Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beachgirl View Post
    xntrik,
    Not sustainable for individuals, the benefits of primal not lasting. They said, you get initial benefits of weight loss, good blood numbers, but they don't last. The weight comes back they say and fatigue, LDL numbers not good, etc. Hence my question about long-term. Also, to a lesser degree the earth.
    Hi Beachgirl. I never really understand why people think that. The concept of "eat lots of vegetables, animals, and bugs," and getting them from wholesome sources (farms instead of CAFO, the sea rather than "farmed," organic rather than treated with chemical pesticide) is sensible, logical (good food = good health), and hardly radical.

The most "radical" concept of this way of eating is getting rid of grains and legumes. I find this no more radical than claiming we need the majority of our diet from these two groups of "foods." Taking the time to really look at the nutritional "value" of these two groups of foods shows you that they are pretty much a terrible way to get both macros and micros without getting fat.

If you look at the way people ate just 50 years ago, we adhered to a three meals a day model - not six small meals which never sate. Snacking was for children mostly (often two cookies after school) and then those children went out to play before dinner was ready - they didn't sit in front of a screen. 50 years ago, about 10% of the population was overweight. And the foods we ate, were largely wholesome.

Obesity in this country (and as always, we led the pack) started to climb with the proliferation of:
    -processed (convenience) foods
    -fast food
    -CAFO foods being the majority of what was available to the average consumer (only CAFO chicken was prevalent until about the 1970s)
    -produce shipped an average of 1500 miles before the consumer gets it (loses nutrients every mile it travels, and some estimates are that the nutrients in veggies that our grandparents ate have decreased by up to 40%)
    -HFCS and soy becoming ubiquitous in the food supply.

Add to that, a government that told us fat was bad (the same govt that declared catsup a vegetable back in the mid 70s) and that eating like rabbits was better, and obviously (to me anyway), what's not sustainable to the individual is what we've been doing for the last 30+ years.

Anyway, that's my take on it. For me, this is like moving forward to the past, when food actually fostered health instead of being the cause of disease.

I won't go into the sustainability of farm vs CAFO here, but there's plenty of info if you google. The govt has their side, and the whole foods people have theirs. I encourage you to look at both.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I'm turning 53 on 2/27/13. I was a poster boy for Metabolic Syndrome - high blood pressure, gout, pot belly, finally culminating in Type II Diabetes with a blood glucose level of over 500 and triglycerides of 1100. Turned PB on 9/15/11, or as we call it, my "RE-Birthday!". I lost 75 pounds, went off all but one of the ten pills I was taking everyday. I just switched around my diet last week to a 70% fat/20% protein/10% carb. Used to eat more protein, but it was stalling my weight loss. Oh yeah, I ran the Warrior Dash with my son last August - surprised him that I ran with him the whole way! I work out - walk/lift heavy objects/sprint - 5 to 7 times a week. My wife tells all her friends that's she having an affair with another man! My wife's cousin felt me all over last month - she couldn't believe who I was and that I didn't have folds of loose skin all over me!

Primal = good!
      Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
      2/16/13 at 241 pounds
      Goal is 223 pounds or less

Comment

59 New Years Day. Primal since 01/01/12. I was trying to lose weight with some success all through 2011 with calorie restriction. Since primal have lost 50 pounds. I had been on sulfa meds for 25 years to treat Colitis. By month 2 all the Colitis symptoms were gone and I have been med free ever since. Blood panel is perfect, snoring has all but disappeared I suspect because nasal passages are not swollen and inflamed. I also had tinnitus in my right ear and after 6 months or so it is gone. Interestingly my GI and GP doctors are at a loss to explain my improved condition. I was told for years that diet had nothing to do with my conditions!

My workouts are always different with lots of body weight exercise, dynamic movement and running 15 miles or so a week. Bottom line is I feel absolutely fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Beachgirl View Post
          xntrik,
          Not sustainable for individuals, the benefits of primal not lasting. They said, you get initial benefits of weight loss, good blood numbers, but they don't last. The weight comes back they say and fatigue, LDL numbers not good, etc. Hence my question about long-term. Also, to a lesser degree the earth.
          This is the sort of stuff I've heard from vegans too. And look at them! I've now known 3 vegans who have become so ill they have HAD to go back to eating meat. So far, I've not heard of the opposite?

My GP and asthma nurse have been asking what on earth I've been doing to lose so much weight, improve BP so much and no longer need steroids. And my asthma nurse is - vegan! (I must say though - she does look the picture of health. Only one I've seen who does, but give her her dues - the picture of health.)

Don't argue with them - just be a living example!

Comment

I've watched this argument for at least a year. Originally it meant that a primal way of eating was not sustainable for the earth's population, or even the U.S. population. This is true. To enable everyone to eat primally we'd have to reduce the population very significantly. And I think that would be a good thing.

But the factors promoting a large population, at least in the U.S., are the Gov'ts, BigAgi, BigPharma, etc. and I have no intention of dying while trying to convert them. I'm not going to live that long.
            "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

DH and I are both 50. We didn't have any serious health issues - yet - but we knew it was only a matter of time before our weight caught up to us. DH lost 45 lbs last year and I've lost 65. We feel 20 years younger. I feel quite certain that my weight loss would have been much harder, maybe even impossible, if I hadn't discovered primal eating.

Originally posted by Go Tribe View Post
              My wife tells all her friends that's she having an affair with another man! My wife's cousin felt me all over last month - she couldn't believe who I was and that I didn't have folds of loose skin all over me!
              I know exactly what your wife is talking about. What kind of treat is it to discover you're married to man-candy in middle age? For a couple months toward the end of last year, I would catch a glimpse of DH and think, "Who is that strange man walking through my kitchen?" Even with his sort of half hearted approach to exercise and weight lifting, he looks better even than when we met. He hasn't admitted to any women trying to feel him up though, lol.
              50yo, 5'3"
              SW-195
              CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
              GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

53, started primal 3 yrs ago. I didn't realize I had any health problems other than some extra weight. I was looking ahead at family members that have a whole slew of health problems. I'd been steadily gaining a little weight over the yrs and I thought if I continue on this trajectory I will be where my other family members are in 10 yrs. Went primal and lost 25 lbs, but what I didn't realize is that I had been living with less than optimal health. Now my joints feel great, I no longer have migraines, no more insomnia, no longer have to eat every 2 hrs and I am stronger than I've ever been. I can now do push-ups and chin-ups, that's something I never thought I'd be able to do!
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I'll be 56 in 3 months.

I've been about 60-70% "primal" my whole life without realizing what it was called until the past few years. I was raised on meat and veg with occasional potatoes (usually with Sunday dinner), and only had bread as a school kid for my school lunch. Over the last four years or so I've gradually become more primal, and now am about 90-95%. I found the Primal Blueprint two years ago and was happy to see that there's a name for my craziness!

I've never had a weight problem. My blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar have always been ideal. I look around 10-15 years younger than I am. The only medication I've ever needed is thyroid hormone because I've had thyroid surgery. My fitness level is better than 98% of the general population.

Perhaps primal isn't sustainable for the Earth, but for me it's completely sustainable. I don't think it's sustainable for my doctor's income, either, as I only go in for yearly check-ups!

Comment

I'll be 51 in a couple of weeks. Been low carb since 47 and Primal since 48. I've gone from 210lbs and a size 16 to 145 and a size 6.
                    My skin, energy level, mood, alertness, and just general overall health are awesome and getting better all the time.

Comment

I'm 48, and frankly the idea of 50 being old seems ridiculous.

I'ma have to kick someone's ass!

Comment

Working...
                      X