Dealing with temptation at work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Purple Leather Couch View Post
    Careful heatseeker and itchy166 - there was just a thread on this exact thing and the OP was flamed for having "un-nice thoughts"
    Not my personal opinion - I do the same thing. Just pointing out that some people on here don't like that we share these thoughts on this forum.
    Thanks. I saw the thread you are talking about and will take my chances. My post could be read in two ways - tons of bad food, or tons of overweight people. One is an example of a SAD diet, the other is the result of that diet. No judgement call here - I've eaten a SAD diet for years Personally I didn't end up too overweight, but I sure was starting to develop other health issues.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

Originally posted by DinoHunter View Post
      Picture the top of the muffin spliting open and hundereds of cockroachs(or whatever creepness does it for you) spilling out and running around spitting and pooping on all the rest of the icky food.
      Your welcome
      Oh my god... you just reminded me of a hypnosis video my sister used to play when she was trying to lose weight...

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      Stop going to work. It's not primal at all.
      Originally posted by whitebear View Post
      This is how I feel but just can't seem to convince my wife.
      Lol.
      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

If I were the sort of person who could eat one mini bar of chocolate from the co-worker's desk every few months, I wouldn't worry about it at all. But I'm not. I'm the sort of person who uses the first mini bar as a gateway drug. After that first mini bar, I eat quite a few more, because they're there and I'm bored/ restless/ annoyed/ (insert excuse here) and as we know, eating sugar leads to cravings for more sugar. Before you know it, I have eaten the equivalent of several full-size candy bars for no reason and I am making resolutions to eat healthy tomorrow and ever further into the future ("Today's shot... I'll try again next Wednesday. Yup, definitely next Wednesday.") I have discovered that it is much easier not to eat the first mini bar to begin with than to start making these stupid bargains with myself. It really is!

Also, a lot of those office "indulgences" aren't even that good to begin with. Do you really want your splurge item to be a stale leftover muffin from a meeting? There are primal foods that taste way better than that! (Hello, berries and heavy cream...)

Comment

Originally posted by itchy166 View Post
          Thanks. I saw the thread you are talking about and will take my chances. My post could be read in two ways - tons of bad food, or tons of overweight people. One is an example of a SAD diet, the other is the result of that diet. No judgement call here - I've eaten a SAD diet for years Personally I didn't end up too overweight, but I sure was starting to develop other health issues.
          Oh me too!! I was total SAD, not considerably overweight, but certainly on my way to getting there with a nonexistent willpower and tendency to binge.
          I work for a health care company - and you would be shocked at how many of my co-workers are unhealthy and overweight. Now, I have a daily reminder of how dangerous and unhealthy I could be if I backslide.

To the OP: I work in an office setting too. I just don't indulge, ever. I 100% abstain from eating snacks/party food at work. And we have an obscene amount of food around at all times (seriously, every other freakin' day it's someone else's birthday or corporate had ice cream/cake/cookies/food brought in or a co-worker brought in candy/cookies/brownies for everyone). Aaaaand the vending machine is right outside my office.
          Now, I absolutely indulge when I am home or out socially. But I made it a rule that I just never do at work - mainly because I do not have control over what the "cheat" item is - I am at the mercy of whomever is throwing the office party that day. If I cheat, I want it to be a real treat - not some dried schlock parading as cake with subpar icing (I'd rather go to my favorite pie shop and get a real slice of delicious, home-baked pie). See what I'm saying??

Just say no!

Comment

Not a problem for me. I am fine with 100% avoidance. I run into problems with a 95% avoidance plan. So I just categorize stuff in the office as "food" or "not food" and never eat the "not food" because, well, it's not food.

Comment

That's NOT Food (to me)

Originally posted by Leida View Post
              Every time you say 'no', the next 'no' becomes easier. That's been my experience. Plus, I have an over-inflated ego in regards to my cooking talents, so after a while the goodies stopped being food - I have developed a deep mistrust of anything that anyone else makes (I mean I do not experience a desire to eat paper towels, do I?). It is never as perfect as what I make! The only downside is that the only time I can't dodge the bullet is when I bake myself. That doesn't happen too often, so I indulge and try not to feel like I am committing a Nutritional Crime.
              First, as Leida says, it should get easier over time if you keep saying no. For me, the trick was to focus on "That's NOT Food". Sometimes, I would say "That's not food to me", to be less judging of others, but as long as I am not saying it out loud, I have simplified it to "That's not food".
              It is amazing how much less you want to eat something when you concentrate on the fact that what you are looking at is not food.

Second, eat good meals. A good breakfast, and a good lunch allow me to get through the day without wanting to eat other things, especially "not food".

Finally, consider having a better alternative available if you really want to eat something instead of the "not food" that is being offered.

Comment

Make the rule, that you don't eat what you did not bring. Make it known to the office. You don't have to be obnoxious about it, just mention your rule when offered snacks. Once you have told 3-4 people, they will quit offering and start reminding you of the rule when you start looking over offerings...at least that has been my experience.
                Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
                Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Comment

Go brush your teeth when you start looking at the poison of your coworkers. I very rarley like to eat after brushing makes everything taste icky.

Comment

One thing I've found helpful is keeping some extremely hot hot sauce on hand and swirling it around in my mouth. It kills cravings easily for sweets and also curbs appetite in general. i use ghost pepper hot sauce and dont swallow so i numb the taste buds but dont hurt the stomach.

Comment

Holy crap, BurritoJimmy, that's certainly one way to go about it! I think I have to count myself lucky that my willpower keeps me away from the sweets most of the time, and I don't have to swish ghost pepper hot sauce! I would be crying all the time!

Comment

"Do you guys mind if I move this stuff to the breakroom. Okay cool, thanks."

Done.

Comment

Originally posted by BurritoJimmy View Post
                          One thing I've found helpful is keeping some extremely hot hot sauce on hand and swirling it around in my mouth. It kills cravings easily for sweets and also curbs appetite in general. i use ghost pepper hot sauce and dont swallow so i numb the taste buds but dont hurt the stomach.
                          lmao like that dude from the movie War Inc?

Comment

Originally posted by BurritoJimmy View Post
                            Awesome idea! I'm going to go find me some ghost pepper hot sauce. I love spicy food, but I don't think I've ever had ghost peppers before. I've heard that it is unpleasantly spicy, even for those who like spicy food.

My journal

Comment

I totally sympathize with the OP! My office always, always has free food - sandwiches, cookies, cakes, etc. I work at a consumer goods manufacturer and we make blenders, slow-cookers, and other kitchen appliances so there is always a cake baking or chicken being breaded and deep-fried. It's tough at times, especially when the smell of cake comes wafting down the hall!

As many have already said, I am prepared at work with lots of snacks at my desk. Also, the vending machine at my office has things like pistachios and beef jerky, if I happen to forget my snacks at home or run out.
                              >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                              >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                              >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

I use the 'not food' trick when I am walking through certain sections in the grocery store, but to have it close to me all day...I think I would bring out the big guns.

How about an aversion technique: Take a big smell of the treats. Then smell something you find disgusting(cigarette ashes would do it for me, and sadly, very easy to find). Imagine both those smells together, and as tastes in your mouth. Repeat several times a day until the treat smell automatically makes the other one spring to mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X