Fasting was a disaster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasting was a disaster

So, I read Mark's articles about intermittent fasting, and was really pumped about it. I played around with it a little, skipped a meal here and there when I felt like it. It went pretty well.
    Lately, though I have been wanting to do something a bit more formal. I wanted to do a 24 hour fast. I tried to do it a couple times, but everytime I got to about 14 hours in and then got really hungry with headaches, no energy and my focus and memory goes out the window.
    Well, today I tried for one last time. And it was awful. Well, the first part wasn't too bad, but once 14 hours hit, I got hungry. I actually made it to 18 hours, but I was starving, nauseous, stomachache, headache, horribly cranky was shaking, and couldn't forcus. And then when I did eat, I ended up WAY over eating. 7 eggs. a coconut milk smoothie, 3 pieces of bacon, a big handful of jerky. And a large green apple.
    Should I quit trying this since it obviously isn't working, or does it get better? Input from someone who does IF would be much appreciated.
    Female
    133lbs
    5'5"

Just curious... why are ou trying IF? What do you hope to get out of it?

I'm asking because you're already at a healthy weight for your height.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Short Answer: Yes you should absolutely quit doing this thing that makes you feel sick.

Longer Answer: Fasting isn't for everyone. How well you tolerate it has a lot to do with what you eat when you do eat, and what kind of person you are, and what your body wants. If you can comfortably go without breakfast and even gain a benefit from doing so, do that.

Mark's premise is not "structured fasting" it is "EAT WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY." And if that happens to result in a fast, so be it.
      yay!

Comment

Why not try fasting with shorter breaks between meals. I mean, freling that uncomfortably hungry is not a sustainable way to eat Maybe eventually your body will get adapted to longer breaks. If that doesn't happen than then so be it. Fasting is neither mandatory nor for everyone.

Comment

I wouldn't force the issue.

I fast up to 18hrs semi-regularly, but I don't push it. If I'm hungry, I eat - if not then I don't.

That being said, I couldn't skip meals before going Primal, I would have sugar crashed big-time.
          "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

Try a bunch of water.

Sounds like a punk answer, but it's often how I do it.

M.

Comment

Please read this: How Intermittent Fasting Saved Me While Slowly Killing me | Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations

Fasting isn't for everyone and it certainly isn't a "starve yourself" thing. If you are hungry and it makes you feel the way you describe. . . STOP! If you can comfortably skip a meal here or there, fine - you're not hungry, no need to ingest calories. But if you become hungry - EAT!

Comment

Originally posted by qqemokitty View Post
                Short Answer: Yes you should absolutely quit doing this thing that makes you feel sick.

Longer Answer: Fasting isn't for everyone. How well you tolerate it has a lot to do with what you eat when you do eat, and what kind of person you are, and what your body wants. If you can comfortably go without breakfast and even gain a benefit from doing so, do that.

Mark's premise is not "structured fasting" it is "EAT WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY." And if that happens to result in a fast, so be it.
                This.
                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by itchy166 View Post
                  I wouldn't force the issue.

I fast up to 18hrs semi-regularly, but I don't push it. If I'm hungry, I eat - if not then I don't.

That being said, I couldn't skip meals before going Primal, I would have sugar crashed big-time.
                  Yep I agree with every point here.

Comment

Fasting is different for women. It can be detrimental to fertility later on. If you are not hungry don't eat, if you are hungry eat something.
                    Last edited by Primal123; 02-14-2013, 03:41 AM.

Comment

It just doesn't work for some people, don't feel bad. It works for me because I have a clearer head on an empty stomach and I love the lightness of feeling hungry. Being full just makes me sleepy and lethargic.
                      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Yep I agree with everyone - don't push it if you feel bad. If you can have a lie down, big drink of water or go for a slow walk, they might help you through the hunger, but it's not worth if it you are really feeling like shite.

Would just like to add - that's not a big meal - that's a starter , the other day after a 16 hours not eating I had 4 double sized rashers of streaky bacon, about half a pound of really good sausages and 6 eggs, scrambled with quite a lot of butter, now that's a meal
                        You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                          It just doesn't work for some people, don't feel bad. It works for me because I have a clearer head on an empty stomach and I love the lightness of feeling hungry. Being full just makes me sleepy and lethargic.
                          same. I've stopped giving advice to others on the subject.
                          ad astra per aspera

Comment

Same here. While I like to have 12 hour break between the last and the first meal, and occasionally go for 14 hours, after 15 hours it is white-knuckled for me. I was forcing myself into 18-22 hour fasts, and I stopped because I figured I was putting myself at risk of losing my job. And, yes, I ate far too much after the fast because I was so starved. I plan on 14 hour fasts now, but don't push it. If hunger persists for over 30 min I eat. And fasting did absolutely nothing for body recom or caloric control.
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Thank-you EVERYONE! For your posts. Honestly, I was hoping that IF would help me get down to 125. Purely vanity pounds. Primal has done so much for me already. Health problems have cleared up, I went from 144-133. I think it's ok for me to admit that I don't do well on longer fasts. I should admit that this is probably the healthiest weight for me and not push the issue. I really appreciated that article, Purple Couch, that was exactly what I needed to hear. I am going to work harder on listening to my body and accepting it.

Comment

Working...
                              X