No announcement yet.

Do you use protein shakes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing for me is that I have a relatively weak stomach when it comes to working out, so I need to have something that absorbs fast prior to the workout, or whatever I have won't be with me for long. I think it works great as a suppliment to actual food, but not a main source of protein.

Comment

I've started making them when I don't have a lot of time for a meal, but one thing that I think helps is that I add some coconut milk (really the creamy stuff that separates in the can). This ensures that I get some healthy medium chain fats for energy along with that punch of protein. I also eat in a restricted window most days, so it's hard to get enough protein when I only have one meal a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
        No. I see no need for them unless you're a weight lifter who's obsessed with bulking up and getting your protein nownownowNOW after a workout. I get sufficient protein through my food, and its a hell of a lot more enjoyable gnawing on a shank of pork than to drink a flavored chemical shake.
        Seems like a lot of misconceptions floating around this thread. Firstly, it's easy to find pure whey protein that doesn't have chemicals in it if you look past the major bodybuilding stuff. Secondly, protein shakes aren't what help you bulk up - a shitload of calories of which protein is a part does that. For any competitive athlete whey is a godsend, it isn't just for bodybuilders. I notice a huge difference in my recovery the next morning after comp training at judo if I throw a protein/carb shake straight down once we bow off the mat. When I don't bother with the shake and instead eat dinner a half an hour ish later, I generally wake up feeling like a truck has hit me.

No one is saying you should replace meals with protein shakes. They are supplements people.

It says on that site :

"Research indicates that approximately 40% of the protein in high biological foods such as whole eggs, meat, fish, poultry is used by the body for anabolic purposes. Only about 20% of that found in low biological food such as whey, soy, egg whites, beans and nuts is used for growth and repair."

To which research is he referring?
        I'm curious too. So egg yolks are "high biological" and egg whites are "low biological". Hmmm, I call bullshit.
        http://realcareerguidance.com

Comment

No. I tend not to drink calories of any description.
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by judoka View Post
            Seems like a lot of misconceptions floating around this thread. Firstly, it's easy to find pure whey protein that doesn't have chemicals in it if you look past the major bodybuilding stuff. Secondly, protein shakes aren't what help you bulk up - a shitload of calories of which protein is a part does that. For any competitive athlete whey is a godsend, it isn't just for bodybuilders. I notice a huge difference in my recovery the next morning after comp training at judo if I throw a protein/carb shake straight down once we bow off the mat. When I don't bother with the shake and instead eat dinner a half an hour ish later, I generally wake up feeling like a truck has hit me.

No one is saying you should replace meals with protein shakes. They are supplements people.
            I agree with this. I will have a protein shake maybe once a week after a tough workout. Whey is the most bioavailabe protein source partly because it has one of the best net absorption rates. I agree that we should consume whole foods more so than liquid sources but whey protein used as a supplement can be very advantageous in certain situations.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/51...-whey-protein/
            Last edited by Balance; 02-21-2013, 12:10 AM.
            "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by Toshison View Post
              Is the O.N Gold Standard Whey you buy imported from the U.S? If so, thats kind of funny to me since where I am (in Canada), the purest, cleanest Whey protein comes from New Zealand (that is of course if the marketing is true) since New Zealand has very strict regulations with their dairy industry. All New Zealand Whey comes from grass-fed, antibiotic-free cows.

I buy my protein from CanadianProtein.ca and they sell New Zealand grass-fed Whey and I have to say that the protein I get from this site is vastly superior to Optimum Nutritions. Mixability, taste, affordability and flavour (for the flavoured options) are better.
              Haha yes well the cows in my backyard can attest to the fact that all cows are grass-fed here... There's so much land. I wonder if we should put humans in a paddock and grassfeed them too. I'm not sure if all NZ cows would be antibiotic free though... I grew up on a dairy farm. I remember treating cows for various things, I assume they wouldn't hesitate to use antibiotics if the cow was sick. Or does it mean something else?

It's actually funny because I don't see anything here in NZ labelled as NZ whey, but I'm probably not looking. Fonterra, NZs biggest dairy company, does package pure whey isolates up in 20kg bags. I should ask my friend who works there if they will actually sell it to me like that hahaha.

Now you've got me wondering about it. To be honest they probably do export large amounts of it because they can get more money for it. Happens a bit here, with the meat too... all you primal folk overseas willing to pay top dollar for it makes them less willing to sell it to locals hahaha.
              Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
              Bench: 45kg/99lb
              Squat: 100kg/220lb
              Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
              My journal

Comment

I used to add a scoop of whey (usually 30g protein) to 1/4 can coconut milk, have that 2-3 times a week after workouts.

Comment

No.

My husband used to use them back in the day -- but he hasn't had a protein shake in about 9 or more years (I can't quite remember). He lifts heavy (doesn't train MMA or anything), so he is active/hard working/muscle building.

I never used them, largely because I think they taste like crap.

Comment

I like a smoothie. I need variety in my primal diet to keep myself excited about my eating and the occasional smoothie helps with that. I usually add a scoop of no-sugar, pretty clean egg white protein powder because protein beats no protein. I don't rely on them for nutrition and make a point to not have more than a few a week. Because yeah, food is always best and it's probably not psychologically healthy to "trick" myself into thinking I'm having a milkshake. But I know I could do worse because I often have.

Comment

Before going paleo I was having Sun Warrior rice protein in milk, and was putting on muscle AND waist fat.

Threw it in the trash. Now just a slab of meat with the fat/skin still on it...cooked in butter. Getting much stronger and leaner.

Comment

Originally posted by hunteark1
                        I agree that a lot of tasty farm and wild animals are cute, but I still eat them
                        lol
                        "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by Toshison View Post
                          Where did you get these numbers? Cuz I think they are wrong.

Whey Protein in general is pretty much the go-to powdered protein source and it has a superior bioavailability score to beef. High grade Whey Protein Isolate sources score nearly double in BV to beef.

The Food Guru: Protein Bioavailability List
                          Bioavailability Of Whey Protein | LIVESTRONG.COM
                          Not that I don't trust the random blogger or article writers over at livestrong..

Here is another source of very similar (yet worse numbers for protein powder) from folks who work with high level athletes.
                          MAP vs. Dietary Proteins & Protein Supplements

Comment

I use them occasionally as a meal replacement when I don't have many other options. I mix with a whole can of coconut milk and coffee. I could go all day on a can of coconut milk and protein if I had to - energy all day!

Its really the last place I could clean up my diet, but I drink them rarely, and don't worry about it too much.
                            "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

Working...
                            X