X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevia

hey peeps bought a paleo dessert book

Paleo Dessserts | Cookbook

and a lot of the ingredients says to use "just like sugar table top natural chicory root sweetener" but its rather hard to find so i was thinking maybe to use "Stevia" I haven't herd of it before and read a quick post by Mark about it. So anyway i was in Tesco earlier and i see it in there but wasn't to sure due to the ingredients (Maltodextrin,Sweetener: Steviol Glycosides ,Natural Flavourings)

Canderel Green Stevia Sweetener 75G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

here is a link to the Tesco site with the picture i really haven't got much of a clue about this only what i read from Mark

Any help would be great
    Paul (UK)

All the stevia ive seen in the shops has weird cr@p in it. Maltodextrin is a bulking agent & in the UK is usally made from wheat. Natural flavorings can mean a lot of things & not all of them good so unless they say "what" natural flavors id avoid
    My Hubby uses stevia for his coffee, this is where I buy it from (he uses the nunaturals liquid, the list ingredients here so you can look for ones with stevia only if you want )NOW ORGANIC STEVIA EXTRACT 622 Servings 1oz Great Value items in Loving Sugar Free Xylitol Products store on eBay! They also carry Xylitol which might be worth looking into for you
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

We grow fresh stevia in the herb garden. The leaves are super sweet and 100% natural. If you really need a sweetener I am sure you could press (think juicer) or boil the sugar out.

... Yah I know it sounds like work. But avoids the commercial processing. But the herb grows like crazy and gives you plenty of leafy output.
      Full on Primal family and loving it!!!
      This is going to be a big year for vitamins and minerals!

Comment

Tried growing it here before, no luck, to cold, not enough sun...
        Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

Comment

Well, I guess we'll just have to trade some Scotch for Stevia then!
          Full on Primal family and loving it!!!
          This is going to be a big year for vitamins and minerals!

Comment

Keep yer stevia, you'll pry my scotch out of my dead cold hands
            (actully if you can get your hands on it, Stags breath honey whisky liqueur is lush!)

Comment

You could use xylitol, cup for cup instead of sugar if you need it for volume in the recipe.
              Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

xylitol caused us the worse GI issues ever~ which was to bad cause we liked the taste.

Comment

Yea, xylitol has caused me problems in the past so I'd not recommend it. I do use liquid vanilla creme stevia, which I LOVE! Of course, I"m trying to cut out my sweet tooth altogether so I won't need any sweetners in the future.
                  Good luck to ya

Comment

Browndog, don't expect stevia to give you the same taste results as sugar. Personally I hate the stuff - I think it has an awful after-taste - but that's a matter of opinion. I really like the taste of xylitol, it's very easy to use and I have no digestive problems with it, but some folks obviously do.
                    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

You could use xylitol, cup for cup instead of sugar if you need it for volume in the recipe. i think so,thanks

Comment

Hiya, I've used Xylitol in baking before but have just bought some Coconut Palm Sugar from Goodness Direct (in the UK). I bought it cos its apparently low GI (35?) and has a similar caramel taste as dark brown sugar - also caramelises like sugar when cooked so better for biscuits apparently.

I'm only just starting Primal again after a really hard time in life where I fell off the wagon. I haven't the strength to go cold turkey so am going gradual. I would hope longer term I feel less need for sweet 'primal' treats but for now they're helping with a gentle transgression!

H x
                        An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!

Comment

Hey thanks everyone for the replies some time next week al buy some stevia and try it out. When buying the book i dint realise there would be putting another form of sugar in otherwise i prob wouldn't have bought it but now i have it i may as well give a go.

Comment

On the rare occasions that I make an almond flour crust pumpkin pie, I use a tablespoon of pure maple syrup and then kick up the sweetness with a little purified stevia extract (the white powder with no bulking agents to make it spoonable). I find that stevia alone just doesn't taste right, but used with a small amount of real sugar, it's fine.

Comment

The xylitol from corn may be more irritating to the gut than the xylitol from the birch tree. Also, try to use less Xylitol than the 1:1 sugar ratio.

It may also be a good idea to blend the Xylitol crystals into a more finer powder.

Comment

Working...
                              X