Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I do for carb cravings like bread and sweet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do for carb cravings like bread and sweet?

Any suggestions to counteract the carb cravings?

For me, it's potatoes, rice, or chestnuts. Or coffee with cream.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

The primal answer, I think, is fruit. But I'm also going through bread cravings right now, last night I gave in. Tomorrow I'll go buy a pineapple. Perhaps it will work this time. i'm having a problem going to sleep, and a bagel with butter and jam will put me right to sleep. I hope pineapple will also.
      "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

I second the potatoes.

Baked sweet potato with a tablespoon of butter and cinnamon = heaven.
        Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
        https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
        MFP Food Diary:
        http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
        (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Make sure you have some protein at every meal, to help you stay satisfied. Meat, eggs, fish, maybe some cheese.

Try to keep carbs low at first. I would not even recommend fruit or potatoes, they only fuel the cravings in my experience. Stick with non-starchy veges and berries for the most part.

Make up the balance with fats - butter, nuts, olives.

Get through the first wee while and you should find your tastes adapt and your cravings diminish. Then you will be able to enjoy the sweetness of a carrot, a few grapes or whatever and will find that sugar and sweetened foods overly sweet.

Bread is addictive, but again your cravings will diminish quicker if you are strict about not giving in at first.
          Annie Ups the Ante
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

If it occurs at night, brush your teeth and go to bed.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I was recently suffering from HUGE carb cravings to the point of mindlessly eating a whole box of muesli, then I fasted for 90 hours last week and that seems to have given me a whole new perspective on hunger/cravings (in a good way), until now!

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                If it occurs at night, brush your teeth and go to bed.
                +1 this works well for me, too

Comment

Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                  Make sure you have some protein at every meal, to help you stay satisfied. Meat, eggs, fish, maybe some cheese.

Try to keep carbs low at first. I would not even recommend fruit or potatoes, they only fuel the cravings in my experience. Stick with non-starchy veges and berries for the most part.

Get through the first wee while and you should find your tastes adapt and your cravings diminish. Then you will be able to enjoy the sweetness of a carrot, a few grapes or whatever and will find that sugar and sweetened foods overly sweet.

Bread is addictive, but again your cravings will diminish quicker if you are strict about not giving in at first.
                  This. Ride it out with plenty of protein and fat, so you feel satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Annieh View Post

I'd like to offer a slightly different perspective. From someone who has experienced binge eating disorder (always sugar and grains) on and off for a couple of years, the only time I felt that I was didn't get any cravings were when I was eating a moderate carb diet (food pyramid-wise, with potatoes, muesli, rice, etc) and not deliberately eating paleo.

For reference, I'm quite lean so insulin resistance probably isn't an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by mmsantos View Post
                      For reference, I'm quite lean so insulin resistance probably isn't an issue.
                      I am very lean and fit but have a serious IR issue bordering on T2 diabetes.

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
                        I am very lean and fit but have a serious IR issue bordering on T2 diabetes.
                        Funny the people that talk the most shit, need my advice the most.

Up your carbs and lower you fat/protein.

OP: dont eat low carb. Eat a moderate amount of carbs from fruit and tubers, even rice if you would like. Low carb just leads to binge eating and metabolic disorders.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post

OP: dont eat low carb. Eat a moderate amount of carbs from fruit and tubers, even rice if you would like. Low carb just leads to binge eating and metabolic disorders.
                          Like always insulin resistance. You know, when you can't process glucose at all, and get those lovely side effects like dizziness, migraines, etc;
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post

I would love to have a face to face discussion with you. I made that post because it is very wrong to tell a person he/she probably does not have IR just because he/she isn't fat. Also, you need a serious education if you think low carb [necessarily] leads to binge eating and metabolic orders. My metabolic disorder came from high carb binge eating and is now under perfect control with a HFVLC diet, not to mention how much better I feel. Based on your various posts, I conclude you do not know jack shit about IR or diabetes.
                            Last edited by Artbuc; 02-16-2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Perfectly under control = serious IR, bordering on type 2 diabetes?

Comment

Working...
                              X