Pomegranate Juice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pomegranate Juice

What are your thoughts as to a small daily ingestion of pomegranate juice, ala 4oz? I currently live in Afghanistan and the stuff is everywhere! It's also amazingly delicious. The downside, I'm trying to lose weight and all that sugar in their is scaring me. Is a *small* cup gonna do much damage if I'm sticking 100% to everything else (high fat, moderate protein, just veggies for carbs). I also consume a fair number of beets each week, about 1 medium sized one each day. My thinking is that since the pomegranate juice contains the pulp, hence the 'whole fruit', it has to be better than a glass of OJ of apple juice.

And just to be clear, I'm not talking about POM or any other brand that they sell in the states. This is stop on the dirt road, pick a pomegranate, watch it be juiced whole and put into a glass stuff we're talking about... if that matters at all....

Comment

Sounds great. I wish I could stop at a stand on the road and be handed a glass (or cup). That little sugar can't hurt.
      "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

I'd be queueing up to buy that. Sounds great.

What sort of juicer do they use? Do they put the whole fruit through, or just the little red arils?

Comment

They just use the red part, but the pulp goes in. I mean, the pit/seed is optional anyways..... I'd consider the red part the 'whole fruit', unless the seed is loaded with vitamins or something.

Comment

I buy pom all the time. I don't drink it straight up and prefer to add a tbsp here and there to dressings. But if you can get fresh squeezed juice go for it!

Comment

If you're trying to lose weight and you find that you are not losing, then it might be a problem. So I guess time will tell... : )
              Female, age 51, 5' 9"
              SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
              2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

4 oz is nothing. Plus, like you said, lots of people have traditionally spitted out the actual pits and just eaten the red part, and that in juice form is not that different. A little extra antioxidants and fluids is great especially with the assumptions I make about afghanistan climate. plus, the cultural enjoyment pays for any minute physical damage it might cause.
                If you have a few minutes- please take a look at my story, in my journal
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87400.html
                I do warn you, I am a copious writer.

Comment

Working...
                X