No announcement yet.

Is grazing bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By constantly imputing food into your body you don't really give your digestive system a chance to rest and recharge as it were. I am a fan of the following analogy to explain this:

It's kind of like the battery phenomenon for electronic devices. If you keep the device (yourself) constantly charged (ie constantly filled with food), then you actually degrade the amount of charge the battery (your digestive system) can hold for you. The battery (your digestive system) needs to be used to power your device (you) without being plugged in at least occasionally, and even let to rest without being plugged in (fed) from time to time.

Not that you need to do this ALL the time, but recharge periods where you allow your digestive system to rest are a good idea. See Mark's series on fasting for more info about this.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

For me grazing leads to increased appetite, increased cravings and eventually weight gain.

It wasn't till I cut down to 1 or 2 larger daily meals, that I was finally able to lose 30+ lbs. and reach what I consider to be pretty much my goal weight and body composition.

But if a person is able to have reasonable caloric intake with 6 or 7 small meals, then they will probably be okay. Me, not so much.

Comment

Grazing is not god or bad by itself, it all depends on the total context of your diet. Many people, me included, can skip an early breakfast and graze on a few raw vegetables, a piece of low fat cheese when hungry and later eating a larger dinner, without being in danger of getting the metabolic syndrom or whatever. Grazing may work or not work, even for weightloss, but it also depends on various parameter, like the rest of the diet, what you are grazing on and how much, and also the individual. If grazing on a handful of raw broccoli makes you go binging, well then maybe grazing is not for you anyway...
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
        X