Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good read for anyone in LCHF land or on a crash diet or both.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whitebear View Post
    Point being that in Groks days he/she was sure to go days sometimes without food and we are adapted to do the same and quite possibly without detriment.I believe it to be more likely to our benefit. Try to imagine having to hunt or gather for yourself every morsel that passes your lips.
    I got your point. Yes, humans can last a very long duration of time without food. Yes, Grok had to hunt and kill and gather his meals. Of course.
    Should we reenact that by fasting 3-5 days? Um, no. This is the kind of thought that gives Paleo/Primal a bad name. Eating in moderation - or short bouts of fasting - is good enough. We don't need to recreate Grok's situation. That's just silly. Interesting, but pointless.

p.s. condescend much?
    Didn't mean it to come out that way, but take it as you will. Fasting to 3-5 days just means a higher risk of LBM loss and slowed metabolism. Not worth it, IMO.

Btw, I've been pig hunting - no food for two days. That was long enough for me.
    Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
    https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
    MFP Food Diary:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
    (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Originally posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
      I got your point. Yes, humans can last a very long duration of time without food. Yes, Grok had to hunt and kill and gather his meals. Of course.
      Should we reenact that by fasting 3-5 days? Um, no. This is the kind of thought that gives Paleo/Primal a bad name. Eating in moderation - or short bouts of fasting - is good enough. We don't need to recreate Grok's situation. That's just silly. Interesting, but pointless.

Didn't mean it to come out that way, but take it as you will. Fasting to 3-5 days just means a higher risk of LBM loss and slowed metabolism. Not worth it, IMO.

Btw, I've been pig hunting - no food for two days. That was long enough for me.
      lol 3-5 days is a short fast. Why exactly would this give primal/paleo a bad name when it is a perfectly healthy suggestion? No reason to lose LBM if you eat enough on feeding days. I'm not suggesting fasting that long between every feeding either.
      Last edited by whitebear; 02-18-2013, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zizou View Post
        So what are you eating nowadays and how do you generally feel?
        Milk, cheese, fruit, liver once a week, oysters every 2-3 days, potatoes with salt and honey, fruit juices, ice cream, coffee, mexican coca cola. I don't like to spend much money on food, so I try to stick to whatever is cheapest. Milk, and cheese, even organic, thanks to living literally one block away from Trader Joe's is much cheaper than organic meat, and a lot tastier, to me.

I feel great(having a harder time saying this now since I've come down with the flu or something), but yeah.

I was all set for a huge group hug and then this ^............... Gwamma has got some seriously twitchy fingers just itching to smack someones bottom...........................however thats not allowed etc....... so I will have to keep my digits to myself - BUGGAR
        eeep

Going to turn a blind eye to the fasting topic, because it angers me.
        Make America Great Again

Comment

lol 3-5 days is a short fast. Why exactly would this give primal/paleo a bad name when it is a perfectly healthy suggestion? No reason to lose LBM if you eat enough on feeding days. I'm not suggesting fasting that long between every feeding either.
          I think what Kiwi MEANS to say is that, whilst it's perfectly natural and possible to fast for extended periods of time, what is OPTIMAL depends on individual circumstances.
          An analogy: Masai, Jain and Inuit diets are all naturally occurring tribal diets which humans can follow long-term. All can sustain the human body and none, when done correctly, will impair your ability to live a full, natural life, have many kids and be healthy. However, depending on the person's genes, the food available and the type of exercise they do, one of those diets will be OPTIMAL. Likewise, whilst some human tribes don't fast at all, some fast frequently for short periods and some go for a week or more without more than a few nuts and leaves, what is optimal depends on the individual's situation.

So, yes, Kiwi and I COULD fast for a week or more with no ill-effect, but, from the sound of it, it isn't optimal for either of us.
          --
          Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
          I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
          I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Kochin View Post
            I think what Kiwi MEANS to say is that, whilst it's perfectly natural and possible to fast for extended periods of time, what is OPTIMAL depends on individual circumstances.
            An analogy: Masai, Jain and Inuit diets are all naturally occurring tribal diets which humans can follow long-term. All can sustain the human body and none, when done correctly, will impair your ability to live a full, natural life, have many kids and be healthy. However, depending on the person's genes, the food available and the type of exercise they do, one of those diets will be OPTIMAL. Likewise, whilst some human tribes don't fast at all, some fast frequently for short periods and some go for a week or more without more than a few nuts and leaves, what is optimal depends on the individual's situation.

So, yes, Kiwi and I COULD fast for a week or more with no ill-effect, but, from the sound of it, it isn't optimal for either of us.
            Nailed it.
            Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
            https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
            MFP Food Diary:
            http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
            (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Working...
            X