Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low carb + lower fat

Something I have been wondering about is having meals like this:
    Leaner protein, cooked in a little fat, ie coconut oil or ghee, with a large green leafy salad. Or grill the meat so it doesn't need add fat.
    Maybe the occasional starchy carbs.

Because this would be lower in fat than what I was eating before (around 70-75%). I don't know the exact macro break down of a meal like this though. But eating something like this 3 x per day (sorta like the whole 30 rules I guess, but really little added fat).

How would your body run on lower fat and lower carb? Cos it has to run off one or the other right?
    Would this be when it starts to burn stored fat?
    Some stuff about all this I still don't understand.

This diabetes diagnosis has given me a real shake up, and I want to think about what I am doing. I don't want to count macros etc, because it makes me obsess and its not a good place for me to be in.

This is coming from someone who has 100-110 lbs to lose.

So protein would make up the bulk of your calories at this point? Just be aware that your liver can actually only process a certain amount of protein daily, the max being determined largely by the liver's size. So smaller people generally have a lower maximum.

However, if you feel good eating this way, then why question it?
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Currently I am actually not eating much, but I do not have any hunger.
      am - BP coffee or coffee with HWC and mct oil.
      late afternoon/dinner - Protein cooked in fat, some green veg, but not many.
      Afternoon/evening ill have a tea with HWC.
      Occasionally I will share an apple or banana with my youngest son.

Yes I am aware its very little food but I truly can't fit in much more, I guess due to the higher fat content. I was eating an extra meal for a bit there, very similar to the other, but I can't always do it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
        So protein would make up the bulk of your calories at this point? Just be aware that your liver can actually only process a certain amount of protein daily, the max being determined largely by the liver's size. So smaller people generally have a lower maximum.

However, if you feel good eating this way, then why question it?
        No, I am not talking huge amounts of protein, I guess palm size at each meal, I guess id have to count just to see what the rough amount is.

I do feel good eating how I am now, but I have just been diagnosed with diabetes. I went to the Dr due to slow weight loss. Its been way too long ive been obese (put more info in my other thread).

I NEED to get some weight off. I am truly getting desperate at the moment. For my health, and this high insulin level (which the dr says causes slow, or lack of weight loss). And for my children. I cant be this huge mummy dropping my oldest at school everyday. It is only week 2 of school, but I am sure eventually he would get teased. Its not fair on him for me to be like this.
        I feel surprisingly well and energetic each day, but I am sure it could be much better if I was smaller.

Comment

Actually, protein has a much higher satiety index than fat does. Primal and Mark's wisdom seems to point to fat as the "great satiater" but I actually find it MUCH harder to eat a pound of lean chicken breasts than I do a pound of fatty sausage just to use an example. Even if I cook the chicken breasts with absolutely NO fat at all.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I think you need to eat more.

IMO, starving yourself and eating so little won't help you lose any of that weight.
            Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
            https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
            MFP Food Diary:
            http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
            (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Ayla, do you honestly think a lower fat, low carb diet sounds like a good idea?

Comment

Angry kiwi, you have the people on here always saying calories are the only thing that matter.
                So in their logic I should have lost huge amounts of weight in the last 3 months, but its been 4 kg.
                I believe now this is due to my high insulin, (according to the Dr), but need to know if this is correct.
                Maybe you are right about needing more food. Do you think eating 3 meals like I listed above (leaner protein + lots of veg and a little fat) would work better?
                I guess with lowered fat I could fit in more.

Look I am not here to argue with anyone, I am just in desperate need of help right now.

Comment

Drumroll, that is interesting.

Zach, I don't know, hence my question. I guess my main one is if I lower my fat, is it likely to start to get to my body fat more?
                  I am not intending to eat huge amounts of carbs. I have tested my blood sugar after things like a banana and its higher. The point of checking is to keep it lower is it not?

For all I know, any way I eat is irrelevant if my insulin is so high right?

This is all so damn confusing to me. I am so frustrated because of this. Life should not be so hard. There is more info on the diabetes thread I started. I should have just asked there.

Comment

I love what HFLC has done for me, with how I feel over all, and has stopped my bingeing, this for me is a huge huge deal.

But due to my recent diagnosis, and how desperate I am feeling about getting weight off which will help my insulin go down, I am just trying to work out the best way to approach this.
                    And maybe having not as much food with higher fat, might not be appropriate for me anymore, I just don't know. If I felt like crap physically it would be easier to think I needed to change something, but its only for my mental state really.

Comment

And Zach I don't have the strength to argue you with today. I am just looking for help , that doesn't involve too much sugar, as I truly don't think its going to help my diabetes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                        Angry kiwi, you have the people on here always saying calories are the only thing that matter.
                        So in their logic I should have lost huge amounts of weight in the last 3 months, but its been 4 kg.
                        I believe now this is due to my high insulin, (according to the Dr), but need to know if this is correct.
                        Maybe you are right about needing more food. Do you think eating 3 meals like I listed above (leaner protein + lots of veg and a little fat) would work better?
                        I guess with lowered fat I could fit in more.

Look I am not here to argue with anyone, I am just in desperate need of help right now.
                        I can tell you as a fact that yes, calories do matter. Eating below your BMR is a recipe for disaster.

You've admitted to have - at least in the past - counted calories, setting a goal of 1200 and failing to even meet that. You also claim to not be hungry and that you "couldn't possibly eat any more". Y'know, one of my friends thought the same thing. Why? She has anorexia nervous: the brain can very easily mask the signals the body gives to fulfill arbitrary goals.

I think you either need to:
                        1: Eat intuitively, eating Paleo/Primal foods whenever you have the desire to. DON'T restrict of count calories, just eat what your body wants to eat. Y'know, like how Mark's book instructs you to.
                        OR
                        2: Get back on MyFitnessPal, set a realistic calorie goal - that's 10-20% below your TDEE (NOT your BMR) to lose weight and drop fat - and meet that calorie goal daily. Hell, there's even a Paleo/Primal support group on there that has members - myself included - who are happy to help.

Don't mistake me as a jackass just picking on you, or something along those lines. I genuinely can and will help - there's no reason you have to starve yourself to lose weight, in fact, you can eat food you love while doing so.

Any way. That's my take on it. Do as you will.
                        Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                        https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                        MFP Food Diary:
                        http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                        (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Your body is in starvation mode. You are not hungry because your metabolism is low to reclect your calorie intake. You are borderline diabetic because your body does not know how to deal anymore. You are starving yourself of calories, macro and micro nutrients. Do you honestly think taking half your calories from fat like coconut oil is doing anything helpful?

Unfortunately there is no easy fix. To get yourself healthy again you will probably need to gain even more weight. You are in a vicious cycle right now where your body will hold onto as much fat as it can while gaining fat back whenever it can.

The first thing you need to do is give up your way of eating. What you are doing now is metabolic death. You need to saturate yourself with nutrients until your body feels comfortable enough to let fat go. Stress, exercise, sleep all need top priority as well.

Comment

Originally posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
                            I can tell you as a fact that yes, calories do matter. Eating below your BMR is a recipe for disaster.

You've admitted to have - at least in the past - counted calories, setting a goal of 1200 and failing to even meet that. You also claim to not be hungry and that you "couldn't possibly eat any more". Y'know, one of my friends thought the same thing. Why? She has anorexia nervous: the brain can very easily mask the signals the body gives to fulfill arbitrary goals.

I think you either need to:
                            1: Eat intuitively, eating Paleo/Primal foods whenever you have the desire to. DON'T restrict of count calories, just eat what your body wants to eat. Y'know, like how Mark's book instructs you to.
                            OR
                            2: Get back on MyFitnessPal, set a realistic calorie goal - that's 10-20% below your TDEE (NOT your BMR) to lose weight and drop fat - and meet that calorie goal daily. Hell, there's even a Paleo/Primal support group on there that has members - myself included - who are happy to help.

Don't mistake me as a jackass just picking on you, or something along those lines. I genuinely can and will help - there's no reason you have to starve yourself to lose weight, in fact, you can eat food you love while doing so.

Any way. That's my take on it. Do as you will.
                            But this is truly what I am doing.
                            I was counting calories when I first went HFLC yes, but it makes me obessed and crazy. If I am hungry I do eat, I just don't often have hunger, which I was attributing to the higher fat, particularly in the BP coffee. Which is why I wondered about eating leaner proteins but 3 times per day if I can. I would gather with lowering my fat id get hungrier anyway.

Anorexia? I am over 100 lbs over weight and not exactly dropping huge amounts quickly. I do believe the higher fats are making me not as hungry.

I don't think you are a jackass, truly. Just trying to work out what is best. This whole thing is insane for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                              Your body is in starvation mode. You are not hungry because your metabolism is low to reclect your calorie intake. You are borderline diabetic because your body does not know how to deal anymore. You are starving yourself of calories, macro and micro nutrients. Do you honestly think taking half your calories from fat like coconut oil is doing anything helpful?

Unfortunately there is no easy fix. To get yourself healthy again you will probably need to gain even more weight. You are in a vicious cycle right now where your body will hold onto as much fat as it can while gaining fat back whenever it can.

The first thing you need to do is give up your way of eating. What you are doing now is metabolic death. You need to saturate yourself with nutrients until your body feels comfortable enough to let fat go. Stress, exercise, sleep all need top priority as well.
                              OK first Zach.
                              Do you truly think my high insulin from just 3 months?
                              The Dr seemed to think it was due to my dieting history and was sorta waiting dormant (I think that is how he explained it). Plus my family history. Remember the last 3 months ive lost only 4 kg, and that was actually only in Jan, nothing Oct - Jan while being low carb, 100% primal, and never starving. I was eating more then, as my fats weren't as high.

And no, I absolutely cannot gain any more weight, I just can't.

I do walk daily, and sleep pretty, stress has been higher recently due to my oldest starting school, but working through it.

So eating 3 x a day leaner protein, lots of veg. Do you think that would help?

Comment

Working...
                              X