No announcement yet.

Insulin resistance + primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry I'm sure Zachs girlfriend will be along shortly to harass me too

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
      In 4 months??
      YES! Also you have starved yourself before.

Comment

I said that but it was never more than a day before I was starving and had to eat and it was not often. So wrong answer again buddy

Comment

Don't worry I'm sure Zachs girlfriend will be along shortly to harass me too
          Its funny that all of you need to remind her that im the troll just because i am giving her an answer she doesnt want to hear but she knows is right.

Dont worry, im well aware you wont listen to me, Ayla. Just remember this in a few months when your health is much worse and you are in a binge. PM me if you ever want some help.

Comment

So you suggest I make myself eat even when not hungry?
            Absolutely. You do realise you need the calories to keep your body running, right? There's no point in eating below your BMR, in fact, odds are that will hinder your process. You may lose weight, sure, but you will inevitably gain it back when you start eating more or - hell, even the same - due to the loss of LBM. So you'll lose weight consisting of both fat and muscle, then gain more weight of mostly fat. I don't think you want that.
            I don't see what the problem here, is. According to your sig, your current weight is 105 KG. Well, I'm 54-55KG and would LOSE weight sitting on my arse all day doing nothing at 17-1800kcal. What exactly have you got against eating more? Eating is fun.

This is not something I want to do as a former binger
            There's a big difference between eating more food and binge eating - which is classified as an eating disorder. Similarly, there's a difference between losing weight at a reasonable caloric deficit and losing weight via anorexic tendencies, ie, starvation.

Do I suggest eating a bit more ver jumping from one disorder to the opposite extreme? Hell freaking yes.
            Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
            https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
            MFP Food Diary:
            http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
            (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

But to me eating when I'm not hungry is not a good thing as its what I used to do when bingeing .
              And zach what would you suggest I do then? Hmm

Comment

I agree with everyone (even Zach) suggesting you need to eat more. Eat at least BMR most days. Use fasting strategically to lower fat on occasion but make sure you still dial in calories weekly. Remember, if you needed 2,000 calories to maintain daily, then you need 14,000 calories a week. It doesn't really matter if you eat a strict 2,000 every day, but make sure you make up for fasting days by consuming even more on other days.

I would recommend two days (not necessarily in a row) of strict fasting per week, then making sure to make up the missed calories on those days by eating more throughout the rest of the week.

However, it is rediculous to suggest that low carb caused your insulin issues. Low carb CAN cause insulin resistance when first starting out because your body needs time to adjust to a new way of eating, but that's only natural. Your body needs to adjust to anything new. After sticking to it for a while your body gets used to operating on the lower insulin levels and even ketones (if you go that low), and you can run just fine.

However, in your case, you might have pushed the ketosis thing too fast. I would concentrate on low carb eating and getting lots of primal-approved exercise such as bodyweight work, lifting heavy things, and some moderate cardio into your routine. I wouldn't stress the daily weigh-ins, the protein counting, the fat content of your foods, at least, not until you have reversed your insulin issues.

BECAUSE you have insulin issues, you might not be reaping all of the benefits that you otherwise might from being in ketosis. Work on the most important issues you have first (getting back to the basics to deal with your insulin problems) and THEN bring in some more advanced techniques (such as ketosis) to support your health once you have delt with the main issues.
                Last edited by Drumroll; 02-06-2013, 09:03 PM.
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

But to me eating when I'm not hungry is not a good thing as its what I used to do when bingeing .
                  Then eat more calorie dense meals.

If you track calories (which I am assuming you do, since you state you periodically come under 1300), you're not running off your hunger but off a number. So why not boost the calories to the recommended number set your you to lose weight and just meet that? Don't need to eat more volume, but more dense meals. Easy.

MFP Food Diary:

Comment

No one is claiming you are troll over the binge idea...LOL...how is your friend who wants money for the answer to all our problems...you seemed to drop that thread pretty fast.
                    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                    PS
                    Don't forget to play!

Comment

And zach what would you suggest I do then? Hmm
                      You should listen to your body but as others have suggested eat more calorie / high fat meals when you do it to make sure your calories are up.
                      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                      PS
                      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Ayla-
                        What you might try is boosting your caloric intake to BMR +200 kcal. While that is more than you are eating (by a significant amount some days, likely), it gives your body a better chance to heal from all you inflicted it with over the years. In all honesty, I'd say throw the caloric deficit out the window wand concentrate on healing, but I know that would get dismissed. Give your body at least what it needs for bare survival and being awake and it'll return the favor by trying to heal.
                        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
                          Then eat more calorie dense meals.

If you track calories (which I am assuming you do, since you state you periodically come under 1300), you're not running off your hunger but off a number. So why not boost the calories to the recommended number set your you to lose weight and just meet that? Don't need to eat more volume, but more dense meals. Easy.
                          I track occasionally but it doesn't change how much I need to eat.
                          I can no longer eat huge amounts at once

Comment

And I do eat calorie dense meals.
                            I just don't track every day but I eat similar so I do know approx

Comment

Anyway I know it's just time my body needs and possibly eating more so will work on that .
                              May take meds if it shows I need it but still need to look into that more

Comment

I track occasionally but it doesn't change how much I need to eat.
                                I can no longer eat huge amounts at once
                                I'm sure you old very easily find a way, once you stop pretending you can't.

Whatever. Your choice, in the end. Just as long as you know you're not doing yourself any favours in the short or long term by starving yourself.

MFP Food Diary:

Comment

Working...
                                X