Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

31, female, started PB 233lbs, need help with macros and calorie intake.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Hi!
    I have no advice, just sympathies. I'm in the same boat, except no thyroid problem (that I know of). I'm down roughly 15 pounds in 10 months. Because all of my gain came from pregnancy, I did gain rapidly in a short period of time. My baby is 13 months, I've got roughly 20 more pounds of weight to lose, haven't lost since September and don't fit in my prepregnancy jeans :/
    I definitely think you should stay low carb while pregnant. I've done vlc (like under 20) for trials to get the weight off but I missed veggies! I've done trials without nuts and dairy. I just started working out- lifting and running- so I hope this helps. Hugs.

    Comment


    • #47
      Thanks gonna drop back to 1400 this week, then if I don't see a difference 1300 and so on. I really don't want to eat under 1200 cals a day but because of my unique circumstances that's something I may have to think about.
      Veronica
      High weight: 263.8 lbs
      Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
      ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
      Current weight: 177.6 lbs
      Goal: 145 lbs

      Comment


      • #48
        Thanks! Hang in there too I hope the added exercise gets the weight moving!
        Veronica
        High weight: 263.8 lbs
        Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
        ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
        Current weight: 177.6 lbs
        Goal: 145 lbs

        Comment


        • #49
          I created a 300-400 cal deficit in order to lose a pound a week. I didn't plan it that way. I just knew that I needed to eat
          <1000 cal a day in order to lose, and I was averaging about 900 cal (cycling). Keep in mind that I am post-menopausal and hypo, hence the low calories. I wasn't hungry, just as I'm never hungry now in maintenance at about 1200 cal, but my 'head' wants to feed my body more than it wants or needs. I may have wanted to lose faster, but I could not comfortably lower calories further.

          By the way, I'm sure you know that when you're pregnant, you'll need to be followed closely by your endo (or whoever manages your thyroid)? I'm not sure whether this is true for someone like you without a thyroid, but it's important for hypothyroids, so I'm assuming it's true for anyone who takes Rx thyroid hormones. The hormonal surges of pregnancy require close monitoring, and usually the OB and endo work closely together.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by vlo1125 View Post
            Thanks gonna drop back to 1400 this week, then if I don't see a difference 1300 and so on. I really don't want to eat under 1200 cals a day but because of my unique circumstances that's something I may have to think about.
            Magnolia1973 has lived with thyroid problems, I never have. You take a replacement medication, I don't know if she does. You have to include these factors into which advice to take. When I hit a platform, I dropped my caloric intake for at least a week and then went back to 1200. But I hope this doesn't cause your body problems.
            "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Cryptocode View Post
              Standard PB is 65-70% fat, 20% protein, 10-15% carbs. What are you numbers in %s?
              I missed this. where is this outlined?

              Comment


              • #52
                Just wanted to chime in about pregnancy and primal eating. I didn't stick to primal during the first half of my pregnancy b/c I had an aversion to meat and wanted crap. Welp, I developed gestational diabetes so ate primal again. I stuck to low carbing it and my daughter is totally fine and healthy.
                I was 195lbs when I got pregnant, I gained 15lbs and after all of the swelling went away, I was 193 after.
                If you fall pregnant and stick with primal, you may actually lose weight even if the scale goes up.

                Anywho, as someone else suggested, I would recommend a strict 30 days as well. Eliminate dairy, chocolate etc. Could be something as simple as the dairy preventing you from losing. Just have to try it out and see

                Maybe you could start taking measurements as well? The scale might not be moving but your body could still be changing and slimming up.
                DD born August 2012
                TTC #2
                SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
                CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
                Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
                Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

                My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by KarenD'A View Post
                  I missed this. where is this outlined?
                  In the book "The Primal Blueprint".
                  "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by emmie View Post
                    I created a 300-400 cal deficit in order to lose a pound a week. I didn't plan it that way. I just knew that I needed to eat
                    <1000 cal a day in order to lose, and I was averaging about 900 cal (cycling). Keep in mind that I am post-menopausal and hypo, hence the low calories. I wasn't hungry, just as I'm never hungry now in maintenance at about 1200 cal, but my 'head' wants to feed my body more than it wants or needs. I may have wanted to lose faster, but I could not comfortably lower calories further.

                    By the way, I'm sure you know that when you're pregnant, you'll need to be followed closely by your endo (or whoever manages your thyroid)? I'm not sure whether this is true for someone like you without a thyroid, but it's important for hypothyroids, so I'm assuming it's true for anyone who takes Rx thyroid hormones. The hormonal surges of pregnancy require close monitoring, and usually the OB and endo work closely together.
                    Both my endo and OB know of my plans to concieve( was actually the reason I had a thyroidectomy in the first place) and are ready to make me a human pin cushion we were supposed to start trying this month but I just didnt feel right with starting cytomel and with no weight loss. I honestly only wanted to get to 215 before getting pregnant and thought I'd already be there by now. Though it'd obviously be better for me to wait till I've lost all the weight, I've been putting off having a 2nd child because of my disease(graves) for almost 3 years and we want to move on with our family and lives. Sorry got off topic!

                    Wow 900 cals is low but like you said it's what you needed due to your issues. I need to do the same and figure out how much of a deficit I need in order To lose 1 lb a week, I'm hoping I don't have to go under 1200 but will if I need to.
                    Veronica
                    High weight: 263.8 lbs
                    Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
                    ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
                    Current weight: 177.6 lbs
                    Goal: 145 lbs

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by LisaLS View Post
                      Just wanted to chime in about pregnancy and primal eating. I didn't stick to primal during the first half of my pregnancy b/c I had an aversion to meat and wanted crap. Welp, I developed gestational diabetes so ate primal again. I stuck to low carbing it and my daughter is totally fine and healthy.
                      I was 195lbs when I got pregnant, I gained 15lbs and after all of the swelling went away, I was 193 after.
                      If you fall pregnant and stick with primal, you may actually lose weight even if the scale goes up.

                      Anywho, as someone else suggested, I would recommend a strict 30 days as well. Eliminate dairy, chocolate etc. Could be something as simple as the dairy preventing you from losing. Just have to try it out and see

                      Maybe you could start taking measurements as well? The scale might not be moving but your body could still be changing and slimming up.
                      Wow did the GD go away after you started eating primal again or did you have it for the duration of your pregnancy? I totally plan on sticking to plan but I know how it can be when the thought of something make you want to wretch.

                      I haven't measured myself though I've been meaning to, and again want to avoid the whole30 because I would cry if dairy was the problem! Lol! It's not even that I eat it all that much( I do have HWC in my morning coffee that I added back in when eliminating it did nothing) but I like having the option. Gonna try cutting calories first then a whole30 as a last resort.

                      It tried to cut to 1400 today and ended up at 1800, clearly I've gotten used to the last few weeks and its gonna be hard to go back down!
                      Veronica
                      High weight: 263.8 lbs
                      Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
                      ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
                      Current weight: 177.6 lbs
                      Goal: 145 lbs

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        vlo1125-

                        I hate to mention my calorie level because it IS so low--but keep in mind that you are 40 years younger than I am, and I also have a lifelong metabolic dysfunction. I only use myself as an example because I believe that everyone has to find his/her own true caloric level to lose. Rarely will anyone have to go as low as I do.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by vlo1125 View Post
                          I started PB 1/26/13 5'4 at 233 lbs. my first week i lost 5.2 lbs , my 2nd 2.2lbs, so i now weigh 225lbs. but for the last 10 days ive shown no progress, the scale will yoyo .6 lbs in either direction. i know 10 days isnít much of a plateau but ive gotten a couple people to jump on the PB bandwagon and all seem to be losing more rapidly in the first month than i am. My husband (start weight 257) has lost 14.4 lbs in 2 weeks, a friend (start weight 210) has lost 13.8lbs also in 2 weeks. i did have a thyroidectomy nearly 2 months ago but i am on synthyroid 150mg daily. Coincidentally my mother (start weight 220) who introduced me to PB is also on synthyroid 150mg ( though she still has her thyroid its just hypo)and has lost 18lbs in her first month of PB. so while id like to blame my slower results on my lack of thyroid i just look at my mom who is 20 years older and on the same dose of meds and think thats not the case.

                          at 225lbs and only 24 days into my primal experience i dont think i should be plateauing?! i am going to get my labs done today to check how my thyroid levels are doing but i think they should be fine(heck they might even lower my dose and then Iíd be in real trouble!)

                          Iíve been eating about 1300-1600 cals a day (on average in the 1550's), fat: 100 gm, Protein: 79 gm, Carb: 50 gm. sometimes i go a little high on fat or protein but the carbs i sometimes struggle to hit 50gm. Iím 100% primal since day one, purging my house of anything with grains and sugars and vegetable oils, i even gave up my beloved coffee. i donít do grass fed beef but i try to buy organic when i can.

                          Exercise: walk for 45-60 mins 2 times a week. zumba for 30 mins 2-3 times a week.

                          So should i lower my calories? Are my macros wrong? Change my exercise? i know if i go by mark's suggested 1-2 lbs a week that i am right on track but for someone who started obese i think a bigger loss is usually normal the first month.
                          I wouldn't do anything different right now. You are doing really well and have a great plan. Let your body get used to it. And never compare your weight loss to anyone else's, especially a man. Stay the course!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X