Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good read for anyone in LCHF land or on a crash diet or both.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    I believe fasting is a normal human state. I also believe this is healthy and normal. If you think Grok ate every day you are kidding yourself. WE ARE NOT DESIGNED TO CONSTANTLY STUFF OUR FACES. Give not eating a try for 3-5 days. Your mind will be more clear and focused than you have ever imagined.

    Comment


    • #62
      3-5 days?

      Uh... Noooooo. No no no. Nuh uh. Nope. I like food a little too much to starve myself. :3
      Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

      Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
      https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
      MFP Food Diary:
      http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
      (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

      Comment


      • #63
        3-5 days is hardly starving considering we can survive like 2-3 WEEKS(or longer) without eating. We live in a constant state of delusion.

        Comment


        • #64
          Yeah, but why would you want to go 3-5 days without food? That's just weird.
          Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

          Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
          https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
          MFP Food Diary:
          http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
          (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
            Yeah, but why would you want to go 3-5 days without food? That's just weird.
            Maybe to get a little more in touch with your body and what it actually needs as apposed to what you might think it needs. Going days on end without eating is perfectly normal and healthy. We as humans mistakenly take food for granted. You do not have a right to eat. People would be better off earning every bite in the truest sense. Go off into the bush and face your meals!

            Comment


            • #66
              Just because something doesn't fit into what the average person practices, it doesn't make it weird. It's weirder to eat food from a box or served by someone talking through a clown.

              Mark talks about the benefits of fasting, there's info on youtube, and of course Google. It's not weird, not even for a whopping 3-5 days. It's just that we've been taught that if we don't put something in our pieholes every four hours we'll go into starvation mode and ruin our health - something that has never been proven anywhere.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

              B*tch-lite

              Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by whitebear View Post
                Maybe to get a little more in touch with your body and what it actually needs as apposed to what you might think it needs. Going days on end without eating is perfectly normal and healthy. We as humans mistakenly take food for granted. You do not have a right to eat. People would be better off earning every bite in the truest sense. Go off into the bush and face your meals!
                Of course I have a right to eat. I have a right to do whatever the hell I please.

                Fasting for 3-5 (even two) consecutive days seems utterly pointless to me. As I said: I enjoy eating. It is what my body wants.
                Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

                Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                MFP Food Diary:
                http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                  Just because something doesn't fit into what the average person practices, it doesn't make it weird. It's weirder to eat food from a box or served by someone talking through a clown.

                  Mark talks about the benefits of fasting, there's info on youtube, and of course Google. It's not weird, not even for a whopping 3-5 days. It's just that we've been taught that if we don't put something in our pieholes every four hours we'll go into starvation mode and ruin our health - something that has never been proven anywhere.
                  I agree about the benefit of fasting. We don't need frequent meals, no. Unnecessary.

                  But 3-5 days seems over the top. A bit like those "cleanses" or juice fasts.
                  Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

                  Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                  https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                  MFP Food Diary:
                  http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                  (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                    Yeah... I've seen some people come around asking about NK who are already low weight and such and I try to steer them clear.

                    Sure some people get the energy and clarity thing... but the biggest side effect for most of people is appetite suppression which is why it works for weight loss and for those with disordered eating.
                    For those people who are at a healthy weight and doing it for a medical reason like epilepsy they need to approach it more carefully and with caloric needs at the forefront, sometimes they have to ease into that level of eating slowly.

                    For the people like you who are a good body weight or just need to lose 10-20 lbs, and those really active, I always tell them do normal PB or higher carb/lower fat with plenty of veg, tubers, and fruits for a while first to see how that works...
                    HFLC and NK isn't for everyone.
                    Hey Cori,

                    Do you think there's a reason that HFLC doesn't work for already-lean people? I started LCHF PB at about 125 lbs (I'm 5'8), and yeah.. did not work for me. Any time I go LC it exasperates my insomnia, and during the brief period I was in Ketosis I felt frazzled and like I was on drugs (and not the good ones ) I never got the appetite suppression either.

                    I think it's so interesting that it has such different effects on people. You're more experienced with it than I am and have been around the boards longer - just wondering if you've come up with a theory about why that might be?

                    Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                    I was all set for a huge group hug and then this ^............... Gwamma has got some seriously twitchy fingers just itching to smack someones bottom...........................however thats not allowed etc....... so I will have to keep my digits to myself - BUGGAR
                    ;D Lol. To be fair, he's not the only one. Remember this?! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread73605.html
                    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                    - Ray Peat

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
                      I agree about the benefit of fasting. We don't need frequent meals, no. Unnecessary.

                      But 3-5 days seems over the top. A bit like those "cleanses" or juice fasts.
                      I think some people like to push themselves and see what they're body is capable of. Or loose weight. I'm a total foodie, so fasting for that long (or even just eating once a day) doesn't appeal to me.

                      Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                      Just because something doesn't fit into what the average person practices, it doesn't make it weird. It's weirder to eat food from a box or served by someone talking through a clown.
                      Brilliant. Someone needs to put this on a t-shirt
                      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                      In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                      - Ray Peat

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
                        Of course I have a right to eat. I have a right to do whatever the hell I please.

                        Fasting for 3-5 (even two) consecutive days seems utterly pointless to me. As I said: I enjoy eating. It is what my body wants.
                        No you do not have a right to eat. You most definitely have a right to try to obtain food and then eat it but you do not have a right to eat.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          I think that HFLC works most easily for heavy people because they have so much excess tissue to in reserve to burn when they eat below their caloric needs and because they already have those fats reserves their body trades in fat more readily rather than worrying about needing to conserve all the time like a very lean persons body might. The human body is after all programmed to want to maintain a certain percentage of fat for health, and even more for hard times if it can.

                          I suspect it made you more hungry because you were already at the low end of your weight spectrum and the body didn't want to burn it's own meager fat stores... so your body was more resistant than a very heavy persons, and telling you "eat dammit!"

                          That is just my speculation.


                          I also know that for people who are lean and successful at NK who do so for medical reasons such as epilepsy (or those odd NK athletes), like Paleobird, they pay close attention to meeting their caloric needs, eat a wide variety of meats including organs, meats, and fish/shellfish for nutrition(or must supplement), and often work into the state slowly instead of trying to change their diet completely overnight.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by whitebear View Post
                            No you do not have a right to eat. You most definitely have a right to try to obtain food and then eat it but you do not have a right to eat.
                            So, in conclusion, if I have access to food I have the right to eat it?

                            Mind = Blown. Thank God we got that out of the way.
                            Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

                            Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                            https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                            MFP Food Diary:
                            http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                            (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
                              So, in conclusion, if I have access to food I have the right to eat it?

                              Mind = Blown. Thank God we got that out of the way.
                              Point being that in Groks days he/she was sure to go days sometimes without food and we are adapted to do the same and quite possibly without detriment.I believe it to be more likely to our benefit. Try to imagine having to hunt or gather for yourself every morsel that passes your lips.
                              p.s. condescend much?
                              Last edited by whitebear; 02-17-2013, 11:46 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                                I think that HFLC works most easily for heavy people because they have so much excess tissue to in reserve to burn when they eat below their caloric needs and because they already have those fats reserves their body trades in fat more readily rather than worrying about needing to conserve all the time like a very lean persons body might. The human body is after all programmed to want to maintain a certain percentage of fat for health, and even more for hard times if it can.

                                I suspect it made you more hungry because you were already at the low end of your weight spectrum and the body didn't want to burn it's own meager fat stores... so your body was more resistant than a very heavy persons, and telling you "eat dammit!"

                                That is just my speculation.


                                I also know that for people who are lean and successful at NK who do so for medical reasons such as epilepsy (or those odd NK athletes), like Paleobird, they pay close attention to meeting their caloric needs, eat a wide variety of meats including organs, meats, and fish/shellfish for nutrition(or must supplement), and often work into the state slowly instead of trying to change their diet completely overnight.
                                Mmm. Good points. It makes me wonder though if there really is basis in metabolic typing. But that's another thread Thanks.
                                "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                                In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                                - Ray Peat

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X