Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Hate the Taste of Fish...What Can I Do?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Hate the Taste of Fish...What Can I Do?!?

I've been primal for about 2.5 years and during that time I have tried to like the taste of fish. I can eat shrimp, fresh mussels, and canned sardines and that is about it. I find salmon particularly offensive. For 2.5 years I've been forcing this food down my own throat and I am sick of it. Would a combination of high quality grass fed beef, eggs, and cod-liver oil supplements effectively replace eating fish? Any thoughts or ideas from other fish haters out there?
    Primal Since September 2010
    Beginning Weight = 250lb
    Current Weight = 197lb
    Goal Weight = Whatever weight I am when I can do 30 pull ups without taking a break...

Yes. Dont eat things you hate, its more stress then its worth. Fish is not special, you can get everything you need elsewhere.

Comment

Zach, thanks for the confirmation...I'm so sick of trying to like salmon...yeah I know it's good for me but trying to keep from vomitting when eating is getting old. I think the kids are going to be more excited than me, neither of them like fish either!
      Beginning Weight = 250lb
      Current Weight = 197lb
      Goal Weight = Whatever weight I am when I can do 30 pull ups without taking a break...

Comment

The three you do like are fine. Dip the shrimp in melted grass fed butter, eat the mussels in a broth made with some olive oil in it, and the canned sardines are good just as they are.

If you're worried you're deficient in a given nutrient, maybe track for awhile on one of the food trackers, then find what other foods are rich in that nutrient.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

JoanieL,

Excellent suggestion. I'm going to track for the next two weeks and see what if anything I'm missing from my diet. Any suggestions on food tracking sites? I've used FitDay but don't like it much, I find their food search awkward to use.
          Beginning Weight = 250lb
          Current Weight = 197lb

Comment

Originally posted by NickBall View Post
            JoanieL,

Excellent suggestion. I'm going to track for the next two weeks and see what if anything I'm missing from my diet. Any suggestions on food tracking sites? I've used FitDay but don't like it much, I find their food search awkward to use.
            I use this site Food journal for the Paleo Diet - PaleoTrack

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

Fish is a weird one for me too. Have you tried smoked salmon, or raw salmon (sashimi grade)? I am not fond of fully cooked salmon steaks, but I love those. I'm kind-of the same way with tuna, I prefer it raw because it doesn't taste as fishy. I love catfish, but only if we've caught it that day or we're eating at a marina or lakeside restaurant that catches it that same day. It goes fishy really fast. One exception to my weird fish preferences is salmon patties, even my picky preschooler loves them. In fact, we're having those tonight with some leftover tzatziki dip.

Sometimes I think that people have food cravings/aversions for a reason. I've been craving fish lately, and realized it might be because I've been out of my fish oil supplement for about a month.

Comment

Have you tried Tilapia? It doesn't taste fishy at all. I coat it with almond flour and fry it in a pan with butter. Sometimes I just have fish to make my meat last a little longer since I get in from a local farm. It's also nice to have one day where I just have a none meat source.

Comment

I don't recommend tilapia. Sardines are one of the best fish you can eat. The other two aren't true fish at all (evolutionarily speaking, they would be more correct to call you a fish, but culinarily it's a convention to call them "seafood" and sometimes "fish"), but confer a lot of the benefits usually associated with fish. I'd skip the salmon that you don't like and not sweat it for a second if your diet is nutritionally sound otherwise.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I'd agree, don't eat it if you hate it. You can supplement to get the omega-3 from fish, if you need to.

I'd try halibut though- it's got a delicate flavor. It's not as high in omegas as salmon but it's still got some and when I was a kid I hated salmon but liked halibut. Now as an adult I love salmon but still love halibut. Cod, too, is good but it's a bit fishier.
                    High Weight: 225
                    Weight at start of Primal: 189
                    Current Weight: 174
                    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I agree with Joaniet. Make sure you're getting enough Omega-3 to balance your Omega-6 intake, and that you're taking a really good Omega-3; I've found that a lot of them upset my stomach, and with good reason, many have soy or soybean oil in them.
                      "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

CRON-O-Meter: Track nutrition & count calories is one that's okay. If a food you eat isn't in their database, you can google that food and then put its nutritional profile in with the "Add Food" function. It will always show up for you after that. It's a little quirky sometimes, so other posters may know of better trackers.

May I extend my thanks to those who don't like fish/seafood everywhere - more for me!

Also, just to gross people out a little more, I believe that the nearest land dwelling relative to things like lobster, shrimp, and crawfish is.... wait for it....

The Cockroach!
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                          CRON-O-Meter: Track nutrition & count calories is one that's okay. If a food you eat isn't in their database, you can google that food and then put its nutritional profile in with the "Add Food" function. It will always show up for you after that. It's a little quirky sometimes, so other posters may know of better trackers.

May I extend my thanks to those who don't like fish/seafood everywhere - more for me!

Also, just to gross people out a little more, I believe that the nearest land dwelling relative to things like lobster, shrimp, and crawfish is.... wait for it....

The Cockroach!

Haha, people think im crazy for calling lobster and crab giant sea bugs. Cant stand shellfish.

I like nutritiondata.com, has an amazing nutrient breakdown. Just ignore the inflammation meter.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                            Haha, people think im crazy for calling lobster and crab giant sea bugs.
                            No, lobster and crab are giant sea bugs. You're crazy for a whole different bunch of reasons
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Tilapia I can choke down but it is still unpleasant. Occassionally I will cook it for my wife who loves fish. Thanks for the tip.
                              Beginning Weight = 250lb
                              Current Weight = 197lb

Comment

Working...
                              X