Is cheese on your Primal plate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is cheese on your Primal plate?

I love cheese, folks. I generally opt for and prefer the good stuff -- however that may be defined -- but have been known to find joy in lower class iterations, as well.

As a brand-newbie to the Primal diet, I'd love to know if you include the humble cheese in your personal repertoire (and what kind), or if it's a foodstuff on your "no-go" list...

Love cheese! I eat mainly Kerrygold cheeses, goat cheese, sheep's milk pecorino-romano, and raw milk artisan cheeses, both local and imported.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Comment

I love cheese, but as it's pretty calorie dense, I don't just snack on it right now. I probably don't have more than an ounce at a time and not every day. It's more of a condiment for me. I feel like meat is a better calorie investment for me ATM. If you have fat calories to burn, have at it! I would, lol!
      50yo, 5'3"
      SW-195
      CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
      GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

No cheese or any other dairy (except whipping cream) for me while I'm trying to drop weight and keep my skin clear of funky rashes. On rare occasions I will get some goat cheese. My daughter is also avoiding cheese to control acne. She says that when she does eat some, she gets a headache.
        As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Comment

I have 100-150g of cheese with a generous glass of red wine most evenings as dessert. It is a great source of Vitamin K2 and balances my wife's tendency to low fat cooking. I have a range of cheeses including aged cheddar, manchego, tilsit, provolone, pecorino, stilton, soft blue, brie, and soft goat's cheese
          Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Cheese isn't banned for us, but our consumption of it has gone down *dramatically*, basically because the type of meals we cook has changed.
            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Yes, I include cheese in my diet... couldn't live without it. I also include other dairy... butter, sour cream, and heavy cream. Dairy is definitely a staple of my diet.

Comment

I include it, but really just don't use it much. I get good aged cheddar and parmigiano is always on hand along with some crumbled goat cheese for salads. All in all I go through like 4 oz a week max though.

Comment

Normally - i seldom have cheese and when I do I have a small portion.
                  This weekend was another story. I had too much of sharp white cheddar, cream cheese and sour cream. The last two I don't even like, so go figure
                  But if i have to pick favorites, I'd have to say white cheddar and swiss.

Comment

Nope. I am not too fond of cheese and even though I eat dairy and salty foods, nothing makes me bloat up like a few slices of cheese. I can dump a few tablespoon of miso paste into my soup and be fine, but a piece of salty cheese will make me retain 3 pounds in water weight for several days.
                    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Yes, I eat cheese, but I try to include it with recipes only.

If I start snacking on raw cheese then I tend to overeat.
                      My site: Authority Nutrition - My Twitter: @AuthNutrition

Comment

It is and it isn't.

DS has any dairy he wants. He usually gets raw yogurt and organic cheddar cheese. DH and I consume butter, but everything else is "special occasion."

At our winter celebration (in June), we get some fancy cheese and eat it. We love good cheese. And then we have gelato every now and again (more in summer -- so now -- than the rest of the year).

Otherwise, we only use butter regularly (daily, really), but all other dairy is off the menu. DH is working through some gut issues, and I'm a bit lactose intolerant. Besides that, it's ridiculously expensive here in NZ. And by that I mean insanely expensive for cheese.

Comment

I went dairy-free for a short while to test for intolerance. Apart from homogenized milk, everything else was fine. I'd suggest doing the same for at least a week, just in case.

If you're tolerant: Just make sure your cheese lists a maximum of three ingredients: milk, maybe salt, maybe live bacteria/fungus. If it lists none at all there's a good chance it's 100% milk. Most orange-coloured ones are dyed, so skip them. Avoid "American cheese", "cheese product" or "cheese slices", as they're more processed forms of dairy.
                          Also bear in mind that many cheeses are kept in ways to speed up the formation of curds and general solidification, meaning a factory can make a 6 month cheese in 3 months. These processes may or may not leave residue on the cheese, as they vary from warmer rooms to chemical additives.

Basically: if the ingredients list says "Milk.", go ahead and eat some.
                          Last edited by Kochin; 02-11-2013, 04:31 AM.
                          --
                          Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                          I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                          I'd apologize, but...

Comment

I love cheese! My main ones are brie, cheddar, emmenthaler and mozarella.
                            When I buy one, I usually eat it quite fast, but then it'll usually be a while before I buy again.

Comment

I love cheese. The only cheese in my house is Kerrygold. I get it by the block at Costco and it keeps quite well. Because I'm trying to shed a few pounds, I measure it out an ounce or two and stick to that. I like it in a salad for my protein.

Comment

Working...
                              X