No announcement yet.

Do you use scales?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I use scales, but not as the main measuring device. Mostly out of interest, and I don't obsess over it!

Comment

I use both the scale and the measuring tape. As a previous poster stated, it is much easier to keep track of things and lose 2 lbs than 10. But I don't get obsessed, I stick to weekly weigh ins and bi weekly measuring. Always the same day, always the same time.

Comment

If it feels good, do it. If not, don't.

I weigh every morning because most of the time, it provides a bit of positive biofeedback. I don't worry about the days where my weight is a bit higher, as things tend to go down more than up.

The tape measure (or belt) is far less fickle and is probably a better measure.
        My blog: Regular Guy Paleo and please feel free to "like" my Facebook page.

Comment

I weight 2x/day everyday.

Have for my whole life. Kind of a leave over from when I competed in a weight class. Its quite individual. For me I can tell you what my weight is before setting foot. I'm just that much more in tune since I constantly track. However, its only one data point so don't lose site of the bigger picture.

Comment

When I was following the CW of weight-loss from 2008 through 2011, I'd weigh myself weekly... sometimes twice or three times a week if I wanted to. When I got down to my lowest weight (my goal weight at the time) I looked way, way too skinny. Despite that realization, I didn't ditch my scale until I found PB and decided to focus on body composition rather than weight.

I do weigh myself weekly now, but only because my office is doing a "Biggest Loser" competition; once that's over, I'll stop and go back to how I used to do it: only know my weight when I go to the doctor!

Last week I started using calipers to measure body fat percentage, so that is the only thing I'm tracking nowadays.
            >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
            >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
            >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

I weighed myself a few times a week while I was trying to lose weight.
              Now that I'm where I want to be, I go by how my clothes fit, and how I look in the mirror.

Comment

I weigh once a week, when I remember. Ipay more attention to the fit of my jeans. I am super excited that they fit comfortably on the first day of my cycle this month!

Comment

Yes. For my body and for my food.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by smalot View Post
                    Do you use scales to weigh yourself?
                    Yes, absolutely, several times a week. The Number isn't the only thing I pay attention too, but for sure I measure and track.

Comment

I just stopped weighing daily. I have also stopped tracking calories. Hopefully it's not a recipe for disaster! My plan is to weigh myself monthly and measure bi-monthly. After diligently tracking everything for 6 months, I feel I have a pretty good idea how much food I'm eating. And because I IF daily, I'm more at risk of eating too little than too much.

I'm free, finally free
                      Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Comment

Originally posted by PBNewby View Post
                        I step on a scale every morning. I'm incented by it. If I lose a bit of weight, it encourages me to lose more. If I gain a bit of weight, it lets me know I should perhaps eat a bit less today.
                        this. I weigh myself almost daily, and if I see that I've gained weight I have more incentive to eat less for the day.
                        Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                          Yes. For my body and for my food.
                          Lol, yes, and I love them both.
                          50yo, 5'3"
                          SW-195
                          CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                          GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Scales for body and food, too.

I weigh every day. It works for me. I obsess if I don't weigh. I have lost almost 75 lbs over the last two years. At the moment I am trying to make sure I maintain my loss. I have found that I can gain as much at 8-10 lbs before I notice it in my clothes. I need to weigh to see if I am starting to trend up so I can do something to head it off.

Comment

Since going primal almost a year ago, I only used a scale twice. I don't even keep a scale in the house, so I just do I when I'm at someone else's. Both times I found, that I lost a significant amount of weight, which was very motivational. (Even though I already knew that going by clothes and measurements.) I was actually thinking about getting a scale as a new means of measurement, since I can't go by clothes anymore. (They all fit now
                              However, I think if you truly want to see your progress, you're better off, taking pictures of yourself once a month or so. You'll see changes you couldn't possibly see by looking at a number.

Comment

Working...
                              X