This is messed up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is messed up

Surely something is seriously wrong when the kindy hands a letter to all the parents saying they need to bring a piece of fruit (even has no processed or canned fruit in brackets) for fruit break.
    Don't all parents send fruit to school? Even ones who follow cw?

Maybe its not so strange. I knew about it, so they must have told us at some point anyway.
    Last edited by Ayla2010; 02-13-2013, 12:26 AM.

no. sometimes i dont bother. i get very sick of throwing uneaten squashed fruit away on a daily basis. too much fructose is not such a good thing.

Comment

I'll send a chunk of liver carved into an apple shape if it makes them happy.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
        Don't all parents send fruit to school? Even ones who follow cw?
        I highly doubt it.
        Snacktime when I was a kid usually featured Little Debbie snackcakes. I used to have some anger at my parents for stuff like that, but I've gotten over it since it's really pointless now that I'm well into my 20s. Not to mention every other kid's parents gave them that as well, and the last thing I wanted to be was the odd one out.
        Even times when the teachers provided snacks for special occasions it'd be cheap, highly processed, sugary junkfood. Talk about growing up in a toxic environment!

Comment

Oh your kids don't like it?
          I always send an apple and some strawberries or one other.
          Not a huge amount of fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
            I'll send a chunk of liver carved into an apple shape if it makes them happy.
            Ha I wish I could get him to eat liver.

Comment

my kids sometimes do and sometimes dont but organic fruit is way too expensive to just bin. i'd rather keep it for home when i can feed it to them for a snack or dessert. apples arent so bad as i can always give the leftovers to the horse. not that she needs the fructose either.

Comment

I don't blame you, thnkfully mine like it.

Comment

in our kindy, they say the same -- but this is for shared fruit. The kids cut it up and have a fruit picnic. They also have rice balls or buns (gluten free) which they make, and they also have their own lunches. Our letter says which days are rice and which are buns, that fruit needs to be sent or a gold coin donation given, and that lunch is to be packed.

I don't think it's necessarily because parents are not sending snacks or fruit.

Comment

Maybe its just not so weird after all.

Comment

one word: durian!
                      6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
                      ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

??

Comment

We used to have to bring fruit to Kinder so the parent helpers could cut it up and serve it to all the kids! That would be their morning tea. So to me, supplying fruit for kinder is normal .

At school though... the kids sometimes take fruit, and sometimes not! It depends what they feel like. I'd also rather they not waste it, or find it squashed in their bags!

Comment

Depends on the kid.
                            If the parent doesn't even try and eat healthily (CW or otherwise), it's almost guaranteed that the kid's getting cake or chocolate of some sort for their snack.
                            If the parent does, you have other snacks that may be provided for a healthy kid if they don't like fruit or if fruit gets too battered before it's eaten: jerky, hard-boiled egg, nuts, celery/carrot sticks, cheese... As a kid I LOVED apples, s they were my go-to snack (raised Vegan too, which, whilst healthier than junk-food, limited choice a bit) but some kids couldn't stand fruit or just didn't feel like eating it sometimes. Half of them got out some horror-packet of crisps or other junk and the rest would have nuts or sliced meat or cheese (usually with bread or crackers, but hey-ho, better than the crisp kids...).
                            --
                            Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                            I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                            I'd apologize, but...

Comment

I was pretty rarely packed fruit as a snack when I was a kid. It was usually a combination of store bought Little Debbie's or Hostess snack cakes and homemade baked goods like cinnamon rolls, muffins, or cookies. I'm not sure I would have ever eaten the fruit if there was also a Zebra Cake and some chocolate chip cookies in my lunchbox. I'm not sure why my mother didn't try to pack healthier things, because even CW can agree that packaged snack cakes and the like aren't exactly healthy, but I've mostly given up trying to understand her way of thinking anyway at this point. She's the one who still serves my diabetic father heaping portions of pasta and bread every night for dinner after all...

Comment

Working...
                              X