Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking for the week results / suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking for the week results / suggestions?

I had a great idea this weekend when my girlfriend and I had nothing to do on Sunday: we pooled our money and picked 3 entrees -- primalcotti, meatza and taco salad -- and cooked huge batches of them and packaged the leftovers for the week. Now every night when I get home from work, I've got a packaged primal dinner ready to rock.

Our recipes:
    Primalcotti: we loosely followed this recipe, but used it mostly for the crepes and added a TON of ground grass-fed beef: http://low--carb--recipe.blogspot.co...ti-recipe.html

Meatza: we followed this recipe for the crust, then topped with mozz, parm, kalamatas, ham cubes and onions: http://www.justinowings.com/b/index..../meatza-meatza

Taco Salad: we made oven roasted tomatillo lime salsa, seasoned some ground beef and chopped some lettuce/cilantro/red onion and are ripening some TJ avocados for easy assembly of a BAS.

Any suggestions of good refrigerator foods that could be made a few days in advance for next Sunday?

There was another thread on this recently -- anyone remember what it was called?

My additions included:

Beef/pork/chicken stew
    Primal chili
    Garlic pulled pork (recipe from the cookbook contest)
    Spaghetti sauce (no noodles, obviously, but lots of sausage and ground beef)
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Yup- here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...g-for-the-Week

I stole your carne asada recipe from that thread, barbeygirl. It was DELISH.

Comment

Originally posted by DiabetesCanKissMyButt View Post
        I stole your carne asada recipe from that thread, barbeygirl. It was DELISH.
        Awesome -- glad you liked it!
        Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Comment

I cook a crockpot full of chili early in the week and then eat it over the whole week. I've some on at home now.
          A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

i'll second the crock pot tip - every sunday, i throw in 5-6 lbs of roast or whatever's on sale at the store, just a few bits of onion, seasonings, and water, and let it cook all day. that way, you can switch up what you eat with it - whether its a BAS or any other side veggies.
            sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Meatza's great, but a bit expensive. I find you don't need the parmezan cheese in the base, but adding a little cheddar and it's still really tasty. For any UK Grokkers, try using Gordon Ramsey's pasta sauces. The one I used was low carb, little/no additives and tasted great on the meatza, one jar made two meatzas. Yum.

Buy a cheap crockpot and make a roast/chilli/curry that will give 5/6 portions, I have that a lot for dinner but you can leave it in the fridge for the next day and eat a BAS with some fish or something. It's really flexible.

My primal curry:

Cut around 3-5 chicken breasts (3 if you are using fillers like nuts) into small chunks and mix in some curry paste (the hotter the better as the cream cancels out some of the spice)
              Throw in some onions and lazy garlic and lazy chilli peppers. Salt and Pepper are great, mab
              Two small tubs of heavy full fat cream or coconut milk, (or a mixture of the two, c milk is dear)
              Add some nuts, cashew are my favourite, but almonds work great too.
              Fire it on for 3-6 hours.

Prep time around 10 minutes.

Makes about 4/5 bowls of curry for me.

PS Sometimes I chuck in some frozen veg (I'm a poor student). Makes it easy to prep a meal that you can take to work/uni, and easy to heat up after the gym or if you're in a rush!

Comment

I love doing chili, i usually make 2 weeks worth and put it in the freezer in serving sized containers, put it on the counter the night before and by lunch it's thawed enough for an easy reheat.
                I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

I love all these ideas but am curious about the chili mentioned. What do you sub for the beans???

Comment

Originally posted by chickprimal View Post
                    I love all these ideas but am curious about the chili mentioned. What do you sub for the beans???
                    Yes, I am interested also! I love Chili.
                    Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Comment

Roasting a chicken or two, or a turkey, will give you a lot of meat to work with. You can turn it into soups, salads, etc later to have something different, and freeze whatever you won't use in time.

chickprimal, I just use more meat in place of the beans. My chili is mostly meat (ground beef or cubed chuck), with lots of onions and bell peppers and tomatoes, and garlic and spices.
                      "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

yep, just omit the beans. There is a recipe on here for a really good chili. It has beer as an ingredient though which I also omit.

Comment

I found recently that zuchinni was really good in chili. I add it toward the end of the cooking process so it doesn't get super soft. I will also vote for stews, and other "one pot" type things that can be easily parsed out into containers.

Comment

Originally posted by chickprimal View Post
                            More meat.

Comment

I bake a spaghetti squash and have a bowl of "noodles" in the fridge for meals through the week.
                              (I make a "fake" Thai bowl - think noodles, spinach, a meat, some other veggies - it is a great way to get rid of leftovers)
                              you can use it for traditional spaghetti....
                              you can make a soup with it....kind of like ramen
                              I also like it with olive oil, roasted garlic and basil, maybe some sun-dried tomatoes (sparingly - a little goes a long way)

Comment

Working...
                              X