            I have never tried puffed rice personally. What is wrong with grabbing some fruit? It would not only have simple sugars but also nutrients and fiber.
            Yeah, that's probably a good idea. I'll have some tomorrow and see if it improves how I'm feeling. i adore bananas and plantains... are they legit by primal standards? I've heard mixed opinions

Comment

I love both bananas and plantains. Bananas are way more sweet compared to plantains. I will fry up some plantains in coconut oil and eat them like chips with some guacamole as a dip (this is a Carribean favorite). They are really yummy after a tough workout. I pretty much eat fruits at will and I never consciously limit them.

Like Choco mentioned. On rest days I eat a little more fat and less carbs and on workout days I add more carbs. But I normally never go below 100g of carbs even on rest days. I personally never had a problem with weight pre or during my shift in diets from SAD to whole foods. But my dad on the other hand has wrecked his metabolism and is probably hypo going sub 50g of carbs for many years (He was an Atkins guy for many years). He can't seem to lose weight no matter what he does.
              Last edited by Balance; 02-22-2013, 11:06 PM.

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by Balance View Post
                I love both bananas and plantains. Bananas are way more sweet compared to plantains. I will fry up some plantains in coconut oil and eat them like chips with some guacamole as a dip. They are really yummy after a tough workout.

Like Choco mentioned. On rest days I eat a little more fat and less carbs and on workout days I add more carbs. But I normally never go below 100g of carbs even on rest days. I personally never had a problem with weight pre or during my shift in diets from SAD to whole foods. But my dad on the other hand has wrecked his metabolism and is probably hypo going sub 50g of carbs for many years (He was an Atkins guy for many years). He can't seem to lose weight no matter what he does.
                wow, going sub-50g of carbs wrecked his metabolism? or he needs to go sub-50g BECAUSE his metabolism is wrecked?

Comment

I probably average more like 150-200g. If I workout it's not unlikely that I polish off 250-300g in a sitting.
                  wow, going sub-50g of carbs wrecked his metabolism? or he needs to go sub-50g BECAUSE his metabolism is wrecked?
                  Chronic low carbohydrate is rough on your thyroid and adrenals. Many people in the LC camp will deny it to their grave even as their hair thins. Just eat real food.
                  Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                    I probably average more like 150-200g. If I workout it's not unlikely that I polish off 250-300g in a sitting.

Chronic low carbohydrate is rough on your thyroid and adrenals. Many people in the LC camp will deny it to their grave even as their hair thins. Just eat real food.
                    It's interesting what you learn when you venture outside the die-hard "fat-is-everything" realm... thanks for all the advice.

Comment

I am pretty much in complete agreement with Choco. I am normally in the 150-200g range. But on certain occassions I will go over 200 easily. On the few occassions when I was sub 100 for a prolonged period I would feel crappy, anxious, and cold. 150-200g is pretty ideal for me right now. I think therapeutically going LC might help for short periods of time but I find a lot of people tend to run into problems long term.

Comment

I am so sick of reading this. How does being LC automatically mean you don't eat real food? I DO eat real food and I am LC.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                          I am so sick of reading this. How does being LC automatically mean you don't eat real food? I DO eat real food and I am LC.

He didn't say you don't eat real food.

He's just basically saying "eat real food, regardless of it's macronutrient content. If you want eggs, eat some eggs, if you want potatoes, eat potatoes. Stop worrying about the protein/carb/fat ratio in a food and just eat it.
                          Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                          https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                          MFP Food Diary:
                          http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                          (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Well excuse me if I read it wrong, but that is how I read it. Chaco if I was wrong, I apologise.
                            But he does make reference to LC and thinning hair.

Comment

Choco, do you think it is important to keep blood sugar in a normal range? If chronic low carb is hard on thyroid and adrenals, what are the consequences of chronic high blood sugar? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                                But he does make reference to LC and thinning hair.
                                I bet he's making it all up because he just hates fat eaters.

Oh wait.
                                Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

Working...
                                X