1917 Diabetics Cookbook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1917 Diabetics Cookbook

Found this very interesting book written in 1917: "Diabetic Cookery; Recipes and Menus" by Rebecca W Oppenheimer, a very primal like diet from 90 years ago

Have a read here: http://www.archive.org/stream/diabet...ge/n7/mode/2up

Yeah my mother says I eat like a diabetic. Actually I eat like a diabetic from 100 years ago. Diabetics these days are encouraged to have lots of high-fiber cereal, mounds of fruit and vegetables and "healthy fats" like canola oil and peanuts. Because what good is stable blood sugar when you have heart disease from all of that nasty meat and butter?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Wow that is really cool!
      *Looks around*
      What have we done?

Sort of an interesting tidbit of the good old days before the government got involved in diet, like William Banting's letter on Corpulence.
      Last edited by ZoŽ; 04-11-2010, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Zoe whats the letter on corpulence?
        Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

That is so cool!! Almond flour, butter and eggs--which corporation decided to push those out of the healthy eating menu??

Comment

William Banting's Letter on Corpulence, from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Banting

"In 1863, Banting wrote a booklet called Letter on Corpulence, Addressed to the Public which contained the particular plan for the diet he followed. It was written in the form of an open letter in the form of a personal testimonial. Banting accounted all of his unsuccessful fasts, diets, spa and exercise regimes in his past, then described the dietary change which finally had worked for him, following the advice of a physician. His own diet was four meals per day, consisting of meat, greens, fruits, and dry wine. The emphasis was on avoiding sugar, saccharine matter, starch, beer, milk and butter."

Sadly, butter was thought to be a starch of some sort!

Comment

Thanks for posting this!
              A brilliant look back in history to see how things were sometimes better!
              M x

Comment

That was a point I particularly enjoyed in GCBC: that just 70 or 80 years ago, starches and sugars had been considered a uniquely fattening category of food for quite some time. Low-carb is by far the conservative option when it comes to diet.
                Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Comment

My Granny was a Type 2 diabetic and her Doctor always told her to eat a low carb diet. This was in the 60's and 70's I think.

Comment

I remember reading a book published in in the 1900's which was pretty much a Paleo / traditional diet, high fat, carbs just from veggies and limited amount of fruits. It's available on-line but I can't find the link at the moment. It kind of points to the fact Paleo/ low carb high fat isn't a new concept at all but just one that has been rediscovered.

Comment

"Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food." - Hippocrates, the father of medicine
                      sigpic
                      In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

There's also a book called "Graded Lessons in Physiology and Hygiene" that is now public domain and available on Google Books. I see a lot of wisdom in the book that has been lost. There's a section on what food to eat and most of it falls in line with Primal.

Comment

Here is the full text from "Letter on Corpulence" written 1869. He even charts his weight loss. It's pretty cool.
                          http://www.lowcarb.ca/corpulence/

Comment

What a great little book! Thanks for posting that. Interesting.

Aleuronat flour is: "Aleuronat is the gluten flour made from the aleuron layer of the wheat kernel. According to recent analysis, it is starch free, and contains eighty percent, of digestible proteids" from http://chestofbooks.com/health/nutri...Aleuronat.html .

Comment

Originally posted by Catalina View Post
                              which corporation decided to push those out of the healthy eating menu??
                              The United States Government!

Comment

Working...
                              X