Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VITAMIN D - Adverse reactions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VITAMIN D - Adverse reactions.

    Hey all,

    Been trying to up my Vitamin D lately and am getting some odd side effects. The second I take it I start having problems breathing, such as an inability to take a deep breath. My angular chelitis flares up and I start feeling a bit different. I take Nature's Answer (drops, 2,000 IU per drop), and about 2-4000 iu's a day. I stopped taking them for a bit and decided to give it a try again, with the same reaction..

    I had my levels tested over 3-4 months ago and they came back around 48. I haven't really supplemented since, and this was when I was out in the sun a lot. Maybe it's something to do with the added ingredients?? Thoughts?

    -Ryan

  • #2
    Try a different brand, it may well be something in the liquid carrier. I SERIOUSLY doubt it's the Vitamin D or you'd have the same reaction on a sunny day (where you can self-produce up to 20,000 IU).

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, I'd try another brand because 'reactions' as you're experiencing almost always are due to whatever 'filler' is used. I use Carlson's VitD3 capsules because I've heard that they are the 'purest.'

      Comment


      • #4
        Are you allergic to wool, by any chance?

        Most vitamin D is synthesized from lanolin, which is what people who are allergic to wool are actually allergic to.

        The not breathing thing- that's bad. Don't play around with that. Seriously

        Comment


        • #5
          You are going to need to supplement with Magnesium. My doctor, when recommending supplements to me, said that many folks get bad reactions to vitamin D because their bodies can't use up all of the mg in the dosage. Magnesium helps your body absorb and utilize the vitamin D.

          Vitamin D & Magnesium Interaction | LIVESTRONG.COM

          I take 1000mg of vitamin D and a 250mg supplement daily.
          >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
          >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

          >> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
          >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

          Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Croak View Post
            Try a different brand, it may well be something in the liquid carrier. I SERIOUSLY doubt it's the Vitamin D or you'd have the same reaction on a sunny day (where you can self-produce up to 20,000 IU).
            True..On a sunny day, during the summer, if I laid out in the sun I felt great. But, if I did it too long it would make me tired..Sometimes I would get a weird rash on my body and spleen pain..You could definitely be right. I use" Nature's Answer, Vitamin D-3 Drops, 4000 IU, 15 ml - iHerb.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by emmie View Post
              Yes, I'd try another brand because 'reactions' as you're experiencing almost always are due to whatever 'filler' is used. I use Carlson's VitD3 capsules because I've heard that they are the 'purest.'
              That's the brand I use at the moment, here's a link: Nature's Answer, Vitamin D-3 Drops, 4000 IU, 15 ml - iHerb.com

              Originally posted by mrsean1999 View Post
              Are you allergic to wool, by any chance?

              I have no idea...Maybe? The Vit D I use says the only other ingredient is EVOO. Unless the D itself is from wool. Never knew lanolin was from wool? Am I interpreting that correct?

              Most vitamin D is synthesized from lanolin, which is what people who are allergic to wool are actually allergic to.

              The not breathing thing- that's bad. Don't play around with that. Seriously
              So, I have to look for a lanolin free Vit D?? Any recommendations? I use: Nature's Answer, Vitamin D-3 Drops, 4000 IU, 15 ml - iHerb.com
              Originally posted by MissJecka View Post
              You are going to need to supplement with Magnesium. My doctor, when recommending supplements to me, said that many folks get bad reactions to vitamin D because their bodies can't use up all of the mg in the dosage. Magnesium helps your body absorb and utilize the vitamin D.

              Vitamin D & Magnesium Interaction | LIVESTRONG.COM

              I take 1000mg of vitamin D and a 250mg supplement daily.

              So, you're saying Vit D & Mg are synergistic? I guess that could be why I get such odd reactions then..I'm thinking now that it's either the Mg factor or the fact that it's from Lanolin..I don't get this bad of a reaction when in the sun..I'll look into Mg then. You take 1000 IU's of Vit D and 250mg of Mg per day?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Zelli88 View Post
                So, you're saying Vit D & Mg are synergistic? I guess that could be why I get such odd reactions then..I'm thinking now that it's either the Mg factor or the fact that it's from Lanolin..I don't get this bad of a reaction when in the sun..I'll look into Mg then. You take 1000 IU's of Vit D and 250mg of Mg per day?
                My doctor was the one who told me about D3 and Mg synergy, and I did some online research before spending the money on both supplements, which included the link I provided. And, yes, I take 1000 IU of D3 and 250mg of Mg daily, usually in the evenings because I can easily remember to take it with dinner. This is based on my doctor's recommendation because of my stats (I'm darker-skinned, work in a windowless office, and live very north in the northern hemisphere - all of which basically screw me when it comes to getting Vitamin D the natural sun-soaking way). Your needs may be different.
                >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

                >> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

                Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MissJecka View Post
                  My doctor was the one who told me about D3 and Mg synergy, and I did some online research before spending the money on both supplements, which included the link I provided. And, yes, I take 1000 IU of D3 and 250mg of Mg daily, usually in the evenings because I can easily remember to take it with dinner. This is based on my doctor's recommendation because of my stats (I'm darker-skinned, work in a windowless office, and live very north in the northern hemisphere - all of which basically screw me when it comes to getting Vitamin D the natural sun-soaking way). Your needs may be different.
                  I see. Well, I live in Ohio, barely outside, and I'm lightly skinned. I may retry Vit D, but I think it may be a mixture of the Mg and it being from Lanolin..I do have low testosterone, and I know D and testosterone are related. What improvements have you experienced since using them together?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Zelli88 View Post
                    I see. Well, I live in Ohio, barely outside, and I'm lightly skinned. I may retry Vit D, but I think it may be a mixture of the Mg and it being from Lanolin..I do have low testosterone, and I know D and testosterone are related. What improvements have you experienced since using them together?
                    I notice I don't get cramps as often (thanks to the Mg, I guess), which is good for me because I was very prone to getting charley horses in the middle of the night, as well as when I swim. I'm swimming 3 days per week and I used to cramp up in my ribs and calf at least once per week - now, not at all in the past 4 times I've swam laps.

                    The D3 effects... I'm not sure. I have acne and oily skin... so I don't know if this will affect that at all. I guess I'll find that out in future blood work when I can compare to where I was before the supplements.
                    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

                    >> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

                    Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MissJecka View Post
                      I notice I don't get cramps as often (thanks to the Mg, I guess), which is good for me because I was very prone to getting charley horses in the middle of the night, as well as when I swim. I'm swimming 3 days per week and I used to cramp up in my ribs and calf at least once per week - now, not at all in the past 4 times I've swam laps.

                      The D3 effects... I'm not sure. I have acne and oily skin... so I don't know if this will affect that at all. I guess I'll find that out in future blood work when I can compare to where I was before the supplements.
                      I see. When I was eating a crap ton of sunflower seeds (high in Mg), I felt pretty good! Gained some much needed weight (went from 133-140 lbs in 2 weeks) too. Maybe it was the magnesium in them. I stopped them because I'm doing an elimination diet to see how I feel.

                      As for the D3, I'm going to try a different D3, which I just ordered via amazon. It has no lanolin in it, so I wanna see if it was the lanolin I was reacting too. I'll get it tomorrow so I'll keep everyone posted how I react to it. It's from Solgar and is derived from fish oil, rather than sheep wool (lanolin).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hey everyone,

                        I received my new D3 derived from fish oil in the mail and have been taking it for a couple days now. I have NOT been having the same reaction with this D3 as the other form, which was derived from lanolin. I'm breathing and feeling better since taking it. With the D3 derived from lanolin, I was having extreme breathing complications immediately after taking it.

                        The one I used to take was from Nature's Answer, was 2000IU's a serving (1 drop), derived from Lanolin. The one I take now is from Solgar, derived from fish oil, and has 1000IU per capsule.

                        So, as a warning to those who THINK they're allergic or respond badly to D3, try using a different form of D3. Perhaps you're sensitive to wool, which is what lanolin is derived from. Also, I've been taking 300mg of Magnesium with my 2000IU's of D3 and notice this seems to help a lot more with an overall better feeling. My dandruff is going away, and I have more strength and energy.

                        Let me know if anyone has any questions.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks for the update! Glad to see you've got it solved.
                          >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                          >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

                          >> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                          >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

                          Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X