Low carb + lower fat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    It took 9 years to get diagnosed as having Hashimotos Thyroiditis. After which I have steadily lost weight.
    I kept going every year to my doctor. About all I got from him is "my mom is in her 80's and overweight and going strong!"
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• What your describing is called The Zone Diet. The developer, Barry Sears, is relatively pudgy.

Comment

• Ayla
        Just went through the entire thread, you've had all the advice on Macro's and plans to get there and then some more, here's my take.

You're between a rock and a hard place, now the first thing is your concern about your son being teased, which is likely representative of other fears you have as well. Now unless you actually go on a hunger strike, which wouldn't help anyway, any other path you take you're still going to be that "Fat Mum" as you described for a while yet, so no amount of concern in that sphere is going to help you, it will just hinder your progress, so you need to address those issues upstairs first, by all means get into the diet plan and exercise, but you need to devote a significant amount of time to introspection.

You have described a long history of dieting and failure, every one of those has flipped a switch upstairs lowering self esteem, all this is reversable, but you need to work through it. I am not suggesting you go and see a shrink, just look within at your behaviours, feelings & responses, how many of these are self sabotageing, how often do you respond with a sense of obligation but internally holding feelings of resentment. It will take quite a while for you to hear what your body is saying, and gradually gain the ability to observe yourself and how your mind & emotions operate, you'll find that indeed sometimes it feels like a dozen different people up there arguing about what you should do, stand back and observe them, sometimes it can get quite funny.

An example, aquaintance calls seeking emotional support, your reaction, grab keys drive over and do your duty, but all the while resenting this inconvenience and you were planning to hang with your son, hubby, or whatever. Some say these needy people are feeding off your spiritual energy and you need to control that doorway, another might be your own needs of wanting to be loved and needed. There is a thing called active choices, friend calls, you take a breath review situation, is it life threatening, what are you sacrificing, if you do it then you deny an opportunity to be with your loved ones, that is what they call "opportunity cost" you only have so much time and love to give you need to think carefully about how you spend it, now you may well decide that you need to do it, that's fine, but you will be doing it from a position of strength and love without any resentment, it is the resentment which tells us we are harming ourselves.

You are standing at the base of a big mountain, don't be distracted by those racing past you up the path, or the criticisms about how you're doing it wrong, seek information as you are doing, assess it and take the bits that work for you, slow and steady wins the race, you may never get to the pic in your user id, are you ok with that, do you love yourself for who you are, it's only when you learn to love yourself that you can become truly healthy, when both your mind and body are at peace. Some of that stuff may not relate to you, just a prompter to look within, as you go through the process you will be surprised at what you find, each individual has a slightly different path to walk, there's no one size fits all.

As for practical stuff, just a couple of things I didn't see mentioned.
        1 / As for exercise a morning kick start is good if you can manage it, if your metabolism is boosted in the morning it will maintain that pace during the day, if you start off slow, you will most likely idle all day.
        2 / Do not discount potential thyroid issues, many times individuals may have numbers in range, but still have a subclinical condition with all the associated symptoms, one way to double check this is to monitor heart rate and body temp at least in morning when you wake up, note womens body temp fluctuates during monthly cycle, but it is a good indicator of overall health.
        3 / Consider that it may be a micronutrient deficiency which has stalled your weight loss, esspecially if you have been eating less, there are nutrients you lose in the elimination process and if your body is short it will not let you lose more, so focussing on consuming nutrient dense foods may help there.
        4 / Omega 6 overload may also be a factor, the ratio of O3:O6 is more important than absolute numbers, and if your weight was gained through many years of poor diet, it is likely you were substituting the so called "Healthy" vegetable and seed oils, this results in an altered adipose tissue profile, in short you may have a lot of O6 in your fat stores. So when you are loosing weight this is being released into your blood, which knocks out your ratio to O3, your body will shut down the process because of the danger of getting too much O6 in your cell walls. So possibly additional O3 supplementation, but preferably from direct food sources like wild fish, pasture meats and eggs etc. will support the serum ratio of O3:O6 and allow your body to release more from the adipose tissue. Now a lot of this stored O6 may well be oxidised as well and your body can only clear it at a set rate, no matter how much you starve yourself.

So in a nut shell, be happy and at peace, choose to do the things that you enjoy, eat as healthy as you can, but if possible ease of on some of the structuring and remember that the longest lived people, both as absolute individual ages and as averaged life expectancy, were not strictly primal, the most dominant characteristics they all shared was an active life and peace of mind, they ate with the seasons and their geography, sometimes more fruit, veg & carbs, sometimes just meat and fat.

Hope that essay may trigger some ideas that ring with you, the answer lies within you, and through the discussion you will come to it.
        "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

• Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
          I'm going to take a wild guess and say either you have never been overweight, or you were one of the overweight people for whom it was caused strictly by over-eating.
          I was obese from overeating, and now I'm not anymore.

This is a frustrating road when most dietary advice out there is complete crap and you don't know what to do. Fortunately I eventually was able to figure it out for myself and apply it.

Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
          Not all of us who are overweight got that way through over-eating. In my own case, my thyroid failed. I went from being 125 lbs with a lean, athletic body to being 225 lbs despite eating the same foods, in the same portions, and doing the same activity (until I got so heavy I couldn't.) My doctor, when I asked for tests to find out what was wrong, said, "Join Weight Watchers." It took 9 years to get diagnosed as having Hashimotos Thyroiditis. After which I have steadily lost weight
          Most people are. A case such as yours is a very rare exception and I can understand why it would be A LOT harder for you without the meds.

Can you understand how tough it might have been for me not even knowing that I was fat? I didn't because nobody told me. In such a case, it's impossible to lose weight.

Can you understand how frustrating it might have been when I thought I was just chubby due to genetics, even though I was actually obese and I could do something about it but I didn't know?

Can you understand how frustrating it might have been for me when I sought out dietary advice, yet most of the dietary advice available was impractical, confusing, and contradictory? I didn't know what to do and because of that it took me much longer to figure it out and gain complete control over my weight.

In the case of the extremely obese individuals, it can sometimes be different as well. They know they are fat. In some cases they overeat due to emotional reasons. I've known at least a few people who have had such problems.

Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
          Every single day I read posts from someone like you that seems to think it's a matter or willpower and overeating in every single case of obesity. You are WRONG.
          No I am not. Most people who get fat get fat from overeating. I believe your personal story, but realize that is a rare case.

Let's be real. Roughly 66% of the population in the USA are overweight and 33% are obese. This isn't the case in other countries, even when they have McDonalds too. I know this because I've been to other countries and I've seen it with my own eyes. I've seen countless people who ate McDonalds or KFC every day and most of them were still thin, because they weren't eating too much of it.

What does this tell you about countries such as the USA? I could tell you a lot more. Portion sizes are bigger. People are always pressuring each other to eat more food all the time. Commercials and ads are everywhere telling people to eat. Even the dietary advice and programs are typically designed to get you to buy more food products and eat more; they don't care if you are fat, only if they have your money. This is the real reason why most people are fat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omni View Post
            Hope that essay may trigger some ideas that ring with you, the answer lies within you, and through the discussion you will come to it.
            I enjoyed this. Especially point 4. I don't know much about 03 & O6 so I had not read it put that way before. Might help explain my stall a little bit. (talking many many months, not a short stall by any means) Thank you!
            65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• I didn't get fat from overeating. I got fat from eating the WRONG foods. 99% of the time I was HUNGRY, especially after having my 1/2 of lowfat wholewheat bagel with a piece of lowfat cheese breakfast and all the other recommendations of CW. And I kept gaining. I realize that doesn't fit the calories in/calories out theory but there you have it. And, unfortunately, I'm not the only one.
              Starting Weight: 197.5
              Current Weight: 123
              Far healthier!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ripped View Post
                Most people who get fat get fat from overeating.
                Most people??? How is it possible for the body to store fat if you are not eating MORE than the body need for energy expenditure? I would rather say that EVERYBODY got fat due to overeating, but in a few cases certain diseases can make people overeat, that's true...
                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

• Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                  Something I have been wondering about is having meals like this:
                  Leaner protein, cooked in a little fat, ie coconut oil or ghee, with a large green leafy salad. Or grill the meat so it doesn't need add fat.
                  Maybe the occasional starchy carbs.
                  this is Paleo lol

pretty much what I eat for dinner...
                  ad astra per aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                    Most people??? How is it possible for the body to store fat if you are not eating MORE than the body need for energy expenditure? I would rather say that EVERYBODY got fat due to overeating, but in a few cases certain diseases can make people overeat, that's true...
                    This is the thing I don't get. If one understands how the body works, they'd realize that without food the pancreas secretes glucagon in order to burn fat and keep the blood sugar normal. Even in such a state, if you perform physical activity, more glucagon is secreted and the blood sugar remains stable.

With that being said, the only way possible that I can think of where someone couldn't lose fat is if they couldn't produce glucagon. And I haven't heard of a single case where that has happened.

Even with an incredibly slow metabolism, the answer still remains the same.

Comment

• ugh... why is it so hard for people to eat vegetables, meat, fruit in reasonable portions, exercise consistently

One thing that is a common thread between many people on this forum who "cannot" lose weight is their lack of exercise, or ineffectual exercise. I think these people don't know what exercise is or the amount they need to do because at early age they were sedentary, non athletic. It's a reason why physical education (everything that entails - not just gym class) is essential to a child's education. How to move, making it fun, etc.

/rant
                      Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-20-2013, 11:23 AM.
                      ad astra per aspera

Comment

• Yep, everybody got fat from overeating too much food and I repeat it gladly; - everybody became fat from OVEREATING too much food! - also in those cases of metabolic slowdown due to illness or hormonal imbalances etc., saying otherwise is either plain ignorance, stupidity or even dishonesty, or a combination of those things. Personally I am getting a bit fed up of posters deceiving themselves and others about that overeating is not the reason why they became fat. Do they think that the body burn and stores energy out of thin air?
                        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

• Think how much obesity would be eliminated if children were introducted to "good foods" and "yucky foods" and led to understand how good foods make you strong, healthy and beautiful and bad foods make you unhealthy. I understand that many people are in the situation they are in because they never learned this early on but when you think about the underlying principle of what you should put in your body and what you shouldn't, how to exist physically and be physically capable -- it's about as basic, low level Human 101 as you can get. People act like it's this huge secret that has taken them 30 years to discover, or that it's a constant battle to not shovel potatoes and bacon down their throats. Maybe it is a constant battle for some people but I just can't relate to that. If it isn't hard for me why is it hard for so many other people? Genetics? auto immune disease? I'm lucky?
                          ad astra per aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                            Yep, everybody got fat from overeating too much food and I repeat it gladly; - everybody became fat from OVEREATING too much food! - also in those cases of metabolic slowdown due to illness or hormonal imbalances etc., saying otherwise is either plain ignorance, stupidity or even dishonesty, or a combination of those things. Personally I am getting a bit fed up of posters deceiving themselves and others about that overeating is not the reason why they became fat. Do they think that the body burn and stores energy out of thin air?
                            Very narrow view. I've been struggling to lose weight since I was about 8 years old. As I said, I have gone hungry uncountable times in my determination to lose. After weeks of eating very low calorie, I'd lose maybe a pound. Ultimately I'd lose the battle w/hunger and have a cheeseburger or some other thing and immediately gain back the one pound I struggled for weeks to lose. I did spend many years following CW and eating foods that apparently were a big mistake for my body. When I went low carb and dumped all grains & sugar, I was finally successful. I was never told I had a metabolic problem but I believe this indicates I do and many others like me do as well and continue to be undiagnosed. Dismissing us as overeaters is insulting. You don't know what you are talking about.
                            Far healthier!

Comment

• Originally posted by janie View Post
                              Very narrow view. I've been struggling to lose weight since I was about 8 years old. As I said, I have gone hungry uncountable times in my determination to lose. After weeks of eating very low calorie, I'd lose maybe a pound. Ultimately I'd lose the battle w/hunger and have a cheeseburger or some other thing and immediately gain back the one pound I struggled for weeks to lose. I did spend many years following CW and eating foods that apparently were a big mistake for my body. When I went low carb and dumped all grains & sugar, I was finally successful. I was never told I had a metabolic problem but I believe this indicates I do and many others like me do as well and continue to be undiagnosed. Dismissing us as overeaters is insulting. You don't know what you are talking about.
                              Yeah, your thyroid. Caused by who knows what, given that no one knows you.

Of course he doesn't know what he's talking about in regards to your n=1!!!11(I hate this stupid lingo) how could he?

You're a really angry person who happens to be wrong about the majority of things they post(hi insulin). I suggest you calm down, because it's kind of funny for you to comment that someone else doesn't know what they're talking about.
                              Make America Great Again

Comment

• Can't read it Derp. I got you on ignore as do many others.

I'm 67 years old and know what my experience has been. I imagine you insulted me, but that's what you do.
                                Far healthier!

Comment

Working...
                                X