Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diet soda

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I don't drink soda much in the first place, mostly in the summer when it's hot, but I don't feel better or worse after stopping. Granted, I'm not addicted to the stuff and don't really like soda much in the first place.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

    "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

    Comment


    • #17
      For the first 25 or so years of my life no soda drinks were available at all. Cola was an urban legend, nothing more, nobody had seen or used it. We did have carbinated water with syrop. Too expensive to use regularly. But those few who did - had very bad teeth. After we got exposed to the more sophisticated soda drinks and sugary treats like Mars bars, Snickers, etc. the fat epidemic started. I never really related sodas to my gemeral well being (except that I did understand that so much sugar, as the regular sodas have, can't be good) but after I stopped using them after 20+ years, I do feel much better. Now I drink water (70%) , coffe (25%) and red wine (5%). Champagne occassionaly. Way better and tastier than any diet soda ever has been. Before I did not know that water has different taste depending on the source.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
        Personally I have been drinking diet soda on and off for the last thirthy years or so, but in the later years I have upped my consume and I feel better than ever, so I think it maybe have some positive health benefits! Remember Asparstame is a synthesis between two natural amino acids and the breakdown in our bodies goes back to those natural amino acids so it is absurd that this should be unhealthy whatsoever. So personally I play the wager that aparstame is very healthy indeed and that all that think it's bad are wrong! So perhaps it will turn out that I will live by good health until I am 150 years of age and the rest of you to 90 or 100 years only because you didn't use the oportunity of ingesting enough aspartame in your bodies?
        I think you should up your intake, maybe double or triple, as much as you can put down.

        For the OP, if it's Diet, Low fat, decaffenated, fortified and all the other varients, it wasn't food to begin with, just dogs#it with stuff added to make it palatable.
        So no, dump the diet soda.
        "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

        Comment


        • #19
          Soda wasn't a biggy in our house growing up. I thought Coke was a bit too sweet, so I never drank a lot of it. Then as a body conscious 20something year old, I read that all 150 calories came from sugar and I didn't need a doctor to know that couldn't be healthy. Tried diet, but that was back when saccharine was the 0 cal sweetener, and the taste sucked. Probably didn't drink soda again for over 10 years. Equal came into being. Liked Crystal Lite. Drank too much of that - although I don't think I ever reached the equivalent of a 6pack or 12pack of soda. Phased that out in favor of water or unsweetened tea.

          I also have a thing about drinking from containers when I can't see the contents, and I can taste plastic. Just no appeal. Probably anything to excess will cause some less than positive reaction.

          A 6pack/day. $3 per day? $90 a month? Almost $1100/yr (a really good gym membership). Over $30,000 in thirty years. Just not my choice of where to throw money. I feel the same way about the daily consumption of $5 coffee drinks. No judgement, it's just not my habit.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

          B*tch-lite

          Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
            Personally I have been drinking diet soda on and off for the last thirthy years or so, but in the later years I have upped my consume and I feel better than ever, so I think it maybe have some positive health benefits! Remember Asparstame is a synthesis between two natural amino acids and the breakdown in our bodies goes back to those natural amino acids so it is absurd that this should be unhealthy whatsoever. So personally I play the wager that aparstame is very healthy indeed and that all that think it's bad are wrong! So perhaps it will turn out that I will live by good health until I am 150 years of age and the rest of you to 90 or 100 years only because you didn't use the oportunity of ingesting enough aspartame in your bodies?
            Originally posted by Omni View Post
            I think you should up your intake, maybe double or triple, as much as you can put down.
            If you advertise yourself to the big soda guys, maybe you, too, can become famous as the epitome of masculinity, all due to the wonderful life-extending properties of the carbonated bubbly fountain of youth. You know, just like the Marlboro Man!
            I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
              If you advertise yourself to the big soda guys, maybe you, too, can become famous as the epitome of masculinity, all due to the wonderful life-extending properties of the carbonated bubbly fountain of youth. You know, just like the Marlboro Man!
              No, he'd have to drink the sugar-sweetened stuff, otherwise he'd be the Marlboro Ultra Lights Man. Maybe even the Virginia Slims Man. What self-respecting dude drinks diet soda? Come on!
              The Champagne of Beards

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                If you advertise yourself to the big soda guys, maybe you, too, can become famous as the epitome of masculinity, all due to the wonderful life-extending properties of the carbonated bubbly fountain of youth. You know, just like the Marlboro Man!
                Well, we have known for a very long time that smoking is bad for our health so that's different - I learned that some forty years ago in school so nothing new about that! Aspartame on the other hand has been tested in countless scientific studies and meta-studies that show no indication that it may be unhealthy, so in worst case it is harmless. But, we still don't know whether it may positively promote longlivety or not, so maybe it turns out to extend the lives and promote health of those that has consumed it regularly over the years like me?
                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

                - Schopenhauer

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  What self-respecting dude drinks diet soda? Come on!
                  I do, with a splash of organic lime juice, right now in my office served by my smiling secretary...
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

                  - Schopenhauer

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    What self-respecting dude drinks diet soda? Come on!
                    oh come on...you had a case of diet TAB in your car last week...

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      So I have a question re: an earlier comment in the thread . . .

                      Even know there is "no" calories (bs btw) those chemicals still tell your body that there is sugar to process and responds as if. Also ( I dont recall the article) but seltzer water ie soda hits the gut and disrupts proper digestions and expedites fat storage. I dont know if its just the digestion process or if its some other mechanism but its useless for any wellness benefit
                      So seltzer water does bad things to you too? I moved my diet Pepsi habit over to seltzer water and thought that was pretty harmless. I drink regular water most of the time but like the fizzy with seltzer. How does it expedite fat storage?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Zanna View Post
                        So I have a question re: an earlier comment in the thread . . .



                        So seltzer water does bad things to you too? I moved my diet Pepsi habit over to seltzer water and thought that was pretty harmless. I drink regular water most of the time but like the fizzy with seltzer. How does it expedite fat storage?
                        Seltzer water is high in sodium and will retain water in your body and make you look fatter than you are. CokeZero is diuretic and help to get rid of surplus water and makes you leaner...
                        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

                        - Schopenhauer

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                          oh come on...you had a case of diet TAB in your car last week...
                          Yeah, but at least I drink it with a pink umbrella and a shot of cake-flavored vodka.
                          The Champagne of Beards

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                            Seltzer water is high in sodium and will retain water in your body and make you look fatter than you are. CokeZero is diuretic and help to get rid of surplus water and makes you leaner...
                            I've never seen seltzer water with any sodium (some club sodas have a tiny amount, but seltzers usually none at all, at least in the U.S.), and that has nothing to do with Zanna's question

                            Zanna - I've seen a lot of rumors about the bad effects of plain carbonated water, but none that are founded in anything remotely resembling logic or reason. It doesn't wither your bones or turn you to acid or make you store fat. It's just water with bubbles. Burping is the worst side effect.
                            The Champagne of Beards

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                              I've never seen seltzer water with any sodium (some club sodas have a tiny amount, but seltzers usually none at all, at least in the U.S.), and that has nothing to do with Zanna's question
                              Yep, you are right, I confused Seltzer with one of the sparkling mineralwaters we have here that are loaded with sodium...
                              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

                              - Schopenhauer

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Oh good - thanks for the clarification, RichMahogany. I can keep the several cases I bought on sale last week.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X