Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

45+ Ladies - Has it been harder for you to lose on PB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Congratulations Louisa655, You are the first person in my 3 years on MDA to ever make me cry. I am the OP of the Eat More Fat threads. You know nothing of my life and the challenges I have faced. For the record I work out as hard at my gym as you do in your cross fit box. I have been faithful to the tenets of the Primal life. I happen to have a binge eating disorder that has interfered with fully realizing my goals

    I have never attacked anyone on these forums and was very upset that Choco was jumped on for imparting information based on his research and what has worked for him. A lot of what he says works for me too. I am doing the same thing in the EMF threads-sharing knowledge based on my research and n=1 experience. Maybe because I am still fat, no one should listen to me.

    I know that I should not have responded to this post because I have now made myself a target and possibly brought unwanted attention to the EMF thread. Unfortunately, I was taught to stand up to bullies.
    My fiancee and I have been reading the forums here (her more than me really) and decided to do the EMF thing. In the past month (2 weeks of which we have really tried to get more fat in our diet) she has lost 10lbs and I have lost nearly 20. Also, neither of us work out. It really does work... we feel fuller on less food... thus we don't binge eat.
    Louisa or whatever her name is... doesn't know what it is like to have a eating disorder and is completely ignorant. Brush that biatch off and do what works for you.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by Xeno View Post
      My fiancee and I have been reading the forums here (her more than me really) and decided to do the EMF thing. In the past month (2 weeks of which we have really tried to get more fat in our diet) she has lost 10lbs and I have lost nearly 20. Also, neither of us work out. It really does work... we feel fuller on less food... thus we don't binge eat.
      Louisa or whatever her name is... doesn't know what it is like to have a eating disorder and is completely ignorant. Brush that biatch off and do what works for you.
      Let me ask you this: are you eating more fat - isolated oils and high fat foods like nuts, bacon and chocolate - or are you eating more meat and vegetables?
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

      Comment


      • #93
        Louisa does tend to be pretty judgmental. When I was younger I didn't believe all the older women who said "just you wait until you are 40." Well, I turned 40 a while back and wow, they were right: my arms are too short (can't see for shit) and cardio doesn't work anymore.

        As for my advice on lifting, the SS book says add 10lbs every session. I think 5 for lower body is plenty for a woman and 2.5 or even 1 is plenty for upper-body lifts. It only works if you add more weight every session so you have to do whatever it takes, even if it's only 1lb more it's still more.

        It's totally the fountain of youth. You can judge my appearance all you want, but I feel energized, vital, young, strong, happy, joyful, awake and alive. I feel younger than I did when I was a teenager. At my age, I do what makes me feel good. I let my looks take care of themselves. People are way more attracted to and nicer toward people who radiate happiness and a vibrant aliveness.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
          Let me ask you this: are you eating more fat - isolated oils and high fat foods like nuts, bacon and chocolate - or are you eating more meat and vegetables?
          Chaco, just give it a rest, OK? It works for a lot of people. Why is that so hard for you to accept? You keep insisting on painting anyone eating a HFLC diet as swilling bottles of olive oil. That is just not happening anywhere other than your imagination. Puuhleeze.

          Comment


          • #95
            I feel like the forum has become predominantly HFLC, and that going over 50g carbs is a kind of primal blasphemy -- with the exception of the Potato threads.

            In my opinion, Choco* is trying to bring it back to simply eating whole foods. There's so much micromanaging and it seems to infect every thread, confusing newcomers -- and let's face it, everyone can stay to stay off the forums for the first few months, but lots are desperate enough to tweak things they shouldn't have to and get an information overload.

            *Random, but since i've joined, I've always wondered if that A in Chaco is added to annoy him more, or if it's a subconscious combo of Choco + Taco ... like "brunch".

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              That is just not happening anywhere other than your imagination. Puuhleeze.
              Ah, I thought I must be imagining the folks taking shots of tasteless oil and adding butter, coconut oil, and other such things to their coffee. Whew.


              And yes, it does work for a lot of people, and I am not knocking it or them. Yet, let's not pretend that there are not some (many) adding oil/butter/etc to things just for macros-sake.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                Ah, I thought I must be imagining the folks taking shots of tasteless oil and adding butter, coconut oil, and other such things to their coffee. Whew.


                And yes, it does work for a lot of people, and I am not knocking it or them. Yet, let's not pretend that there are not some (many) adding oil/butter/etc to things just for macros-sake.
                The people doing oil shots are doing the Shangri-La thing on some idea that it will adjust your "setpoint". IMO, that is not a great way to do it but whatever floats yer boat. I totally agree with Chaco's OFT stated mantra of "eat real foods". Who doesn't? And I have also spoken out to say that BP coffee may be great for sherpas working long hard hours in sub freezing temps but for desk jockeys, it might not be a good idea if overdone.

                My point was that Chaco keeps creating this strawman of some oil guzzling ideology to rail against when many HFLC folks such as me do eat real foods.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                  My point was that Chaco keeps creating this strawman of some oil guzzling ideology to rail against when many HFLC folks such as me do eat real foods.
                  I understand completly. My point was that the added oil tendencies of some are easy to use as a detraction from HFLC. Not that this makes what they are doing wrong. It just doesn't float my boat. Thankfully n=1 is alive and well

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    Chaco, just give it a rest, OK? It works for a lot of people. Why is that so hard for you to accept? You keep insisting on painting anyone eating a HFLC diet as swilling bottles of olive oil. That is just not happening anywhere other than your imagination. Puuhleeze.
                    It doesn't work for the reasons why people think it works, so it matters. Sometimes, it's not enough to just do something. Sometimes, people want to know why it works. I assume that's why people come to the forums - they're not satisfied with the finite information in the book and they want to dig deeper.

                    I don't think you understand what a high fat diet is. A truly high fat diet - 60-70% calories from fat - isn't exactly natural. You can't do that without supplementing with oils and higher fat processed foods (shredded coconut, coconut milk, nut butters, etc). If you actually just eat without thinking, you'll probably fall in the 40% range. Is 40% calories from fat high fat? Maybe compared to AHA guidelines, but IMO it's pretty moderate.
                    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Nivanthe View Post
                      *Random, but since i've joined, I've always wondered if that A in Chaco is added to annoy him more, or if it's a subconscious combo of Choco + Taco ... like "brunch".
                      I probably have this same username spread over 20 different forums over the past 15 years and without fail there are always lots of people that throw that "a" in there. I don't know where it comes from. There must be a common form of dyslexia or something that is very widespread. I barely even notice anymore.

                      The funny thing is I've never had a Choco Taco in my life. I've always wanted to try one...maybe I should just give in.
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                        My point was that Chaco keeps creating this strawman of some oil guzzling ideology to rail against when many HFLC folks such as me do eat real foods.
                        Really? Have you not seen the hundreds of threads about people eating straight coconut oil, blending entire sticks of butter in their coffee, eating Kerrygold by the slice, using pork rinds as tortilla chip substitutes and spooning bacon grease on food just because?

                        This is commonplace. You are not going to eat 60+% calories from fat naturally. You have to go out of your way to do it unless you're going so subsist solely on fried eggs. Very few real meats contain 60% calories from fat, and no, bacon is not real meat. It's junk with no nutritional value. Sure, it tastes great, but let's call it what it is. Too many people on this site are on the buttered coffee, bacon, nut butter and dark chocolate diet. Maybe that's why they stall? Again, too much focus on fat content, not enough focus on real food. If we focused on a whole foods message instead of some HFLC hogwash, not only would we all be better nourished but probably a lot thinner, too.
                        Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 02-15-2013, 12:18 PM.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Nivanthe View Post
                          I feel like the forum has become predominantly HFLC, and that going over 50g carbs is a kind of primal blasphemy -- with the exception of the Potato threads.

                          In my opinion, Choco* is trying to bring it back to simply eating whole foods. There's so much micromanaging and it seems to infect every thread, confusing newcomers -- and let's face it, everyone can stay to stay off the forums for the first few months, but lots are desperate enough to tweak things they shouldn't have to and get an information overload.

                          *Random, but since i've joined, I've always wondered if that A in Chaco is added to annoy him more, or if it's a subconscious combo of Choco + Taco ... like "brunch".
                          Honestly, I don't see that there is a predominance towards HFLC.

                          While there is a certain subset of people who it works for, and who prefer it, there are also lots of people doing moderate carb, and even higher carb such as PHD which included a pound of starch daily.
                          And I would say that the HFLC subgroup is by far the smaller one here on MDA.
                          Those topics just don't generate the attention because no one argues against them.
                          (except perhaps in the context that people did argue about eating ALL potatoes for weeks at a time)
                          It is very well accepted that different levels of fats/proteins/carbs work for different people UNTIL you get to the HFLC issue, then there is this contentious attitude that people who feel better on it are "wrong".


                          The Choco/Chaco spelling issue...
                          I don't ever think it's misspelled on purpose to annoy him.
                          I'm pretty sure it is subconscious where they are simply making they first half of the name reflect the second half in spelling because phonetically it SOUNDS the same.
                          When you say "Choco Taco" ("choco" as in chocolate taco BTW, it's an ice cream snack thing):
                          You say: Cha-ko Ta-ko not: Cho-ko Ta-ko.


                          Edit: "buttered coffee, bacon, nut butter and dark chocolate" ... FYI- I don't eat any of those foods.
                          For people who do those certainly are not the staples, and if they use them in moderation within their caloric allotment... you should probably go pound sand.
                          Last edited by cori93437; 02-15-2013, 12:36 PM.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                          Comment


                          • I think it comes from Chaco sandals. They're kinda in the lexicon now.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                            Comment


                            • Well... I'll take the challenge

                              Eggs come in at 63%

                              Pork Belly Its not bacon...its belly! 92%

                              Mmmmm ribeye so 72%

                              gound beef
                              59%, but factor in I buy 75/25 from wellness meats which actually bumps fat to 77%

                              So without looking them all up we can say most any rib will make the list pork spare ribs, back ribs, beef ribs....basically most bone in hunks of meat. Chicken thighs and bone in pieces with skin attached make the list too.
                              Most all the pieces I choose have 60+ from fat. I really do think it beneficial for people to choose the bone in fatty cuts on purpose. These cuts essentially render the constituents of bone broth right into the meat WHILE you slow cook them. And the fat to protein ratio of approximately 2/1 is optimal.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                                Well... I'll take the challenge

                                Eggs come in at 63%

                                Pork Belly Its not bacon...its belly! 92%

                                Mmmmm ribeye so 72%

                                gound beef
                                59%, but factor in I buy 75/25 from wellness meats which actually bumps fat to 77%

                                So without looking them all up we can say most any rib will make the list pork spare ribs, back ribs, beef ribs....basically most bone in hunks of meat. Chicken thighs and bone in pieces with skin attached make the list too.
                                Most all the pieces I choose have 60+ from fat. I really do think it beneficial for people to choose the bone in fatty cuts on purpose. These cuts essentially render the constituents of bone broth right into the meat WHILE you slow cook them. And the fat to protein ratio of approximately 2/1 is optimal.
                                This.

                                I like cultured dairy too... and that can be delicious and up in the 70+% fat range.
                                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X