Insulin resistance + primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terry H View Post
    I wd. say if your doctor thinks there is a problem, get the HbA1c test immediately as he/she will suggest and prioritize getting the BG level w/in an acceptable range.Be quick in doing this and skip the self-hacks and the "tweaks" that people w/o metabolic issues are doing. The PB is on its own bat a great tool.You need to find out if any other tools are necessary at this point in time-exercise, medication, etc. We don't want this to become chronic,right? Good luck!
    The Dr did not put that test on the pathology request.
    What is it for?

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
      The Dr did not put that test on the pathology request.
      What is it for?
      Hb

HbA1c gives an average of your blood glucose level over a 3 month period.
      A1c Hemoglobin Levels Test for Diabetes: What's Normal?

If I was in your position I would have the tests, your doctor recommended, done now. I believe knowledge is power.

In 2008 my fasting glucose, fasting insulin and lipid panel made it clear I was pre-diabetic. I took those results seriously as diabetes runs rampant in my family.

My test results ever since have been so good I have to fight my doctor to get some of those tests run once a year.

I also had to change my focus. Success for me came when I took weight out of the equation and focused on health. I told myself I could remain obese if I got and stayed healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
        But to me eating when I'm not hungry is not a good thing as its what I used to do when bingeing .
        And zach what would you suggest I do then? Hmm
        Ignore Zach. He's just a troll.

I think that while eating lower carb might possibly be helping your insulin resistance, I think that a better approach would be to focus on eating as wide a range of nutritious foods as possible. Calories are really only one nutrient.

If I were you I'd completely ignore calories (like you said, just follow hunger signals and you'll get enough) and focus on hitting all of the other nutrients you need. Try to make sure that everything you eat is nutritious (which also *might* counteract the self-harm aspect of ED?).

Speaking personally, when I went VLC and IF, I think I reduced my thyroid function. I'm currently consciously eating some carbs, brazil nuts and Nori (for selenium and iodine) to stimulate my thyroid. I also take Vitamin D and Magnesium. In addition to eating all the 'good' foods like eggs, organ meats, fish etc.

When you are hungry, make yourself dinner. Have dinner for breakfast, for lunch and for dinner. Dinner is a generous portion of meat, a generous portion of vegetables and if you like, one of those meals can have a small portion of starch such as half a sweet potato. If you are hungry between these meals, make bigger servings.
        +1
        Last edited by magicmerl; 02-07-2013, 02:31 PM.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

[QUOTE=magicmerl;1087352]Ignore Zach. He's just a troll./QUOTE]

+1

Ayla-
          When I gave up CW, I believe I was seriously insulin resistant and, as a result, had a great deal of trouble losing weight. I've eaten low-carb since early 2009 and have seen a great improvement. A recent NMR test gave me an insulin resistance score of 13 (reference range is <45 and low is considered to be anything <27.). My experience tells me that the carb pushers are either deranged or trolling is their sport. I have no idea why you ever listen to them. Keep eating well and give your body time to respond.
          Starting Weight: 197.5
          Current Weight: 123
          Far healthier!

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
            Ignore Zach. He's just a troll./QUOTE]

+1

Ayla-
            When I gave up CW, I believe I was seriously insulin resistant and, as a result, had a great deal of trouble losing weight. I've eaten low-carb since early 2009 and have seen a great improvement. A recent NMR test gave me an insulin resistance score of 13 (reference range is <45 and low is considered to be anything <27.). My experience tells me that the carb pushers are either deranged or trolling is their sport. I have no idea why you ever listen to them. Keep eating well and give your body time to respond.
            No actually it was you who was deranged, metabolically deranged. Being able to process carbs efficiently is a sign of great health. Avoiding them all together is absolutely not the answer. Your SAD diet does not equal my high carb diet.

Also hilarious the the above who called me a troll became hypothyroid on a VLC which is basically what im always talking about. Am i still a troll if im right all the time??

Ayla, im serious when i say i would help you if you ever decide this way of eating is not working. I hold no ill will towards anyone on these forums and i am sincere in trying to help.

Comment

I don't think Zach is a troll... Just sayin'.
              | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by janie View Post
                When I gave up CW, I believe I was seriously insulin resistant and, as a result, had a great deal of trouble losing weight.
                My experience, too, although I did not have any kind of lab test to confirm it. I just had a really hard time controlling my appetite and losing weight.

These days I eat really big meals. I prioritize meat, potatoes and vegetables for these meals. I'm doing this to help me lift weights and help me recover between sessions so that I can lift more weight next time. It's a really strange thing to do.

I say it is strange because I never have experienced having to make myself eat more so that I can do more than I did before. I've never had such direct and immediate feedback of the effect of food (and sleep) on my body. It's insane. And yet I have not blown up like a whale. If I ate equivalent calories of almond croissants, I'm sure that I would blow up like a whale. But meat, potatoes and vegetables and I don't.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Zach I'm very curious to know how you would tell me to eat

Comment

I had the blood test.
                    I am undecided what I will yet do once I get the results.

I want to just live, this is what attracted me to the PB in the first place. No counting or weighing or measuring.
                    I need to cut down on the stress in my life.

Comment

I thought you had some pretty good success on the PB and your only problem was you quit and went back to SAD and gained 40lbs. Why not just do what you did before?
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I did yes, not so much on the scales, but my measurements went down all over, but was doing CF at the same time.

Its OK I have realised I am just being impatient. I need to give it more time, and just stop stressing and focussing on the numbers, which is my plan now

Comment

Long term I believe a person should put on muscle. The more muscle a person carries, the fewer chronic problems they tend to have. It can help you mediate your blood sugars. The body tends to use its insulin more efficiently with higher lean mass. Its my belief that is one of the biggest contributors to the increase in Diabetes and other diseases. We as people don't have the muscle of even our most recent ancestors.

Comment

Working...
                          X