Help me figure this digestive mystery. Warning…TMI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me figure this digestive mystery. Warning…TMI

I’ve posted on this before but I am probably the few folks out there that actually have a problem going #2 since going Paleo/Primal. At first, it was great! Probably because of the sudden increase in fat after having gone from little fat to 100g fat! However, since then I’ve...adjusted? and had to rely on physillium, fiber pills, and digestive enzymes to help me go…

What I DID notice was that when I have the occasional granola or buckwheat pancake for brunch or while on vacation, I have absolutely no problem going! What gives?

Isn’t it bad to rely on enzymes/betaine forever? If I decide to get things checked out by a doc what types of checks can s/he do to pinpoint the problem here to help things get moving along?

Thanks!

Have you read all the information helpfully put on his website by the crazy Russian?

He says that psyllium, high fiber, etc., are an addiction and it's hard to get the system working right without a careful protocol to stop using them as a crutch.

More than you ever wanted to know about poo. Matters have gone better for me since reading his website and his book "Fiber Menace."

http://www.gutsense.org/

Some of what he says about grains, fruits, and vegetables fits in pretty well with Primal ideas.

Comment

I remember reading that fiber seems to promote intestinal motility in part due to mechanical damage to the gut's wall. This friction would stimulate the production of mucus and improve peristalsis.
      “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
      "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

Are you eating enough greens? Cause seriously, I have the opposite issue at times when I eat far to much of the green stuff.
        SW: 235
        CW:220
        Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
        Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
        Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
        Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll have to check out that website!

@ elorajade: I think I am eating enough greens. Sometimes I eat two BAS a day. One for lunch and one for dinner! Other days it's steamed cabbage with my protein.

Maybe I should switch it up to broccoli?

Comment

If you are eating dairy, please stop for a few days/weeks to see if that helps. I was on PB for about 5 weeks (and oh-so-constipated) before seriously cutting back on dairy, and it's made a world of difference! I still get a splash of cream, a pat of butter, or a bit of super-dark chocolate, but no more yogurt and cheese for me!
            "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -- Virginia Woolf

Comment

Nope! Not eating ANY dairy at all. I don't even use butter at home, but instead use a lot of EVOO or CO.

I think I will seriously try to up the veggies even more. Maybe switching the *type* of veggies will be effective. For example, organic salad greens are probably less "dense" than say broccoli...right?

Comment

Oh! I do remember when I first started eating super dark chocolate my system definitely responded. Unfortunately I think my system also adapted far too well

Comment

Same problem - no dairy, either...though I had issues before, also.

I think I may need to drink more water... also, I drink Lacy Le Beau tea... which is kind of overkill... but does the job and gets things moving again.

Comment

@fit4lifegal: I just googled and isn't Senna basically a laxative? Do you take it everyday?

Comment

In this area I've been wondering about "Diatomacious Earth" or DE. Which is ground up powder from microscopic algae fossils (diatoms). People who take it rave about the increased regularity, drop in blood pressure, more energy, increased rate of hair and nail growth, death to all internal parasites, the list goes on. The little edges of the granules are as you might imagine, sharp, and they are said to remove junk/excess mucous from the walls of the intestine. Some people have taken a couple tablespoons of it a day for many years with no ill effects, only positive. But I wonder about those little sharp edges and if they could irritate the intestine, once the coating of mucous is gone. Or if maybe too much silica from the DE might be absorbed into the bloodstream. Anyone have any thoughts on this as a dietary additive? (Oh, you can also use it to kill bugs/fleas in your house as the sharp edges of the particles scratch the exoskeleton of bugs and they dehydrate and die.)
                      I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Comment

hmm that kind of sounds a bit.....scary? But I'm no expert on DE and could probably use some more education on the topic. Which reminds me.. I wonder if Kelp powder would help? Wouldn't this be much better than any type of fiber pill?

Comment

Originally posted by Canarygirl View Post
                          (Oh, you can also use it to kill bugs/fleas in your house as the sharp edges of the particles scratch the exoskeleton of bugs and they dehydrate and die.)
                          HAHAHA!!! WHAT THE HELL!?!
                          That is terrifying!

-写
                          Little Saiyan

Comment

I have a similar problem. Tons of veggies are no help. I also take magnesium, and currently a probiotic--nothing seems to help. I've begun adding psyllium powder to things, and that has resulted in some "movement."

I should add that some people may have more difficulty than others--e.g., twice when I've had a colonoscopy, the usual system for cleaning out prior to the test didn't work well for me--the doctor has to give me 'super duper powerful' stuff.

My GI recommends fiber, and that's why I'm using the psyllium. I don't trust the 'crazy Russian' because he's selling his own concoction and has a vested interest in dissing fiber.

Before I gave up grains completely (about a year ago), I used to eat 3-4 bran crackers daily and that helped a lot. However, I'm hypothyroid and I suspect a little sensitive to gluten, and I'm afraid to use these because they may be 'helping' by injuring my intestinal walls, rather than just stimulating movement.

The only problem I have with the psyllium is that it cannot be taken within 2 hrs. of Rx meds, and I take my thyroid meds 3x a day, which puts me on a schedule of constantly balancing things that becomes impossible at times.

I welcome any suggestions.

Comment

are you getting lots of slow exercise? core work helps me move things along.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X